2022 Georgia Senate Race (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    Senator Warnock won in a special election to fill the remainder of Johnny Isakson's seat - which expires January 2023. This means the seat is up for election in 2022, where Warnock will run as the incumbent and the GOP field that is now led by former running back Hershel Walker, who has been enthusiastically endorsed by Donald Trump.

mmmm, sounds like some of that critical race theory I've been hearing so much about
    =============================================================

The Georgia Senate race has led to a runoff—set to take place Dec. 6— between Democratic incumbent Raphael Warnock and Republican Herschel Walker, but historically runoffs in the state were created to suppress the Black vote.

Georgia is one of only two states, along with Louisiana, that requires a runoff in all general elections if no candidate achieves at least 50% of the vote; and experts say Georgia’s history shows how an electoral system that demands the majority’s support can be manipulated to exclude the minority vote...........

The segregationist history of behind Georgia’s runoffs

Georgia’s runoff system began in 1963 when state representative Denmark Groover—an avid segregationist—proposed adding a second round of voting to ensure that at least half of all constituents backed a candidate.

Groover’s proposal came a few years after he lost his previous election bid in 1958, which he blamed on “Negro bloc voting,” or that theoretically, if Black voters put up a united front and voted consistently, it would further their political interests. Groover thought that a runoff would decrease the likelihood of an African-American being elected because it would rally white voters around a white candidate.

Before this practice was put into place, the state used the county unit system, which allocated a set number of votes per county, similar to the U.S. electoral college. The Supreme Court struck the county unit system down, creating the opportunity to use a different system.

According to a 2007 study by the National Park Service twenty years after the runoff practice was put in place Groover admitted, “If you want to establish if I was racially prejudiced, I was. If you want to establish that some of my political activity was racially motivated, it was.”

Dr. Bernard Fraga, a political science professor at Emory University who specializes in electoral, racial and ethnic politics, tells TIME that the 50% threshold sprang up “in many states of the South” at the same time as “other measures designed to reduce the likelihood that Black voters could elect candidates of choice.”

“Unless there’s only two candidates, it’s very hard, in most cases, to reach that majority threshold,” Brown says. Historians point out that under plurality voting, which is the more common system where the candidate with most votes wins, politicians often feared that white voters could end up divided between multiple candidates.

“In Georgia, for decades, the runoff strongly favored Republican candidates, in the sense that Republicans were able to consolidate their support after a runoff election, even if they were lagging somewhat in the general,” Fraga says, explaining how Republicans, whose voting bloc was predominantly white, tended to benefit most from runoffs...............

Interesting read. Glad he mentioned ranked-choice voting. It needs to be everywhere.

As much as Republicans whine about RCV, it could have saved them in this election.
    The only R on many tickets was certifiably unhinged, so the Dem picked up the 'holding my nose' vote.
    Give those same voters someone hinged to choose and they'd have done so.

ok. I don't know if I'd want to see this or not
    ================
    Former Dallas Cowboys star Michael Irvin is showing a lot of faith in Herschel Walker, the retired football player who is now running for the U.S. Senate seat in Georgia. Speaking with Fox News, Irvin said Walker believes he can do anything, including taking down Mike Tyson in a fight.

“I never doubted Herschel in anything that he has done,” Irvin told Fox News. “One of the first things Herschel said to me was, ‘Mike, you know, I really think I could beat Mike Tyson,’ This was when Mike Tyson was hitting you in the head, and your whole body just exploded. I said, ‘Dude, why you talking like this? What is this? Some death wish? What are you talking about?’ But he was dead serious.”

According to Marca, Herschel and Irvin played together on the Dallas Cowboys in 1988. Irvin said that’s when he noticed Herschel’s fiery competitive spirit.

“He looked at me and was like, ‘I’m telling you, Mike, I can beat him.’ He believes he can do [anything] and beat everybody at everything,” the former wide receiver said. “He’s that kind of a competitor. He was that kind of athlete.”............

================
    Former Dallas Cowboys star Michael Irvin is showing a lot of faith in Herschel Walker, the retired football player who is now running for the U.S. Senate seat in Georgia. Speaking with Fox News, Irvin said Walker believes he can do anything, including taking down Mike Tyson in a fight.

“I never doubted Herschel in anything that he has done,” Irvin told Fox News. “One of the first things Herschel said to me was, ‘Mike, you know, I really think I could beat Mike Tyson,’ This was when Mike Tyson was hitting you in the head, and your whole body just exploded. I said, ‘Dude, why you talking like this? What is this? Some death wish? What are you talking about?’ But he was dead serious.”

According to Marca, Herschel and Irvin played together on the Dallas Cowboys in 1988. Irvin said that’s when he noticed Herschel’s fiery competitive spirit.

“He looked at me and was like, ‘I’m telling you, Mike, I can beat him.’ He believes he can do [anything] and beat everybody at everything,” the former wide receiver said. “He’s that kind of a competitor. He was that kind of athlete.”............

Tyson 1988:

I don't think so Herschel.

================

Most people would be worse off taking a punch from Tyson. Not sure about Walker.

================

I guess Irving missed out on this recent story...

Walker won't get 45% of the runoff vote.

All those people who showed up to stop Stacy Abrams are going to stay home for the runoff. The MAGA crew may show up for him, but i don't think that's going to be enough to stop a blowout.

Walker won't get 45% of the runoff vote.

All those people who showed up to stop Stacy Abrams are going to stay home for the runoff. The MAGA crew may show up for him, but i don't think that's going to be enough to stop a blowout.
    It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. My hunch is that some 'normie' Republicans will sit this one out since Kemp has been elected. Then you have some MAGA-moos who think it's all rigged and will sit it out regardless. Dems need to motivate their base + independents again.

I don't like the idea of counting on Republicans to not show up at the polls. Does anyone know what the overall strategy is for turnout? Reality is you get to put a lot of 30-40 year olds on the federal bench. That's no where near as impactful as 2k checks from last time. I wonder how they plan on "selling" this to voters.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom