Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Just for the record

ABD4AB56-4373-4F98-8416-433A452C5FB1.png
    is that the capitol or the Lincoln memorial? Not that it really matters, just curious.

I have a question for the legal experts here.

If myself and a couple of friends rob a bank, and one of them murders a guard, the we are all on the hook for that murder, as I understand it.

Would that also apply to the people who stormed the capitol? Would they be potentially on the hook for the death of a police officer if it was determined to be a murder?

If that were actually the case, why didn't he just get the police to
    I have a question for the legal experts here.

If myself and a couple of friends rob a bank, and one of them murders a guard, the we are all on the hook for that murder, as I understand it.

Would that also apply to the people who stormed the capitol? Would they be potentially on the hook for the death of a police officer if it was determined to be a murder?

If they can tag Trump with the deaths of the officer and 4 others who died in the riot, I'd be fine with that.

If that were actually the case, why didn't he just get the police to

If they can tag Trump with the deaths of the officer and 4 others who died in the riot, I'd be fine with that.

The cops there were set up to fail. I think that's pretty obvious.
    Not having any at all would be too suspicious.
    Consider the reports of how happy Trump was to see the mayhem.
    Consider the deliberate delays in sending the Guard.
    Consider the photos of Mr Zipties.
    All Trump's enemies in one place with its defenses crippled.
    Televised executions.
    Only Trump loyalists left in government at a time when the election hasn't technically been decided.

"Chaos is a ladder."
    A ladder Trump could use to remain in power "Until we can guarantee free and fair elections."
    Which would be never.

And now we learn that Queen Cersei won't attend the inauguration.

A Republican Party purged of MAGA is free to moderate on gun control, immigration, abortion and becomes the majority party in the US within a few election cycles.

They will moderate on those things so they don’t have to on things like tax cuts and wars.

The military didn't follow an illegal order as far as I can tell.
    We don't know if anyone in the military gave or followed an illegal order. We have no idea what discussions took place between Trump and members of the military.

Just look at the history of Vietnam, not only has the military historically followed illegal orders, they've actually given them. Vietnam is not the only historical example.

There is a lot of romanticizing of the military, just like there is a lot of romanticizing about war and military conflict. That's to be expected in a society and economy that is influenced and controlled by a military-industrial-congressional complex.

Last edited:
    Splitting hairs here, but the lady who was shot and later died wasn't on the Senate floor.

But, there's a big difference between what happened yesterday and a military coup. And fwiw, I don't think the President has actually enlisted any military personnel to do his bidding. You're just speculating and making assumptions for which you have no evidence of.
    And you're speculating that you know Trump didn't give any orders to anyone in the military. The national guard is part of the military. Do you know why there was such a long delay in authorizing the deployment of national guard troops? No, you don't. Everyone is making assumptions and speculating on those assumptions.

It doesn't take an entire battalion to stage a military coup and rarely in history has an entire battalion been involved in a military coup.

What giant steps are you talking about? Now you're getting too far into hyperbole and exaggerating the threat. Just because these nuts breached the Capitol doesn't mean it's more likely there would be a military coup. If anything, it makes it more unlikely because people will be paying more attention as the transfer of power gets closer.
    I'm pretty sure that 4 years ago you would have said that raising concerns about civilians breaching the capitol was being hyperbolic. Yet, here we are.

I'm pretty sure that 4 years ago you would have said that raising concerns about civilians breaching the capitol was being hyperbolic. Yet, here we are.

I remember when I first saw this thread back when superchuck started it. I thought it was going to end up being a yawner with nothing more than a few replies. Did not expect it to eventually be 75 pages and counting, that’s for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom