The Impeachment Process Has Officially Begun (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrus

Admin
    Staff member
    Reaction score
    By Laura Bassett

After months of internal arguing among Democrats over whether to impeach President Donald Trump, the dam is finally breaking in favor of trying to remove him from office. The Washington Post reported that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi would announce a formal impeachment inquiry on Tuesday, following a bombshell report that Trump illegally asked Ukraine’s government to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden, one of his political opponents. (He essentially admitted to having done so over the weekend.)

“Now that we have the facts, we’re ready,” Pelosi said Tuesday morning at a forum hosted by The Atlantic. At 5 p.m. the same day, she was back with more. "The actions taken to date by the president have seriously violated the constitution, especially when the president says Article Two says I can do whatever I want," referring to the segment of the Constitution that defines the power of the executive branch of the government. Pelosi's message was that checks and balances of those branches are just as central to the Constitution. And one more thing: "Today, I am announcing the House of Representatives is moving forward with an official impeachment inquiry," she said at a conference broadcast on Twitter by the Huffington Post. ...

Read the Full Story - InStyle

I wonder if he got upset when 5 Democrats used the word lynching in reference to Clinton's impeachment?
    Seeing as he was only 16 when Clinton was impeached, I don't think he really gave a damn. And even if he did, is this some kinda bullshirt "well they did it first" defense? DJT in no way, shape or form was, is or will be lynched. It was poor choice of words. It was a poor comparison. Repeating a wrong doesn't make it right. It was a stupid choice of words. Learn from it and move on.

I knew the Democrats had one more Hail Mary in them after their Bolton Hail Mary.

It doesn’t matter.

At this point the Republicans aren’t concerned about guilt or innocence. They’re fine with the argument that he can do whatever he wants.

We’ll find out what Lev is offering tonight on Maddow I’m sure.

No. You are definitely wrong on this. You're welcome.
    I don't know, I could be, but I don't think so.
    About half the sites specifically point to violence, not just murder, by a group with no due process. The other half don't mention violence just a verdict rendered without due process. The word itself came from the American Revolution and the punishment of loyalists.
    This might be a good thread for another time so as not to veer impeachment into a conversation on the evolution of words and meanings.

I don't know, I could be, but I don't think so.
    About half the sites specifically point to violence, not just murder, by a group with no due process. The other half don't mention violence just a verdict rendered without due process. The word itself came from the American Revolution and the punishment of loyalists.
    This might be a good thread for another time so as not to veer impeachment into a conversation on the evolution of words and meanings.
    Normally I would let this go but not this and not now. To be clear, Lynching is murder. I'm not talking metaphorically. The act of lynching is murder. Full stop. When someone is said to have been railroaded, it is meant to signify that the person was not given due process and there was a rush to judgement. If you want to claim that trump has been railroaded then be my guest although I would disagree with that description as well. Unless you can show me pictures of Clinton or Trump hanging from a tree by their neck then neither of them were lynched. I hope this clears it up for you so you no longer have to wonder if you could be wrong. You ARE wrong. I've shown you the correct answer.

Like many Black Americans in the south, I have at least one relative in my family tree who was lynched.

ETA....I don't want to give the illusion that I'm emotionally attached to this as this was something that occurred before even my great grand parents were born. It's something I learned after a family member decided to go the ancestry dot com route and brought it to our attention. However, I did want to point out the distinction between being lynched and being railroaded.

Last edited:
    I don't understand what the Democrats are doing at this point.

Several of the more moderate Republican Senators have come out, stated that the House Managers have proven their case but they don't feel it rises to the level of impeachment (or it does but with an election so close it's better left to the electorate). It's over and the results are about the best the Democrats could have hoped for. Absent gross malfeasance and/or crimes they were never going to remove the President. More witnesses aren't necessary if you have some Republicans already willing to admit to the offense. At some point you have to pivot to the ballot box and try to convince voters why this was an abuse of power.

Seeing as he was only 16 when Clinton was impeached, I don't think he really gave a damn. And even if he did, is this some kinda bullshirt "well they did it first" defense? DJT in no way, shape or form was, is or will be lynched. It was poor choice of words. It was a poor comparison. Repeating a wrong doesn't make it right. It was a stupid choice of words. Learn from it and move on.

look, I meant no I’ll will when using a commonly used cliche. I’m not changing the way I speak because someone may get offended. I don’t keep a list of words not to use as to not offend any of the worlds population.

so move learn and move on is correct. Why make an issue out of something that wasn’t an issue (very symbolic of the impeachment)
    Actually never bringing up this whole charade might have been the better option instead of trying to spark a faux outrage.

so it’s safe to say he doesn’t remember 1981?

look, I meant no I’ll will when using a commonly used cliche. I’m not changing the way I speak because someone may get offended. I don’t keep a list of words not to use as to not offend any of the worlds population.

so move learn and move on is correct. Why make an issue out of something that wasn’t an issue (very symbolic of the impeachment)
    Actually never bringing up this whole charade might have been the better option instead of trying to spark a faux outrage.
    Here's the thing Lazybones. There is nothing sincere about your approach. I don't think you meant any ill-will and a simple "my bad" would have ended the discussion but it has become pretty common to simply double-dpwn when challenged. I don't need a list of words not to use as to not offend anyone. I only have need to remember one word, "Decency" Decency keeps you from saying offensive crap rather it's a cliché or other term. It's something my parents instilled in me from a young age. There was no "faux outrage" as you put it. There was only an illustration of the incorrectness of the usage of the term "lynching" compared to "railroading". Why get so defensive at someone correcting an obvious misuse of a term?

Here's the thing Lazybones. There is nothing sincere about your approach. I don't think you meant any ill-will and a simple "my bad" would have ended the discussion but it has become pretty common to simply double-dpwn when challenged. I don't need a list of words not to use as to not offend anyone. I only have need to remember one word, "Decency" Decency keeps you from saying offensive crap rather it's a cliché or other term. It's something my parents instilled in me from a young age. There was no "faux outrage" as you put it. There was only an illustration of the incorrectness of the usage of the term "lynching" compared to "railroading". Why get so defensive at someone correcting an obvious misuse of a term?

In all fairness, a "sense of decency" is not necessarily enough to avoid giving offense. Do you think Mayor Pete's sin of using the term "heartland" was due to a lack of decency? Should we all now capitulate and never use the term again because some people were offended or acted as though they were?

Rubio’s statement sums up Republicans. Not the Senators, not the party, but every person who admits what Trump did was wrong, but that he still shouldn’t be removed from office. It’s a kind of mental gymnastics that would earn a gold metal at the Special Olympics

For those that say what Trump did wasn’t wrong, then ask yourself if you would tolerate that behavior from a local councilman or mayor.

The rooting out corruption arguments are bull and any intellectually honest person following this would admit that.

Rubio’s statement sums up Republicans. Not the Senators, not the party, but every person who admits what Trump did was wrong, but that he still shouldn’t be removed from office. It’s a kind of mental gymnastics that would earn a gold metal at the Special Olympics

For those that say what Trump did wasn’t wrong, then ask yourself if you would tolerate that behavior from a local councilman or mayor.

The rooting out corruption arguments are bull and any intellectually honest person following this would admit that.

It was well written, I appreciate that he took the time to explain his reasoning. I think all House Democrats should read this and reflect upon not only his words, but their own actions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom