/* */

Virginia teacher sues school after being fired for not using transgender student's pronouns... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

crosswatt

Reaction score
    A Virginia high school teacher who was fired for refusing to use a transgender student's preferred pronouns has filed a lawsuit against school officials and the board.
    Peter Vlaming, who was a French teacher at West Point High School, said he was fired because he would not use pronouns such as "him" and "his" to refer to a female student who was transitioning to male.

According to the suit filed Monday in King William County, using the male pronouns would have "violated" Vlaming's "conscience" and went against his religious beliefs, so he called the student by his preferred name during class and avoided using pronouns altogether.

Same ol' SystemShock.
    Cute.
    I was very clear that my point is that if any teacher is disrespectful to a student, that is a valid reason to fire the teacher. You do know what "if" means, don't you?
    Could you possibly get to the point, instead of trying to feel superior with all of the condescending jabs?

To answer your question, it is possible to refer to someone by their name in a way that is intentionally disrespectful or belittling.
    Like I don't know that... I'm Mexican.

The teacher referring to the student by their name does not prove one way or another if they were being respectful to the student or not. That's why I think it would be unreasonable of me to jump to any conclusions with what scant details have be reported.

I bet.

So body language and tone of voice should be policed now. Great.

There is no indication that this teacher was disrespectful in any way (unless, of course, if you think that merely referring to someone by their proper name is disrespectful), using body language, tone of voice, whatever, and all indication that because this student wasn't 100% catered to by this teacher, the teacher was fired.

I am just pointing out the silliness of the idea that pronouns must be used.
    and I pointed out the silliness of not using them

as you unintentionally did as well

"I really like Julie. Julie makes very good points, especially when we get a new crazy bible thumper and Julie lays the smack down. I also appreciate Julie's point of view being in Mexico"

If someone spoke like this you'd think there was something wrong with them

That's great and all, but there's nothing harmful in calling someone by their name, or referring to someone by their name when talking about them.

As it pertains to this case, I don't know if the firing was justified based on the little I've read. I find it had to belive that the teacher can avoid pronouns at all times, but using the students name in and of itself isn't problematic.

So if your name is "John" and I wanted to say good morning to you, I should say "Good morning, he"?
    "She, could you please pass the salt"? "

Pronouns exist, but there is no law that says anyone must use pronouns. Yet again, pronouns are merely substitutes for proper names or nouns. I'll ask again, what is wrong with using proper names or nouns?

But the teacher in this case did not do that, right? Actually, in this case, the student changed their name and the teacher used that name.

But the teacher didn't do that, right? He called the student by the student's preferred name.

You believe that someone should be fired from his job for using someone else's proper name instead of a pronoun. Not much of a difference from the other side, frankly. You don't see it, because you think your ideology is righteous, like, well...

The point being made is that if a teacher uses a different pronoun or name for one specific student, while using "he" or "she" for everyone else, it could indeed be offensive as it singles that student out as "different."

As someone with two transgender family members—a cousin who transitioned from male to female, and my husband’s nephew who transitioned from female to male—I understand the challenges transgender individuals face. My cousin, in particular, had a very difficult time, especially due to a lack of support from her father, who could not accept her identity. She knew she was female from around 5 years old, long before anyone could have "influenced" her. Despite her father’s attempts to make her more masculine, her identity was clear to her.

If a student wishes to be addressed in a certain way at school, it is crucial to respect that request. Failing to do so can cause serious harm to a child who is already struggling with identity issues.

To add some detail to this discussion, this is the Virginia Supreme's Court opinion that reinstated the lawsuit from December 2023:

let's say i'm teaching a class of 19 with 'traditionally normal american' like Tom and Beth
    and then i have a new student of color with a name that has plenty of vowels and strings of consonants and diacritical marks - the student tells me their name and it's pronounced in ways that make no sense to how language works as i know it
    so i say, 'i can't say your name, I'm just going to call you 'T'"
    and the student says 'it's very important to me that you call me by my proper name'
    and i'm like "sorry, T'

The principle tells me to address the student by their proper name
    i refuse

now what?
    What would your advice be to a student who was struggling with a particular topic?

A. Study and practice until you get it right

B. You tried, it was too hard, just put what you think the answer should be

It's a shame there can be no middle ground. The consistent "all or none" approach from both sides is exactly why this country - this planet - is so forked. If we want to know the blame, look in the mirror and out the finger.

It's a shame there can be no middle ground. The consistent "all or none" approach from both sides is exactly why this country - this planet - is so forked. If we want to know the blame, look in the mirror and out the finger.

In general I agree but not always

“I just want to live my life in peace and be treated like a human being with all the rights and respect that entails”

“I hear you, but we really need to find a middle ground on that”

Could you possibly get to the point...
    I've already stated my point very clearly twice. You've ignored it both times.

If any teacher is disrespectful to any student, that is a valid reason to fire a teacher. If a teacher is disrespectful in how they refer to or address a student, then that is a valid reason to fire them.

Third time's a charm?

The point being made is that if a teacher uses a different pronoun or name for one specific student, while using "he" or "she" for everyone else, it could indeed be offensive as it singles that student out as "different."

As someone with two transgender family members—a cousin who transitioned from male to female, and my husband’s nephew who transitioned from female to male—I understand the challenges transgender individuals face. My cousin, in particular, had a very difficult time, especially due to a lack of support from her father, who could not accept her identity. She knew she was female from around 5 years old, long before anyone could have "influenced" her. Despite her father’s attempts to make her more masculine, her identity was clear to her.

If a student wishes to be addressed in a certain way at school, it is crucial to respect that request. Failing to do so can cause serious harm to a child who is already struggling with identity issues.
    This is one of those issues that reveals whether a person leans toward an authoritarian approach to life and relationships, or toward an accepting approach to life and relationships.

It's a shame there can be no middle ground.
    You're inaccurately saying no one has stated a "middle ground" opinion in this discussion. Several people have stated nuanced, middle ground opinions.

The consistent "all or none" approach from both sides...
    Which is what you are doing right now. You're inaccurately saying that only two directly opposing and absolute opinions have been stated. Several people have expressed more than two different opinions with varying degrees of nuanced differences.

...is exactly why this country - this planet - is so forked. If we want to know the blame, look in the mirror and out the finger.
    You're blaming people for screwing up the world by blaming people. Not everyone sees someone who blames people when they look in the mirror.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom