Utah Senate staged a walkout in protest of an abortion bill mandating women to be shown the fetus on an ultrasound before allowing the procedure (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

zztop

Reaction score
    Doctors could be subject to fines of $100,000 or more if they perform the procedure without showing an ultrasound.

All six women in the Utah Senate walked out in protest and refused to vote on a bill mandating a woman be shown an ultrasound before receiving an abortion. The bill passed despite their absence.
    Republican Sen. Deidre Henderson said in a statement the walkout late Tuesday was not planned, but rather a spontaneous decision to underscore their concerns about “the invasive nature of the bill.”

The six women lawmakers — two Republicans and four Democrats — would not have changed the outcome. Five Republican men voted against the bill, but it passed 16-7.

Every time I see such laws trying to be passed, I like to refer back to this quote by Sister Joan Chittister:
    "I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom