Trump Election Interference / Falsification of Business Records Criminal Trial (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
I couldn’t find a thread just about this case, and thought we should have one since it’s Trump’s first criminal trial. He has to attend every day, as I understand it. Here is a quick reminder of what it’s about. His former lawyer Michael Cohen already went to prison for his involvement in this case.

Yeah, they just introduced motions for sanctions asking for $1000 fines for each of three social media posts, also asking the judge to remind Trump that further violations could result in jail time. I would expect they'd have to have repeat violations and a series of escalating fines before they would jail him for contempt.

Yeah, that's a likely progression. I would expect him to make some sort of minor sanction and demand the defendant respect the order or face contempt, including jail. The $1,000 seems a good place to start.

Yeah, that's a likely progression. I would expect him to make some sort of minor sanction and demand the defendant respect the order or face contempt, including jail. The $1,000 seems a good place to start.

General question chuck that i dont know if ever asked of you but how would you wrangle a client that simply coulndt keep his mouth shut? Do you/firms have procedures/protocol in place to dissuade them from repeated offenses?

I mean i know none of these attorneys will do much of anything since they think this is their golden goose, but at some level i have to believe that they view their profession in a serious light and that his constant transgressions are making a mockery of the system they spent years in school/practice to make a career. Right?!

They did it to Bobby Seale

1713200047622.png

General question chuck that i dont know if ever asked of you but how would you wrangle a client that simply coulndt keep his mouth shut? Do you/firms have procedures/protocol in place to dissuade them from repeated offenses?

I mean i know none of these attorneys will do much of anything since they think this is their golden goose, but at some level i have to believe that they view their profession in a serious light and that his constant transgressions are making a mockery of the system they spent years in school/practice to make a career. Right?!

I've never dealt with it. I think the vast, vast majority of Americans are respectful of the system and of the judge's authority over the courtroom to not be a concern at all - they may be very unhappy about it, but they at least respect that there's a process and it's not in their interest to challenge it. So I have never dealt with anything like that at all.

What's far more common is you're concerned that a client or a witness is very chatty or easily roused by opposing counsel - and you want to work on managing those concerns. But even a combative witness shuts the eff up when you get in the courtroom and there's a judge in robes with a gavel in her/his hand.

I have never done any criminal law though, so I'm sure it's a bit more intense for people to deal with. But still I think a defendant prone to outbursts is still uncommon except in situations where someone is mental or borderline mental and just can't help themselves.

cant bring the cocaine into the courtroom.
Adderal is his drug of choice these days from what I read. Noel Casler has detailed his adderal use on line and in interviews repeatedly for years beginning when he was president. Trump has never once attacked Noel about it. He also details his incontinence, and says he had to have surgery to repair his nose years and years ago due to damage from the cocaine use when he was younger.

And MAGA idiots are out there jury tampering.

I have never done any criminal law though, so I'm sure it's a bit more intense for people to deal with. But still I think a defendant prone to outbursts is still uncommon except in situations where someone is mental or borderline mental and just can't help themselves.
Do judges give extra leeway to mental people? I think Trump is mental, so it may be appropriate to grant him leeway on that basis.

Do judges give extra leeway to mental people? I think Trump is mental, so it may be appropriate to grant him leeway on that basis.

I wouldn't call it leeway, the judge has to keep control of the courtroom. But not from personal experience but I have seen video of judges basically tolerating such a defendant's outbursts when it's clear that person is about to be convicted and it doesn't serve much purpose to also find them in contempt.

Trump is a "sophisticated party" and should be expected to act appropriately. I don't think the judge is going to be particularly tolerance of any repeated interruptive behavior from Trump in the courtroom.

An interesting little episode - apparently in one of the pre-jury activities earlier, the judge gave Trump 24 hours to produce an additional batch of documents that the defense has owed the prosecutors under the reciprocal discovery rule. Trump's lawyers asked for more time and the judge denied the request, noting that Trump's team filed numerous motions last week (when they could have been producing the documents).

Trump got visually agitated with his lawyer Todd Blanche.

Outside the Manhattan Criminal Court on Monday, a “Christian conservative rapper” who identified himself as “Shawn DVS 7.0” awaited the arrival of Donald Trump.

“Sometimes I have my disagreements with Trump, but nobody compares,” he said, resting a full-size American flag pole on his shoulder. Democrats, he added, “couldn’t get him with collusion, they couldn’t get him with all the other stuff before, so now they’re going with all these side angles.”

He was one of about 50 Trump-stanning protesters who gathered for the start of jury selection in the first of Trump’s four criminal trials. Penned up outside 100 Centre St., they carried signs reading “Trump 2024, Save America,” and “The Purge Begins, Tuesday November 5.”

They were easily outnumbered by the phalanx of reporters and police—which left at least one of them disappointed.

“I thought more people would be here,” said the woman, who gave only her first name, Sophia. She had taken the subway an hour and half from Queens to lower Manhattan to sort-of attend the first-ever criminal trial of a former president.

“When they do finally take our freedom of speech away and screw us over, nobody better say anything about it,” she added. “Shut up, you didn't fight for your rights.”

The courthouse sideshow included some familiar Trumpworld figures, including far-right conspiracy theorist Laura Loomer and Andrew Giuliani, the son of former Trump attorney and New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Asked about the weak turnout on the street, the younger Giuliani replied: “I’m more worried about what’s going on in that courtroom than out here.”............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom