Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

gop flounder gets his suits from wish.com...

EtWT2x_UUAETDU8.jpg
    Y'all hear his interview the other day when he got like REALLY mad that Nadler shut him down from even hearing his bill that would require them to start every judiciary committee session with the Pledge of Allegiance? I saw it live on Fox. Nadler was all, "We say it at the start of every session to start the day, I don't see the reason for this. Denied!"

Putz was all, "I was just putting forth this effort because in times like these where everybody is at everybody else's throats, I figured we could use the Pledge to unite and come together as Americans." Maybe stop being such a piece of Trump boot licking garbage and saying the Pledge multiple times a day wouldn't be necessary, eh?

They even found audio of democrats in the hallways making fun of him asking each other, "So, how many times a day do you think we should say the Pledge? 4? 5?" Someone replied, "I think we should do it at the top of every hour."

I was laughing pretty hard. I wouldn't be surprised if Gaetz himself was hiding behind a corner or a column with his iPhone out recording it himself either.

Y'all hear his interview the other day when he got like REALLY mad that Nadler shut him down from even hearing his bill that would require them to start every judiciary committee session with the Pledge of Allegiance? I saw it live on Fox. Nadler was all, "We say it at the start of every session to start the day, I don't see the reason for this. Denied!"

Putz was all, "I was just putting forth this effort because in times like these where everybody is at everybody else's throats, I figured we could use the Pledge to unite and come together as Americans." Maybe stop being such a piece of Trump boot licking garbage and saying the Pledge multiple times a day wouldn't be necessary, eh?

They even found audio of democrats in the hallways making fun of him asking each other, "So, how many times a day do you think we should say the Pledge? 4? 5?" Someone replied, "I think we should do it at the top of every hour."

I was laughing pretty hard. I wouldn't be surprised if Gaetz himself was hiding behind a corner or a column with his iPhone out recording it himself either.
    I'll never understand the right's obsession with symbolism.

Last edited:
    CNN is reporting that investigators no longer believe he was hit in the head by a fire extinguisher. We don’t know how he died, and this seems really weird. I am sure, though, that he wasn’t murdered to make Trump look bad. Good lord.

The moment I saw that he was cremated was the moment I knew the crazies would come up with crazy theories.

FWIW, I also thought it was really weird that a Federal Officer that was killed in the line of duty was cremated. :idunno:

Not weird. That's not up to the federal government. That's up to him and his family.

Not weird. That's not up to the federal government. That's up to him and his family.
    I get that, but isn't it also up to the investigators as well? I mean, there's a lot of ambiguous information regarding this guy's death and all we have been told, repeatedly, is that he was killed during the insurrection and now that may not be entirely accurate.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, as I was watching his ceremony, I just thought is was weird that he'd been cremated with no one charged for his apparent murder and his "cause of death" an open question. If the family and investigators knows the answer to the cause of death then, cool, otherwise...

:idunno:

I get that, but isn't it also up to the investigators as well? I mean, there's a lot of ambiguous information regarding this guy's death and all we have been told, repeatedly, is that he was killed during the insurrection and now that may not be entirely accurate.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, as I was watching his ceremony, I just thought is was weird that he'd been cremated with no one charged for his apparent murder and his "cause of death" an open question. If the family and investigators knows the answer to the cause of death then, cool, otherwise...

:idunno:

That all makes sense, but I'm sure there's a full, detailed report on cause of death and what not, so that's all most likely on the record. I don't think that will be made public at least until the investigation is complete. It's possible that might take months. There were a lot of moving parts here, and figuring out who did what to the officer may not be easy to determine. However he died really doesn't change the calculus for me. Trump still incited an insurrection and he should be impeached and convicted for it.

I don't want to trivialize his death, but the rumors about the manner of death are little more than a distraction from the trial.

"The risk associated with the insurrectionists getting their hands on Pence's football wasn't that they could have initiated an unauthorized launch. But had they stolen the football and acquired its contents, which include pre-planned nuclear strike options, they could have shared the contents with the world," Kingston Reif, an expert on nuclear weapons policy at the nonpartisan Arms Control Association, told CNN.
    "Such an outcome would have been a security breach of almost incomprehensible proportions," Reif added. "And it ought to raise further questions about the rationale for the anachronism that is the football."

I live close to the city so decided to drive around a little tonight. Still like a freaking war zone. Can't get anywhere near the Capitol. My blood boils when I see it and think about that banana republic shirt that happened that day.

Attachments

• 20210212_003010.jpg
      20210212_003010.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 110
    • 20210212_003242.jpg
      20210212_003242.jpg
      496.1 KB · Views: 101
    ...However he died really doesn't change the calculus for me. Trump still incited an insurrection and he should be impeached and convicted for it.

I don't want to trivialize his death, but the rumors about the manner of death are little more than a distraction from the trial.
    Indeed.

That being said, I just would like to see the Impeachment Managers stop using his name, in particular, during this trial because the circumstances regarding his death are not fully explainable. There are many, many other heinous acts that they can refer to during their presentations. That goes for the media as well because until I read that link that SC posted, I still believed he was KIA because that's how the media portrayed it during his memorial ceremony at the Capitol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom