Trump Pardon Tracker (1 Viewer)

< Previous | Next >

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
Reaction score
Seems like we might need a thread for this.

Granted: Michael Flynn (pardoned for 'any and all possible offenses' arising from or related to the criminal case against him and anything within the scope of the Mueller investigation).

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
Reaction score
I'd assume he's already pardoned himself and his entire family and we just haven't been told yet. But I agree that he's completely burned the Pence bridge now.
Self-pardon remains a suspect concept, legally.

But I don't see any restraint on his pardon power otherwise. His family. Anyone that stormed Capitol Hill, etc. It would be very hard to challenge.

Saintamaniac

Rise Sons of the Gold & Purple
Reaction score
Self-pardon remains a suspect concept, legally.

But I don't see any restraint on his pardon power otherwise. His family. Anyone that stormed Capitol Hill, etc. It would be very hard to challenge.
Can he blanket pardon or would he have to actually know the names of the people to pardon them?

FullMonte

Reaction score
So, I've got another legal question for the experts out there, regarding admissible evidence.

The Supreme Court has ruled that a pardon has an imputation of guilt and acceptance a confession of it. So, if a pardon is issued, it implies guilt, and if it is accepted that is seen as a confession of guilt.

So, if Trump were to self-pardon, he would be implying guilt, and confessing guilt. If that pardon were overturned by the courts, and deemed not valid; and Trump were prosecuted...would his actions of issuing and accepting the pardon be admissible as evidence of guilt and confession of guilt in his ensuing trial?

DaveXA

Reaction score
So, I've got another legal question for the experts out there, regarding admissible evidence.

The Supreme Court has ruled that a pardon has an imputation of guilt and acceptance a confession of it. So, if a pardon is issued, it implies guilt, and if it is accepted that is seen as a confession of guilt.

So, if Trump were to self-pardon, he would be implying guilt, and confessing guilt. If that pardon were overturned by the courts, and deemed not valid; and Trump were prosecuted...would his actions of issuing and accepting the pardon be admissible as evidence of guilt and confession of guilt in his ensuing trial?
I don't know what Trump will do, but, I don't see him issuing himself a pardon. He would never admit guilt on anything. So pardoning himself would be pointless if that's his thinking.

zztop

Reaction score
This is why I can't see him pardoning himself. His ego is just too much to admit he was guilty of anything.

FullMonte

Reaction score
I don't know what Trump will do, but, I don't see him issuing himself a pardon. He would never admit guilt on anything. So pardoning himself would be pointless if that's his thinking.
Oh, I don't think he will either...I was more interested in the legal/procedural side of it.

Maxp

Reaction score
If Trump pardons himself, Biden's justice department will have to charge him with something in order to challenge the pardon.

BayouSAINTJoe

The Anti-Republican
Reaction score
If Trump pardons himself, Biden's justice department will have to charge him with something in order to challenge the pardon.
Or they can charge around the pardon...the good news is that most of trump's competent lawyers are gone so it'll be some bush league nut-job lawyer helping w/ the wording of his pardon...our worst case scenario. Otherwise it could very well be his own wording in his pardon, pardoning him from the "Many, many, tremendously, bad things I've been accused of while being in office - total witch hunt".

Taurus

Reaction score
From what I've seen, if it'll keep him out of jail, Trump will pardon himself in a heartbeat. Then he'll just say it was being smart and he totally didn't do those things.

DJT would lick the floor of a pigsty to stay out of jail. He'd kill your kids, my kids, his own kids. Being imprisoned and destitute are the only things he can't fake his way out of and he'll do anything to avoid them.

Last edited:
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
Reaction score

The view that the Supreme Court's language in the Burdick case means that all pardons, when accepted, constitute a confession of guilt is a misinterpretation. The language was dicta and contextually related to the specific facts in that case. There is no rule of law that accepting a pardon constitutes an admission of guilt.

And the hypo you're suggesting: pardon (i.e. confession) -> invalidation of pardon -> prosecution -> acceptance of pardon is a confession for purposes of conviction would be even more challenged legally. It's not plausible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

< Previous | Next >

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Top Bottom