The Voting Thread (Procedures, Turnout, Legal Challenges)(Update: Trump to file suit in PA, MI, WI, AZ, NV, GA) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lapaz

Reaction score
    There is a lot of push-back from Trump on voting by mail, but most states allow it, and 1/3 allow it without any excuse. His rationale is that it will lead to vast fraud, but of course that isn't his real reason. His real reason is that he thinks it will be worse for conservatives, but studies have shown that states that have instituted much broader voting by mail haven't had any statistical changes in party voting.

Although, normally voting by mail doesn't affect party votes, I bet it might this year if we have another resurgence of Covid, because I think the right is much more apt to discount the virus than the left. I know that is why Trump is against it.

Whether you're left or right wing, expanding mail in votes is the right thing to do to reduce the likelihood of spreading the virus, to expand voter participation, and to make it easier for those that do show up to stay distant. It will also allow any people with susceptibilities to remain safer. I think voting by mail could be made extremely secure by having people vote using traditional postal mail, coupled with requiring a confirmation either by phone, email or text. If done by phone, then voters can provide confirmation that can include confirming their form number. If done by email or text, it can include a picture of their form, and then confirmation that that was their form. Rather than staffers individually calling people, this can be automated by having voters call the number, text the number, or email the address provided to them on their form. A website can even be created with a database of those that have voted, and perhaps a link to allow people to confirm their vote was correctly registered. For people without computers, a site can include a means to access the database over the phone with some confirmation information. These types of systems are used extensively by banks and other sites that need security, so I think they are mature enough to use. We could even use such a site for people to confirm their vote on the day of the election.

They are rumored to be going through their report and taking out all the stuff that might be actionable. Especially since some lawyers are being sanctioned and may face disbarment for lying about election fraud, and several folks are being sued for their statements about Dominion, etc.

didn't know whether to put this here or in the loyalists thread

So, knew it wasn't true, said it anyway
    =============================
    A group of pro-Trump lawyers held a press briefing two weeks after the 2020 election at the offices of the Republican Party in Washington, DC, during which they deployed an intricate conspiracy theory claiming that a manufacturer of voting machines had conspired with an election software company, financier George Soros, and Venezuela to steal the election from then-President Donald Trump.

But court documents released on Monday reveal that the Trump campaign had acknowledged in an internal memo that many of the bizarre theories about Dominion Voting Systems and software company Smartmatic were not based in fact, The New York Times reported.

The legal filings were part of a motion last week in the defamation lawsuit brought by former Dominion employee Eric Coomer against the Trump campaign. The court documents include evidence that Trump campaign officials knew that the claims put out by lawyers allied with the Trump team were untrue.

The filing also indicates that the Trump campaign chose to not reveal its findings concerning the Dominion claims even as Sydney Powell and other attorneys on Mr Trump’s side blanketed conservative media outlets with false statements. They filed four lawsuits in federal court against Dominion, accusing the company of having rigged the election to thwart Mr. Trump...........

I would like to think this matters, but it won’t.

Those of us that knew it was BS are not surprised.

People still believing in the election fraud nonsense are not going to care about this. They couldn’t be convinced by trump himself at this point. They would just say he was cloned or a lizard person is controlling his mind or something.

You mean like when he tried to tell people to get vaccinated and he was booed? The monster is self sustaining at this point. I think it’s all in the hands of Covid to solve it now
    I think we're at a daily rate of 1922 likely MAGA voters dying per day right now. You'd think they wouldn't spread propaganda that's killing off their voting base en masse like it is, but nobody ever accused them of being smart, just ruthless, greedy, and willfully ignorant.

I think we're at a daily rate of 1922 likely MAGA voters dying per day right now. You'd think they wouldn't spread propaganda that's killing off their voting base en masse like it is, but nobody ever accused them of being smart, just ruthless, greedy, and willfully ignorant.

Well, I mean, it's only a problem if elections are decided by actual votes as opposed to state legislatures run by batshirt crazy MAGAts.
    If you can just blow off election results, heck kill 'em all right?

Here’s a good thread on voter ID and exactly how it can be discriminatory. I ran into this somewhat when I just had to renew my driver‘s license to the “true ID” or whatever it’s called. Because I had been married, I had to get a certified copy of my marriage license from the place where we got the license. Sometimes this takes time, and it always costs money. This impacts poor women more than other people.

4E5213E0-FE64-42A5-8C01-0551AA63AD64.jpeg

1CCC7C20-9392-4201-B693-E487C6311BA5.jpeg

Which is absolutely insane because all you need is your stinking birth certificate and photo id to get a passport. Paperwork wise way easier for the passport than a California real ID. For that even with my passport I need two documents showing my correct residence. Which of course have to be the current months bills. Stupid

What if your rent and utilities are included and you get no bills through the mail? What if you don’t have good internet access to go on line and order documents from other cities? What if you don’t have a way to get to the courthouse, nor the free time during the limited hours the courthouse is open?

All of this makes it harder for poor people and especially poor women to get the proper ID for voting. And there is no fraud problem that would justify essentially making people jump through hoops like this. None. They do it because they know it will stop a lot of people, especially poor people, especially poor women from voting.

It’s extremely discriminatory. And that’s the point.

Heck everything I have is paid through my bank. I get no bills. I’ll have to download and print off something if I do that

A lot of poor people don’t have the option of printing at work, though, they would get in trouble for it or they just don’t have access to do it. These obstacles that seem fine to the middle class are just onerous on the poor, effectively denying them the right to vote.

Isn't Louisiana one of the only states to not even have the "Real ID"? I know that we were one of two back when the law was first passed a few years ago, but I think we still don't have whatever is so special about it and only have regular old driver's licenses.

I did hear some talk about it on the radio not too long ago, but I wasn't in the car long enough to actually hear the segment or what the conclusion was.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom