What happens to the Republican Party now? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

Space Force has all the answers to the "rigged" election, and George Bush is a Nazi. Wow.

I wonder if she meant G.W. or H.W. Bush? Or both?

Where does this stuff come from?

I forgot about this:

How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to power​

Duncan Campbell
    George Bush's grandfather, the late US senator Prescott Bush, was a director and shareholder of companies that profited from their involvement with the financial backers of Nazi Germany.

The Guardian has obtained confirmation from newly discovered files in the US National Archives that a firm of which Prescott Bush was a director was involved with the financial architects of Nazism.

His business dealings, which continued until his company's assets were seized in 1942 under the Trading with the Enemy Act, has led more than 60 years later to a civil action for damages being brought in Germany against the Bush family by two former slave labourers at Auschwitz and to a hum of pre-election controversy.

The evidence has also prompted one former US Nazi war crimes prosecutor to argue that the late senator's action should have been grounds for prosecution for giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

The debate over Prescott Bush's behaviour has been bubbling under the surface for some time. There has been a steady internet chatter about the "Bush/Nazi" connection, much of it inaccurate and unfair. But the new documents, many of which were only declassified last year, show that even after America had entered the war and when there was already significant information about the Nazis' plans and policies, he worked for and profited from companies closely involved with the very German businesses that financed Hitler's rise to power. It has also been suggested that the money he made from these dealings helped to establish the Bush family fortune and set up its political dynasty.

Remarkably, little of Bush's dealings with Germany has received public scrutiny, partly because of the secret status of the documentation involving him. But now the multibillion dollar legal action for damages by two Holocaust survivors against the Bush family, and the imminent publication of three books on the subject are threatening to make Prescott Bush's business history an uncomfortable issue for his grandson, George W, as he seeks re-election.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar

Wild, every time you think she's embarrassed herself enough, she finds a way to make it worse. Hard to believe it's even possible, but she's worse than Trump.
    She’s not the only one. Mollie Hemingway implied that Romney was a pedo-sympathizer for his vote on Twitter. There‘s a fair number of Rs now normalizing and mainstreaming the Q nonsense. Including several R senators during the hearing and today before the vote. It’s nauseating.

She’s not the only one. Mollie Hemingway implied that Romney was a pedo-sympathizer for his vote on Twitter. There‘s a fair number of Rs now normalizing and mainstreaming the Q nonsense. Including several R senators during the hearing and today before the vote. It’s nauseating.

On The Guardian’s Politics Weekly America, Media Matters’ Alex Kaplan explains how the QAnon community has shifted its focus to local elections​

Kaplan also discusses the community's reaction to the Supreme Court confirmation hearing of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson​

Written by Media Matters Staff
    04/01/22 12:45 PM EDT
    JOAN GREVE (GUEST HOST): So, as these Republican senators were questioning Judge [Ketanji Brown] Jackson over these unfounded claims, what was happening online as those hearings were unfolding?

ALEX KAPLAN (MEDIA MATTERS SENIOR RESEARCHER): The QAnon community was embracing the claim. You were seeing memes being shared among QAnon influencers pushing the claim. They were calling her a “pedo protector,” a “pedo sympathizer,” “soft on pedoes.” A QAnon show host, who, according to his own words, participated in the Capitol insurrection — he said that she was “an apologist for someone who was looking to judicial activism on behalf of child molesters and people like her colleagues in the Democrat Party.” Ron Watkins, who — a QAnon influencer and former administrator of the site where “Q” have been based, who may have been Q for a period of time himself, called her a “pedophile enabler.” Some actually pointed to her being the sentence — the person who sentenced the Pizzagate shooter as evidence for the claim. Some also invoked a longstanding claim that they have that President Biden is a pedophile himself as evidence for the claim. So they embraced it.
    https://www.mediamatters.org/qanon-...merica-media-matters-alex-kaplan-explains-how

This is the first I’m hearing of a primary challenger to MTG. This will be the first test of the theory that most Rs are normal conservatives and not Q nuts.

This is the first I’m hearing of a primary challenger to MTG. This will be the first test of the theory that most Rs are normal conservatives and not Q nuts.

Lol, I hope MTG goes down in flames. But I'd be surprised. Incumbents are usually ridiculously hard to unseat.

I thought they hated cancel culture?
    ============================

The GOP no longer argues that free markets, rather than government, should choose “winners and losers.”

In today’s Republican Party, the primary economic role of the state is not to get out of the way. It is, instead, to reward friends and crush political enemies.

Fox News anchor Laura Ingraham expressed the new ethos in a recent monologue threatening companies that advocated for LGBTQ rights, ballot access, racial justice and sundry other political stances that are anathema in today’s GOP.

“When Republicans, they get back into power, Apple and Disney need to understand one thing: Everything will be on the table,” Ingraham warned.

“Your copyright, trademark protection. Your special status within certain states. And even your corporate structure itself. The antitrust division at Justice needs to begin the process of considering which American companies need to be broken up once and for all for competition’s sake, and ultimately for the good of the consumers who pay the bills.”

This might have been an unusually eloquent articulation of Republicans’ punitive new approach to economic policy, but it is hardly unique to Ingraham.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is furious that Disney has publicly criticized his new law prohibiting classroom discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity (nicknamed the “Don’t Say Gay” law); beyond using his bully pulpit to rail against Disney’s supposed indecency, he has threatened to cancel Disney’s half-century-old special status under Florida law that enables the company to effectively govern itself on the grounds of its theme parks.

Similarly, last year, DeSantis signed a (likely unconstitutional) law to punish tech companies for privately determined content-moderation decisions, and another law that fines private companies that attempt to set vaccination requirements in their workplaces.

In other states, such as Georgia, GOP politicians have punished private companies for taking supposedly “woke” stands on issues such as gun violence. Republicans in Congress have likewise tried to use antitrust enforcement and other government levers to punish companies whose public stances on voting rights or internal policies on content moderation they dislike.

This approach to governance was expertly modeled by Donald Trump, who as president frequently used the power of the state to reward friends and punish perceived political enemies.
He did this through tax law, tariff policy and other proposed subsidies that chose winners and losers according to their political allegiances.

He selectively enforced energy policies, such as allowing offshore drilling, to dole out favors to friends. He allegedly attempted to block a government contract to Amazon because its founder, Jeff Bezos, owns The Post; he also tried to raise the prices the retail giant pays for U.S. Postal Service shipping.

He launched a bogus antitrust investigation into car companies that had opposed his lax emissions standards. He threatened to revoke the “licenses” of broadcast media firms whose coverage he disliked.

And that’s not getting into all the times he tried to weaponize his presidency to prosecute or otherwise punish politicians and private citizens (rather than companies)…….

I thought they hated cancel culture?
    ============================

The GOP no longer argues that free markets, rather than government, should choose “winners and losers.”

In today’s Republican Party, the primary economic role of the state is not to get out of the way. It is, instead, to reward friends and crush political enemies.

Fox News anchor Laura Ingraham expressed the new ethos in a recent monologue threatening companies that advocated for LGBTQ rights, ballot access, racial justice and sundry other political stances that are anathema in today’s GOP.

“When Republicans, they get back into power, Apple and Disney need to understand one thing: Everything will be on the table,” Ingraham warned.

“Your copyright, trademark protection. Your special status within certain states. And even your corporate structure itself. The antitrust division at Justice needs to begin the process of considering which American companies need to be broken up once and for all for competition’s sake, and ultimately for the good of the consumers who pay the bills.”

This might have been an unusually eloquent articulation of Republicans’ punitive new approach to economic policy, but it is hardly unique to Ingraham.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is furious that Disney has publicly criticized his new law prohibiting classroom discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity (nicknamed the “Don’t Say Gay” law); beyond using his bully pulpit to rail against Disney’s supposed indecency, he has threatened to cancel Disney’s half-century-old special status under Florida law that enables the company to effectively govern itself on the grounds of its theme parks.

Similarly, last year, DeSantis signed a (likely unconstitutional) law to punish tech companies for privately determined content-moderation decisions, and another law that fines private companies that attempt to set vaccination requirements in their workplaces.

In other states, such as Georgia, GOP politicians have punished private companies for taking supposedly “woke” stands on issues such as gun violence. Republicans in Congress have likewise tried to use antitrust enforcement and other government levers to punish companies whose public stances on voting rights or internal policies on content moderation they dislike.

This approach to governance was expertly modeled by Donald Trump, who as president frequently used the power of the state to reward friends and punish perceived political enemies.
He did this through tax law, tariff policy and other proposed subsidies that chose winners and losers according to their political allegiances.

He selectively enforced energy policies, such as allowing offshore drilling, to dole out favors to friends. He allegedly attempted to block a government contract to Amazon because its founder, Jeff Bezos, owns The Post; he also tried to raise the prices the retail giant pays for U.S. Postal Service shipping.

He launched a bogus antitrust investigation into car companies that had opposed his lax emissions standards. He threatened to revoke the “licenses” of broadcast media firms whose coverage he disliked.

And that’s not getting into all the times he tried to weaponize his presidency to prosecute or otherwise punish politicians and private citizens (rather than companies)…….

Let’s start with Koch Industries…followed by Goldman Sachs, the NRA etc.

Just kidding.

However…I would love to see the Mouse pull out of Florida.

It seems it was fairly much ignored by me - I don’t even remember hearing about it at all. I don’t think a grandfather’s actions should be held against his grandson, though. So it probably got about as much attention as it deserved. 🤷‍♀️
    Yeah, it has nothing to do with either G H.W. Bush or G W. Bush. I do remember it but not that much about the specifics.

Last edited:
    It seems it was fairly much ignored by me - I don’t even remember hearing about it at all. I don’t think a grandfather’s actions should be held against his grandson, though. So it probably got about as much attention as it deserved. 🤷‍♀️
    Yeah, it's pretty good conspiracy fodder though. This is the sort of thing that gives life to groups like Q.

So what ever happened with that nj guy?
    What is it..... nj37?
    He was "reported" correct? What was the result?
    Was his posts removed or something else happened?

Last edited:
    So what ever happened with that nj guy?
    What is it..... nj37?
    He was "reported" correct? What was the result?
    Was his posts removed or something else happened?
    He was banned. For a time. If he doesn’t adhere to the rules when and if he comes back, it will likely be permanent.

Tom Cotton going light on the facts again. Or rather using those “alternative” facts. I actually remember this because I thought it was one of the few sensible things the Trump Admin ever did.

Paul Gosar just cannot help himself. He just had to come out and claim he didn’t know what Fuentes stands for, hard to believe since he spoke at his conference two years in a row. But now he is set to speak at yet another white nationalist conference later this month - on Hitler’s birthday. Can’t make this stuff up, truly.

What I want to know is why the Republican Party doesn’t discipline him? Why would you not speak up at least and say this is unacceptable?

Tom Cotton going light on the facts again. Or rather using those “alternative” facts. I actually remember this because I thought it was one of the few sensible things the Trump Admin ever did.

Traitor Tom went light on facts? I am stunned, I tell you, stunned.

This is how bad Biden’s Administration is at messaging.

The deficit is on track to cut a TRILLION for the first time ever, the post office is saved and finally can operate without having draconian requirements that forced it into failure, Internationally we are again in lockstep and leading with Europe. Stock market soaring, unemployment is basically non-existent.

But what is all you hear about? Inflation and forking gas prices. Two things the President has almost nothing to do with.
    After all the years of crying for help, followed by the current Postmaster General trying to make its deathbed, Congress has finally come through to save the Postal Service from becoming insolvent. Key to the reform finally signed into law today is removal that archaic requirement forcing the USPS to fund health insurance for workers so far in advance.

and yet
    ===============

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Republicans are registering formerly Democratic voters at four times the rate that Democrats are making the reverse conversion in the battleground state of Pennsylvania, a warning sign for Democrats as they try to keep control of the U.S. Congress.

The Republican gains in Pennsylvania, home to a critical U.S. Senate race, follow a pattern seen in other states that could have competitive contests in November's elections, as high levels of disapproval with President Joe Biden's handling of his job are helping narrow the long-held advantage held by Democrats in numbers of registered voters.

"I just got fed up and just felt like there has to be a better way," said Beth Jones, 48, a retired Philadelphia police officer who last month registered as a Republican, ending her three-decade affiliation with the Democratic Party.

Similar to other recent converts interviewed by Reuters, Jones cited concerns about inflation and violent crime in making the switch.

Reuters examined registration data in six states that could see tight U.S. Senate races in November and which generally require voters to be members of a party to participate in nominating contests. While each state tracks voter registration differently, the review pointed to Republican gains in four of those states, and no substantial difference in two of them.

If Republicans retake control of either of both chambers of Congress in the Nov. 8 midterm elections, that will give them the power to bring Biden's legislative agenda to a halt.

'BAD NEWS FOR DEMOCRATS'

Nowhere is the Republican advance in voter registration more evident than in Pennsylvania, where so far this year Republicans have converted four Democrats for every Republican who has switched to the Democratic Party, according to data published by Pennsylvania's Department of State. That's on track to be the highest conversion rate in at least a decade and well above 2016, when Republicans took the White House, House of Representatives and Senate............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom