What are you listening to? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

my favorite group, period.

Led
    Also this…

Led Zeppelin had a amazing rejuvenation of creative lyrical and musical inspiration, supposedly, from this band.

That, and Jimmy Page really was inspired by the basic guitar intro, melody, and some of the lyrics from Jake Holmes "Dazed and Confused". I don't really blame or fault Robert Plant for a good deal of the alleged, notorious double-dealing, somewhat ruthless contract negotiations their manager, Peter Grant, did for them because he was only 19 when he joined Zeppelin and JPJ and Page, musically and creatively, were so much more mature in almost everything than him and honestly, if one examines the power dynamic, struggles, based on countless interpretations from interviews, documentaries, autobiographies and from band historians, all throughout Zep's existence and prime up until Bonzo's(John Bonham) death, Plant was at most, a junior partner. He wrote the lyrics for most of the songs, but it was mostly based around Page's riffs, melodies, song construction, album themes. P!ant never played a prominent role in helping produce the records from a practical basis, at least in the console in the recording studios.

It wasnt until his solo career began when Plant became truly " The Boss", for obvious reasons, hiring and assembling the right musicians, writing the song lyrics and deriving the musical ideas for his solo records and the kind of music Plant recorded on his own was so radically different from what he sung and played with Zeppelin. Even during his great prime solo era, most of his songs were written from a collaborative standpoint and realistically, a good portion of Plant's solo success has to be credited to Phil Collins of Genesis. It was Phil Collins who helped get Plant out of his deep, emotional grief in early 1981 after Bonham's death, inspired and got him motivated creatively musically to first, tour small clubs with the Honey Drippers in northern England for most of 1981, and worked with him to hire a first-rate blues/jazz backing band to record his first solo album, Pictures at Eleven.

Led
    Led Zeppelin had a amazing rejuvenation of creative lyrical and musical inspiration, supposedly, from this band.

That, and Jimmy Page really was inspired by the basic guitar intro, melody, and some of the lyrics from Jake Holmes "Dazed and Confused". I don't really blame or fault Robert Plant for a good deal of the alleged, notorious double-dealing, somewhat ruthless contract negotiations their manager, Peter Grant, did for them because he was only 19 when he joined Zeppelin and JPJ and Page, musically and creatively, were so much more mature in almost everything than him and honestly, if one examines the power dynamic, struggles, based on countless interpretations from interviews, documentaries, autobiographies and from band historians, all throughout Zep's existence and prime up until Bonzo's(John Bonham) death, Plant was at most, a junior partner. He wrote the lyrics for most of the songs, but it was mostly based around Page's riffs, melodies, song construction, album themes. P!ant never played a prominent role in helping produce the records from a practical basis, at least in the console in the recording studios.

It wasnt until his solo career began when Plant became truly " The Boss", for obvious reasons, hiring and assembling the right musicians, writing the song lyrics and deriving the musical ideas for his solo records and the kind of music Plant recorded on his own was so radically different from what he sung and played with Zeppelin. Even during his great prime solo era, most of his songs were written from a collaborative standpoint and realistically, a good portion of Plant's solo success has to be credited to Phil Collins of Genesis. It was Phil Collins who helped get Plant out of his deep, emotional grief in early 1981 after Bonham's death, inspired and got him motivated creatively musically to first, tour small clubs with the Honey Drippers in northern England for most of 1981, and worked with him to hire a first-rate blues/jazz backing band to record his first solo album, Pictures at Eleven.
    The evolution of Robert Plant is something that interests me. He has remained active as a performer almost continually and still performs to this day. Most recently with a young lady named Allison Kraus (?) IIRC. She comes from a country background, Plant has been exploring American country music for years.

So, even though his influence during Zep days wasn’t as strong as Page’s, I think you could make the case that he has proven himself to be more versatile and dedicated. Of course, Page’s heroin addiction didn’t help him out at all. After the band broke up, Page was in no condition to mount a solo career of any consequence. I’m not sure when he broke out of it, but heroin undoubtedly robbed him of some creative time.

I have recently discovered Jack White. He has a unique style, I know I’m slow on the uptake here, lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom