While we are all distracted with this virus... Proposed Gun Legislation. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe Okc

Better Days
    Reaction score
    Democrat Henry Hank introduced HR5717.. House Bill for Gun control...

• generally requires individuals to obtain a license to purchase, acquire, or possess a firearm or ammunition;
    • raises the minimum age—from 18 years to 21 years—to purchase firearms and ammunition;
    • establishes new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties;
    • requires law enforcement agencies to be notified following a firearms-related background check that results in a denial;
    • creates a statutory process for a family or household member to petition a court for an extreme risk protection order to remove firearms from an individual who poses a risk of committing violence;
    • restricts the import, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices;
    • restricts the manufacture, sale, transfer, purchase, or receipt of ghost guns (i.e., guns without serial numbers);
    • makes trafficking in firearms a stand-alone criminal offense;
    • requires federally licensed gun dealers to submit and annually certify compliance with a security plan to detect and deter firearm theft;
    • removes limitations on the civil liability of gun manufacturers;
    • allows the Consumer Product Safety Commission to issue safety standards for firearms and firearm components;
    • establishes a community violence intervention grant program; and
    • promotes research on firearms safety and gun violence prevention.

For the life of me, why would anyone want to willfully conceal the guns they had. What are you wanting to hide here?

Do you remember Beto gleefully screeching on national TV that hell yeah, he is going to take your AR 15s?

That was your first mistake. Lol.

It's not a logical thing. It's a feeling. Democrats are nefarious.

Not saying I'm immune to that type of feeling myself as I often feel the same of Republicans.
    The line about the bill being proposed on 1/30 and then trump doing his thing the next day is just stupid, as if the democrats knew in advance of what trump was going to do. It makes zero sense and as you indicated, it was not based on any earthly logic.

As to feeling that Republicans are nefarious, there's plenty of evidence for that recently including Mitch McConnell, the US senator that pushes legislation that favors Moscow because he is in bed with them, attempted to add $250 billion to the SBA loan program without addressing any problems of the previous legislation. Don't forget the first legislation where no democrats were included in the bill in the senate.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Do you remember Beto gleefully screeching on national TV that hell yeah, he is going to take your AR 15s?

He quickly faded out if the primary right after that. Obviously that statement wasn't well received, even by democrats. So what's your point?

Yes.. I understand... But the filing could have waited.... Jan 30 it was proposed... and Jan 31 was when Trump issued Travel restrictions from China... So a lot was happening at the end of January.

This could have waited. .But it is so.. so over the edge with new regulations.. The timing of it all just seems so funny. It's just so radical. Almost seems like they were trying to slip it in before the chaos.

Trump said there was no danger and no cases and it would be over in a week yet here you are believing that some house member knew what we faced and planned the date to introduce this legislation, right?

That's what you're saying.

The whole thing is a big hoax put together so that this guy could take away your guns?

This is the largest and most drastic gun control bill released to date.

Can you tell me that the timing doesn't look suspicious? Had this bill be introduced a year ago.. It would be top news.. Blowing facebook up. All over Fox and every right leaning media outlet, talk show and newspaper.

But since it is released now, not a word is mentioned about it because the entire talk of our Nation, media and the world is Covid 19 and what's going on with that mess... Almost like it's trying to be slipped in under the radar.

Ironically, if the 12 provisions you posted, you have personally acknowledged support for almost all of them.

I stated it was almost a two fold conversation here.

1. The timing is really suspicious... It just is... Especially with this being the most incredible gun bill ever.
    2. The bill itself. It itself is incredible.
    Joe, this is embarrassing, because I'm British and I know that it's trivial and not remotely suspicious. House bills just being introduced is not a significant act. It's not something that achieves anything by being somehow snuck under the radar. That's not how any of that works.

Put it this way, in the current congress, 9,968 bills have been introduced so far. A bill being introduced is not remarkable.

This is just another gun control bill. Literally, gun control bills are introduced so often it'd almost be weird if one isn't introduced at any particular point in time.

Take a look at the list of bills that comes up when you search for ones similar to HR 5717: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/browse?congress=116#similar_to=H.R.5717/116

There's plenty of room to discuss what should and shouldn't be done regarding gun control.

But "LOOK AT THEM SNEAKING THIS ONE BILL INTO THE HOUSE!" is not a thing. It just isn't.

Rob, no reason to be embarrassed. Your off the hook on this one, this is Americans trying to seize American citizens firearms. :)

No, it's not. It's about trying to regulate firearms and keep them out of the hands of those who should not have them.

We can disagree with the approach without lying about it, can't we?

He quickly faded out if the primary right after that. Obviously that statement wasn't well received, even by democrats. So what's your point?

And when Biden was running around collecting endorsements right before Super Thursday he told Beto that he would be the point man on gun control.

Insinuating the timing has any level of...nefarity...is just searching for a reason to be outraged.

These sorts of measures didn’t just suddenly pop up when COVID did.

You’re also glossing over the fact the bill has to be voted on by Democrats and Republicans in both chambers. Regardless of the public at large knowing this was introduced, the congressfolk know where their constituents stand on these issues and are going to vote accordingly. Like with most bills.

Anyone who watches gun control as ardently as you do would be positioned to know this was introduced, and would spread the word accordingly (which you kinda are with this thread).

No, it's not. It's about trying to regulate firearms and keep them out of the hands of those who should not have them.

We can disagree with the approach without lying about it, can't we?
    Was it lying or making a joke? Should be pretty easy to figure it out with the big smiley face, but please, continue with the lecture.

I've always found this whole argument silly as hell. Sure, have your (general you) stickers and flags about your defiance to the government. I get the 'im a rugged individualist' appeal. And also I don't from a practicality standpoint.

In the end, you can't own anything in the same galaxy as our armed forces, so the original cause argument is far and away not even an argument anymore. It's just about 'what will the government let me have to defend myself from a rogue wild animal or burglar' now.

That's either unfair or justified. Either way, it's a lost cause already.

Joe, this is embarrassing, because I'm British and I know that it's trivial and not remotely suspicious. .
    I find this more embarrassing:

As to feeling that Republicans are nefarious, there's plenty of evidence for that recently including Mitch McConnell, the US senator that pushes legislation that favors Moscow because he is in bed with them . . .

Utterly, completely ridiculous, RobF. Wouldn't you agree?

I've always found this whole argument silly as hell. Sure, have your (general you) stickers and flags about your defiance to the government. I get the 'im a rugged individualist' appeal. And also I don't from a practicality standpoint.

In the end, you can't own anything in the same galaxy as our armed forces, so the original cause argument is far and away not even an argument anymore. It's just about 'what will the government let me have to defend myself from a rogue wild animal or burglar' now.

That's either unfair or justified. Either way, it's a lost cause already.

You really can't convince me that it's not necessary to be prepared to protect my family.
    Especially not now.

Whatever the argument about the bill notwithstanding, the Congressional session started in early January. It's not that uncommon to introduce bills early in the congressional session. I'd imagine it had more to do with the Election, since bills tend to sit around for a while - or die.

The house has been meeting for about 140 days a year on the average the last decade or so. There are not a lot of days to introduce legislation.

The NRA and Republicans have been sounding the alarm about Democrats trying to take away gun rights since I was old enough to own a gun - or since about 1980 in my recollection. Yet, in those 40 years, despite mass shooting after mass shooting, the only thing that's happened is a short-lived "assault weapons" ban and magazine restrictions in a few states.

Gun rights are about the last right I'd worry about losing due to Covid-19.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom