Trump Pardon Tracker (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    Seems like we might need a thread for this.

Granted: Michael Flynn (pardoned for 'any and all possible offenses' arising from or related to the criminal case against him and anything within the scope of the Mueller investigation).

On CNN this morning they said that Trump is considering over 100 pardons

Any pardons related to the attack on the Capitol needs to be disallowed. I would think Congress or SCOTUS would have to find a way to curb his pardon power for those participating in an insurrection. There really should be more limitations on a President's pardon powers, particularly after election day.

Any pardons related to the attack on the Capitol needs to be disallowed. I would think Congress or SCOTUS would have to find a way to curb his pardon power for those participating in an insurrection. There really should be more limitations on a President's pardon powers, particularly after election day.

Can a pardon be disallowed though?

I agree, that Rules should be put in place regarding pardons but as it stands now can't presidents pardon whoever they want, for whatever reason, no questions asked?

I agree, that Rules should be put in place regarding pardons but as it stands now can't presidents pardon whoever they want, for whatever reason, no questions asked?

Yes, pretty much. The only question is whether he can pardon himself. But everybody else, including family members, is fair game.

Unfortunately, I think the only way changes can be made is through a constitutional amendment. Hope I'm wrong though.

Unfortunately, I think the only way changes can be made is through a constitutional amendment. Hope I'm wrong though.
    The pardon power is plenary by the constitution, so it would probably be unconstitutional to restrict the pardon power, but I still want the legislation. Legislative restrictions can be challenged in court, and there is a good chance that the courts will hold restrictive legislation unconstitutional, but I would still take a shot at restricting it. If the courts agree to restrict it after the election, that would be great for our democracy, but I think the judiciary has to reverse the legislation. Obviously the best approach is a constitutional amendment, and the reversal should be used to argue for the constitutional change. I think many Republicans might support it, since there is a good chance that Democrats may continue to dominate the presidency. Democrats may support it simply because it is good for the country. Independents probably will support it, since they are more centrists, and less concerned about which party holds the presidency.

Last edited:
    So who do you have on your pardon bingo card? What do you think the odds are of the following controversial people:

Ghislaine Maxwell?
    Rudy Giuliani?
    Steve Bannon?
    The Trump children (all of them or what)?
    Trump himself?

Finally, what about the insurrectionists? A blanket pardon?

So who do you have on your pardon bingo card? What do you think the odds are of the following controversial people:

Ghislaine Maxwell?
    Rudy Giuliani?
    Steve Bannon?
    Trump himself?

question on the insurrectionists- obvious that storming the Capitol is/was a federal offense so i guess they would be let off from that perspective. But are there any state level charges that could be brought to circumvent the pardon(s)?

And are pardons reversible by next POTUS? ( dumb question i know but i really dont know )

question on the insurrectionists- obvious that storming the Capitol is/was a federal offense so i guess they would be let off from that perspective. But are there any state level charges that could be brought to circumvent the pardon(s)?

And are pardons reversible by next POTUS? ( dumb question i know but i really dont know )
    If he pardons the insurrectionists I think he makes his impeachment conviction a foregone conclusion.
    Most of the others will likely happen.

Ghislaine Maxwell?
    Rudy Giuliani?
    Steve Bannon?
    Trump himself?

Giuliani and Bannon are my Locks of the Week.

I can't answer your 1st question about state level charges, but I doubt attacks on the Capital can be charged by the District of Columbia, since it isn't their property.

I do know that pardons are irreversible, even by the president who issues them. The pardon power really needs to be amended in the constitution. Frankly it has been abused by both Democrats and Republicans, and I hope all sides recognize the abuse to garner support for amending the pardon power.

I can't answer your 1st question about state level charges, but I doubt attacks on the Capital can be charged by the District of Columbia, since it isn't their property.

I do know that pardons are irreversible, even by the president who issues them. The pardon power really needs to be amended in the constitution. Frankly it has been abused by both Democrats and Republicans, and I hope all sides recognize the abuse to garner support for amending the pardon power.

if that is the case then im fully on board with re-visiting pardon power. Tom Turkey? sure.

Insurrectionists? no can do.

And by state i mean home state- Like fore instance, if you traveled from say Tenn to DC for the purpose of stopping the count, partook in storming the Capitol, would that be a violation like "crossing state lines for sedition " or something akin ?

I guess its up to state statutes?

Second question first - no, pardons are not reversible by the next president. They can only be undone by the courts (ultimately the Supreme Court) if there's a basis in law to do so. (There do not appear to be such bases for the most part).

It is possible that some of the insurrectionists could face local charges in the District. The Capitol and immediate grounds are federal property and the charges so far have been 18 U.S. Code charges (federal criminal code). I know that the District has applicable law on federal property (probably by cross jurisdictional agreement). For example, if a congressional staffer steals another's cell phone, that could be a local charge of theft (the federal criminal code has theft "of public property" but I don't think it has a charge for theft of private property occurring on federal property - though I'm not 100% sure about this).

Ghislaine Maxwell?
    Rudy Giuliani?
    Steve Bannon?
    Trump himself?

Truly believe that if Trump pardons himself, we will never know it until they actually file federal charges against him.

Truly believe that if Trump pardons himself, we will never know it until they actually file federal charges against him.

I don’t think he can do it in secret. It’s a federal record and it isn’t subject to any sort of clearance protocol that I know of.

Ghislaine Maxwell?
    Rudy Giuliani?
    Steve Bannon?
    Trump himself?

Why would he want to pardon the insurrectionists? Since they are Antifa disguised as MAGAs, he should want them tracked down and prosecuted. The pathetic "it wasn't us, it was them" alibi has some fundamental flaws.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom