Trump Tracker Too (2 Trump 2 Tracker) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
    Not open for further replies.

EmBeeFiveOhFour

Reaction score
    The football board had the very useful Daily Trump Tracker thread, which was a good place to briefly discuss the latest ridiculous thing that might have ended 97% of prior Presidential administrations even if it didn't necessarily justify an entire thread devoted to it in 2017-2019 (because of the sheer volume of these things). Since I don't see anything like that here already, I'll add one myself.

I can't remember which thread was talking about Kodak getting chosen to create (ingredients for) a vaccine. Strange choice since the company has been failing for years and, you know, isn't a pharmaceutical company. Maybe this has something to do with it.

I can't remember which thread was talking about Kodak getting chosen to create (ingredients for) a vaccine. Strange choice since the company has been failing for years and, you know, isn't a pharmaceutical company. Maybe this has something to do with it.

had brief discussion on Investment thread.

its abundantly clear who profited.

Kodak was trading around$2.50 for last 3 months with an avg daily volume of about 75,000.

July 27 the volume spiked to 1,600,000 trades.

July 28 the volume spiked yet again to 243,000,000 trades.

On July 28th after the bell, Administration announces they LOANED Kodak $750,000,000.

Now, it doesnt take a statistics professor to see what just happened here.

Come on....give them credit. You don't want to take alien DNA and inject it into your best soldiers until you know what it does. So, you create a few medications and deliver it, and watch for side effects. THEN, you work on the super soldier serum.

This is Murica son!! WE ARE DOERS!!! NOT TRIERS!!!

"With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote??? "

And so it begins. I wonder what kind of uproar there would be from (R) if Obama had suggested such a thing

"With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote??? "

And so it begins. I wonder what kind of uproar there would be from (R) if Obama had suggested such a thing

Ok first, aren’t mail in and absentee voting are the same thing?

Also

Ok first, aren’t mail in and absentee voting are the same thing?

Also

Not necessarily. Traditional absentee voting requires the voter to affirmatively request an absentee ballot. All states have absentee voting provisions, but I think more than half of them do not require a reason (e.g. out of the country) - you can just get the ballot if you make a timely request.

What Trump is referring to is "universal mail-in voting" - which is where the state election entity mails out ballots to registered voters. The voters do not need to request a ballot. Many states are proposing this for November 2020 due to the pandemic.

Two states (Oregon and one other i forget which) already do this and have done it for some time now. There doesn't appear to be any particular problem with fraud. But Trump and Republicans have conjured this process rife with voter fraud where people are stealing ballots from mailboxes and dead people are getting ballots. There doesn't appear to be a basis for these concerns.

However, the longer states wait to decide on their process, and where some wholly new process is adopted in a rushed fashion, certainly risk of shenanigans or just plain administrative failure is increased.

Not necessarily. Traditional absentee voting requires the voter to affirmatively request an absentee ballot. All states have absentee voting provisions, but I think more than half of them do not require a reason (e.g. out of the country) - you can just get the ballot if you make a timely request.

What Trump is referring to is "universal mail-in voting" - which is where the state election entity mails out ballots to registered voters. The voters do not need to request a ballot. Many states are proposing this for November 2020 due to the pandemic.

Two states (Oregon and one other i forget which) already do this and have done it for some time now. There doesn't appear to be any particular problem with fraud. But Trump and Republicans have conjured this process rife with voter fraud where people are stealing ballots from mailboxes and dead people are getting ballots. There doesn't appear to be a basis for these concerns.

However, the longer states wait to decide on their process, and where some wholly new process is adopted in a rushed fashion, certainly risk of shenanigans or just plain administrative failure is increased.
    Colorado has been securely using mail in ballots for years. The concerns expressed about fraud are baseless and quite frankly ridiculous. You can either mail them in (in which they must be post marked by a certain day in advance of the election to be counted), or you can drop them off into secure receptacles at the polling locations (this is what we usually do).

One thing that could affect how long it will take to some states to count the votes, though, is whether they start counting them as ballots come in (as Colorado does) or if they wait until election night to start counting, which could cause a delay in declaring a winner.

Two states (Oregon and one other i forget which) already do this and have done it for some time now.
    I just read a thread on twitter about Oregon's success with all mail in ballots. They've been doing it since 1998 for elections and there have apparently only been 12 cases of fraud in that time.

The posts were made by a lifelong Oregonian and didn't have sources or links but I haven't heard of any massive fraud coming out of Oregon's mail in voting since I've been alive so I don't doubt he's telling the truth.

This caught my eye when I looked into their voting history.

In the 2000 election cycle, Oregon for the first time used VBM in a Presidential Primary election and then a Presidential General election, with a 79 percent turnout.

Could you imagine if we could get 79% national turnout? And they broke their own records with the 2018 midterms.

There's so much I want to say about this, but I actually like it here.
    When he called the reporters to gather, he had nothing on his schedule for another 90 minutes too. And I believe that thing on his schedule is literally the only thing on his schedule today. Lunch. (That was actually Tuesday where his schedule was blank, not today.)

I just read a thread on twitter about Oregon's success with all mail in ballots. They've been doing it since 1998 for elections and there have apparently only been 12 cases of fraud in that time.

The posts were made by a lifelong Oregonian and didn't have sources or links but I haven't heard of any massive fraud coming out of Oregon's mail in voting since I've been alive so I don't doubt he's telling the truth.

This caught my eye when I looked into their voting history.

Could you imagine if we could get 79% national turnout? And they broke their own records with the 2018 midterms.

If they've been doing it since 1988, and it hasn't been repealed due to fraud...I mean that's pretty much your case study.

The turnout number is the real reason Rs don't want vote by mail, but let's be real - the country would be better for having that much of a turnout, regardless of party. If your party isn't winning elections with high turnout, you need to take a look in the mirror.

If they've been doing it since 1988, and it hasn't been repealed due to fraud...I mean that's pretty much your case study.

The turnout number is the real reason Rs don't want vote by mail, but let's be real - the country would be better for having that much of a turnout, regardless of party. If your party isn't winning elections with high turnout, you need to take a look in the mirror.
    I looked into it some more on wikipedia. It's '98, not '88 that it got put into place and hasn't stopped since but your point still stands. They first got vote by mail in 1981 for local elections. It was expanded in '95 to federal primaries and generals but the governor vetoed it.

Here's the blurb about Oregon's vote by mail system from wikipedia:

The VBM system was first approved for testing by the Oregon Legislature for local elections in 1981. The system met with fairly widespread success and was made permanent for the majority of counties for local/special elections in 1987. It was used for the first statewide special election in 1993. The Oregon Legislature approved a proposal to expand VBM to primary and general elections in the spring of 1995, but Governor John Kitzhaber vetoed the bill. However, by January 1996, Oregon became the first state to conduct a general election totally by mail to fill a vacancy in a federal office when it elected Senator Ron Wyden to replace Bob Packwood with a 66 percent turnout.

In June 1998 supporters of expanding VBM to primary and general elections used the initiative to put the issue on the November general election ballot as Measure 60. No paid signature gatherers were used to put the measure on the ballot – a first since 1994, and on November 3, 1998 Oregon voters decide to expand VBM to primary and general elections by a vote of 757,204 to 334,021.

In the 2000 election cycle, Oregon for the first time used VBM in a Presidential Primary election and then a Presidential General election, with a 79 percent turnout.

Couldn't agree more about having 80% turnout nationally being a good thing regardless of your party.

should Obama be more vocal publicly or would he be a distraction for Biden and/or a lightning rod/rallying point for Trump?
    ===========================================

Former President Obama called out President Trump for his "nativist, racist, sexist" rhetoric in private remarks to donors on virtual fundraising calls for presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, The New York Times reports.

According to the Times, Obama has been holding private Zoom calls with big-dollar donors, on which he has hosted conversations with figures like Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker and LinkedIn founder Reid Hoffman.

In his call with Pritzker, Obama reportedly railed against Trump and said his core supporters filter "out any contradictory information."

"It's just glued to Fox News and Breitbart and Limbaugh and just this conservative echo chamber - and so, they're going to turn out to vote," Obama said, according to the Times, which cites sources familiar with the calls and notes from the conversations.

"What he has unleashed and what he continues to try to tap into is the fears and anger and resentment of people who, in some cases, really are having a tough time and have seen their prospects, or communities where they left, declining. And Trump tries to tap into that and redirect in nativist, racist, sexist ways," he continued..............

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom