While we are all distracted with this virus... Proposed Gun Legislation. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe Okc

Better Days
    Reaction score
    Democrat Henry Hank introduced HR5717.. House Bill for Gun control...

• generally requires individuals to obtain a license to purchase, acquire, or possess a firearm or ammunition;
    • raises the minimum age—from 18 years to 21 years—to purchase firearms and ammunition;
    • establishes new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties;
    • requires law enforcement agencies to be notified following a firearms-related background check that results in a denial;
    • creates a statutory process for a family or household member to petition a court for an extreme risk protection order to remove firearms from an individual who poses a risk of committing violence;
    • restricts the import, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices;
    • restricts the manufacture, sale, transfer, purchase, or receipt of ghost guns (i.e., guns without serial numbers);
    • makes trafficking in firearms a stand-alone criminal offense;
    • requires federally licensed gun dealers to submit and annually certify compliance with a security plan to detect and deter firearm theft;
    • removes limitations on the civil liability of gun manufacturers;
    • allows the Consumer Product Safety Commission to issue safety standards for firearms and firearm components;
    • establishes a community violence intervention grant program; and
    • promotes research on firearms safety and gun violence prevention.

This is the largest and most drastic gun control bill released to date.

Can you tell me that the timing doesn't look suspicious? Had this bill be introduced a year ago.. It would be top news.. Blowing facebook up. All over Fox and every right leaning media outlet, talk show and newspaper.

But since it is released now, not a word is mentioned about it because the entire talk of our Nation, media and the world is Covid 19 and what's going on with that mess... Almost like it's trying to be slipped in under the radar.

It was from Jan 30th not yesterday, and wanna know what the top news story was on Jan 31st?

Fox News Morning Update: January 31, 2020 - Facebook

Top story? Impeachment witness debate, State dept warns of travel TO China and woman finds her dog on a beer can.

Where was the outrage then????

Last edited by a moderator:
    This is the largest and most drastic gun control bill released to date.

Can you tell me that the timing doesn't look suspicious? Had this bill be introduced a year ago.. It would be top news.. Blowing facebook up. All over Fox and every right leaning media outlet, talk show and newspaper.

But since it is released now, not a word is mentioned about it because the entire talk of our Nation, media and the world is Covid 19 and what's going on with that mess... Almost like it's trying to be slipped in under the radar.

It was released before anything had happened regarding COVID-19. No travel restrictions had been put in place, no social distancing measures had been suggested, nothing.

After this bill was released, it was still weeks before COVID-19 became a huge story in the US. There was plenty of time for people opposed to gun control to talk about it before COVID-19 became a dominating storyline. It seems like you're searching for a reason to be outraged.

i suggest you do some research on this topic.

There is a coronavirus thread here, started on FEb 25 that you were partaking in. And from the general early replies, from you, you seemed to think that it wasnt going to be that big of deal. That Trump had things under control and that this was more of a "democratic party" play to damage Trump.

Moreover, we had another thread on the EE board.

Wanna know when you joined the discussion? FEb 29th. When you posted that 2 cases were confirmed in your area.

So thats roughly 38 days from the start of that thread that was giving you all the info available. In that 38 days, your President made it a point to tell the American people that there was absolutely nothing sinister or dire about this virus and that it was no more than the flu. That the flu kills more each year than this. And that soon we will be to zero cases.

So forgive me if i seem indifferent to your calls that this is a "democratic ploy" or plot.

You, just as they, were relying on the words and actions of your President, and he failed you and everyone else.

ITs now known that intelligence had inserted pretty substantial information in DEc 2019 in his Presidential Daily Briefings. The same briefs he routinely ignores since taking office.

Janurary 30, 2020 - Gun Bill introduced
    Sponsor:Rep. Johnson, Henry C. "Hank," Jr. [D-GA-4] (Introduced 01/30/2020)

Janurary 31, 2020 - Trump declares Coronavirus a public health emergency and restricts travel from China.

It was released before anything had happened regarding COVID-19. No travel restrictions had been put in place, no social distancing measures had been suggested, nothing.

After this bill was released, it was still weeks before COVID-19 became a huge story in the US. There was plenty of time for people opposed to gun control to talk about it before COVID-19 became a dominating storyline. It seems like you're searching for a reason to be outraged.

I am going to quote you and put the same thing that I did for 4eifl.

Janurary 31, 2020 - Trump declares Coronavirus a public health emergency and restricts travel from China.

That is 1 days difference.

Last edited:

for your reading pleasure.

Right, the gun bill was introduced BEFORE the travel restriction. As in before, like you know before there was a travel restriction. Are you saying the Democrats could look into the future and predict what Trump was going to do? You know that he did not brief them ahead of time.

Second, even after the travel restriction was put in place. COVID-19 was still not a big storyline... until the end of February.

So your theory is that the Democrats started writing a bill in August, and released it in January, because they could predict that in the future, Trump was going to institute a travel ban and that a story that wasn't big yet, was going to become big... to what purpose exactly?

You know the bill didn't have a chance of becoming law, right? The Democrats knew this also. So why write a bill that they know isn't going to get passed. It's because they WANT people to talk about. They WANT to use it as an issue.

So your theory neither passes the plausibility nor the motive test. There is no evidence that the Democrats can predict the future, and they have no motive to not have an issue they want people to talk about to be buried.

As much as Republicans complain about liberal outrage culture, it seems just as bad on the Republican side to me.

The Democrats have been taking about and advocating for all of these regulations on gun purchases for years. I don't see what's so extreme or out there about this proposed law. :idunno:

Right, the gun bill was introduced BEFORE the travel restriction. As in before, like you know before there was a travel restriction. Are you saying the Democrats could look into the future and predict what Trump was going to do? You know that he did not brief them ahead of time.

Second, even after the travel restriction was put in place. COVID-19 was still not a big storyline... until the end of February.

So your theory is that the Democrats started writing a bill in August, and released it in January, because they could predict that in the future, Trump was going to institute a travel ban and that a story that wasn't big yet, was going to become big... to what purpose exactly?

You know the bill didn't have a chance of becoming law, right? The Democrats knew this also. So why write a bill that they know isn't going to get passed. It's because they WANT people to talk about. They WANT to use it as an issue.

So your theory neither passes the plausibility nor the motive test. There is no evidence that the Democrats can predict the future, and they have no motive to not have an issue they want people to talk about to be buried.

As much as Republicans complain about liberal outrage culture, it seems just as bad on the Republican side to me.

You guys crack me up... You really do...

On one hand you guys go:
    Trump and the whole world knew about Covid 19 for months before he did anything and how bad it was... He had plenty of time but he did nothing...

And then on the other you turn around and say.. Oh, but the Democrats didn't know what was going on. They had no crystal ball...

But if you guys think for one minute that on Jan 30th Democrats weren't around the water cooler talking about Chinese Virus's, the possability congress not coming back from recess, the country being infected and Congress possibly being suspended...

Then I have some Ocean Front Property in Oklahoma for sale very cheap and you should get in now while you can.

I mean really.. They had a whistleblowerr listen in on a simple phone coversation with Ukraine that started an impeachment, now you tell me nobody had any knowledge that Trump was gonna declare a National emergency and restrict travel from china with this thing making world headlines? Incredible..

Last edited:
    This isn't about Democrats knowing anything... I was just pointing out that things were starting to get very serious around the end of January when this was Proposed. Doesn't matter whether he told Dems anything or not.

Just very ironic to me that this got proposed at a period of time in our history that everything is in chaos and the Media and everyone is focused on one thing and one thing only.. This Virus.

But yet a Democrat proposes one of the most out there pieces in history of guns legislative proposals.

Who is a republican here? Not me. But reporting how much Ammo I buy? Really.. Raising the Taxes?

Here's the thing.. I may support the Federal License... But does that mean that I can carry a weapon in every state? Or is it just more restrictions on me (legal Citizen) with no benefits?

As... The reporting of what I buy and how much to the Government? Like I said.. What if you had to report to the government how much money that you had? At home and in the banks? You'd be cool with that?

I tells ya... The timing on this is just too coincidental.

Joe, I don't understand. Are you wanting to discuss the proposal and the merits of each section or are you mostly interested in assigning ulterior motives due to the timing of the introduction of the bill?

I am happy to discuss the elements of the bill as I would have concerns about the details of certain sections. The timing doesn't interest me much, since the House introduced a lot of other legislation on that same day, including the Save Our Girls from Sex Trafficking Act, legislation regarding voluntary grazing permit retirement, blast exposure protection and supporting local transportation. They also found time for resolutions supporting naming the week starting Feb. 2/3 both National School Counselors Week and National Tribal Colleges and Universities Week, while urging the election of Tom Flores to the NFL's Hall of Fame. I have no idea if any of these bills or resolutions passed.

Joe, I don't understand. Are you wanting to discuss the proposal and the merits of each section or are you mostly interested in assigning ulterior motives due to the timing of the introduction of the bill?

I am happy to discuss the elements of the bill as I would have concerns about the details of certain sections. The timing doesn't interest me much, since the House introduced a lot of other legislation on that same day, including the Save Our Girls from Sex Trafficking Act, legislation regarding voluntary grazing permit retirement, blast exposure protection and supporting local transportation. They also found time for resolutions supporting naming the week starting Feb. 2/3 both National School Counselors Week and National Tribal Colleges and Universities Week, while urging the election of Tom Flores to the NFL's Hall of Fame. I have no idea if any of these bills or resolutions passed.

I stated it was almost a two fold conversation here.

1. The timing is really suspicious... It just is... Especially with this being the most incredible gun bill ever.

2. The bill itself. It itself is incredible.

There is just so much here on this.

I am heading out an won;t be back until maybe later tomorrow or Sunday.. So I may be in and out.

You guys crack me up... You really do...

On one hand you guys go:
    Trump and the whole world knew about Covid 19 for months before he did anything and how bad it was... He had plenty of time but he did nothing...

And then on the other you turn around and say.. Oh, but the Democrats didn't know what was going on. They had no crystal ball...

But if you guys think for one minute that on Jan 30th Democrats weren't around the water cooler talking about Chinese Virus's, the possability congress not coming back from recess, the country being infected and Congress possibly being suspended...

Then I have some Ocean Front Property in Oklahoma for sale very cheap and you should get in now while you can.

I mean really.. They had a whistleblowerr listen in on a simple phone coversation with Ukraine that started an impeachment, now you tell me nobody had any knowledge that Trump was gonna declare a National emergency and restrict travel from china with this thing making world headlines? Incredible..

Wait, what? I'm really trying to figure out your logic on this. The Democrats introduce a bill they want people to talk about a day before a travel restriction they weren't briefed on went into effect, and 3 weeks before COVID-19 dominated the new cycle.

Are you saying that Democrats, and only Democrats were given intel briefings on this virus and they were able to use that information in advance, which Trump wasn't able to do, but Democrats were. And what the Democrats chose to do with this information is to introduce a bill that has no chance of becoming law because they DON'T want people talking about it?

Why would the Democrats introduce a bill that has no chance of becoming law if they don't want people talking about it.

And are you saying the Democrats are better able to determine the severity of a virus than the White House, but chose to do this with it?

As far as the actual bill... gun control isn't one of my hot button issues. I think some of the proposals seem reasonable, but others I worry about. I wonder what they mean by removing liability restrictions for gun manufactures, and how they propose to do enforcement for others.

I generally support policies that restrict idiots and criminals access to guns while allowing responsible citizens access. The devil is in the details of course.

Joe the Democrats didn’t put a whistleblower on the phone with Trump, jeebus. There have been some untruthy whoppers told on this site by some folks, but this is just out of left field.

There were multiple people from both countries on that call. Just like every other call between leaders. It is freaking standard operating procedure.

And Trump didn’t share information about the virus. Unless you are referring to accusing the Dems of perpetuating a hoax to hurt is re-election is sharing information. His “declaration” only restricted flights from China the next day after the vote.

As... The reporting of what I buy and how much to the Government? Like I said.. What if you had to report to the government how much money that you had? At home and in the banks? You'd be cool with that?

For the life of me, why would anyone want to willfully conceal the guns they had. What are you wanting to hide here?

Also, ever heard of tax forms? Unless you are committing fraud the government pretty much knows how much money you have.....

I am going to piggy back on the point and say the government has the ability to know everything about you. They just don’t have a reason to look until you give them one.

And they didn’t take your information. If you ever: worked, paid taxes, owned property and/or taken out a loan you have willfully given all of your financial information. Don’t want that? You trust the banking industry to be on the up and up without the government breathing down their neck?

You do realize Trump doesn’t include Democratic leaders in briefings. He purposely cuts them out. I doubt they knew the restrictions were coming till a press release was made.
    FIFY. Don't contribute to the pettiness. The adjective is democratic, not democrat. Democrat is a noun. The other usage is either ignorant or a petty epithet.

Democrat Henry Hank introduced HR5717.. House Bill for Gun control...

• generally requires individuals to obtain a license to purchase, acquire, or possess a firearm or ammunition;
    • raises the minimum age—from 18 years to 21 years—to purchase firearms and ammunition;
    • establishes new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties;
    • requires law enforcement agencies to be notified following a firearms-related background check that results in a denial;
    • creates a statutory process for a family or household member to petition a court for an extreme risk protection order to remove firearms from an individual who poses a risk of committing violence;
    • restricts the import, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices;
    • restricts the manufacture, sale, transfer, purchase, or receipt of ghost guns (i.e., guns without serial numbers);
    • makes trafficking in firearms a stand-alone criminal offense;
    • requires federally licensed gun dealers to submit and annually certify compliance with a security plan to detect and deter firearm theft;
    • removes limitations on the civil liability of gun manufacturers;
    • allows the Consumer Product Safety Commission to issue safety standards for firearms and firearm components;
    • establishes a community violence intervention grant program; and
    • promotes research on firearms safety and gun violence prevention.
    I think most of those proposal are very good. I do have a problem with a 7 day waiting period. 1 day is enough for people to cool down. Also, I think the extra excise tax is a distraction. That level of taxing is usually reserved for sins, but it isn't a sin to buy ammo and guns, however it is important to know who is buying it, because it is dangerous in the wrong hands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom