The 2022 Governor Races Thread (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    The 2022 election will see 36 governor seats filled. The guuanatoiral elections are competitive in 12 of them - that include key swing states, with Pennsylvania, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Arizona. Other key states (though with seemingness less competitive races) include Texas, Ohio, and Minnesota.

In one key state, Pennsylvania, the GOP nominee has pledge to overhaul the state's system for presidential elections - giving the governor (himself) effective discretion to decide the state's electors no matter how the state's voters vote.

But what makes Mastriano more than an especially exotic political exhibit is his vow to appoint a secretary of state “who’s delegated from me the power to make the corrections to elections, the voting logs and everything. And I can decertify every [voting] machine in the state.” In the 2016 and 2020 presidential elections, Pennsylvania was decided by 0.7 and 1.2 percentage points, respectively. In 2024, the state probably will again be closely contested, and its electoral votes could determine the national winner. So, imagine Mastriano, who has neither evidence nor doubts that Trump won the 2020 election, decreeing “corrections” to the election. His motives are frightening because they are pure: He has the scary sincerity of the unhinged whose delusions armor them against evidence.

Of course, whether he could legally do this simply by appointing a favorable Secretary of State is highly dubious - but were he to have a majority in the state house, that's an entirely different matter.

These kinds of "denier", anti-democracy candidates appear in many of the gubernatorial elections. They are very important.

As much as I would like it to be, I don't see Florida as being competitive. DeSantis will cruise to reelection and has an inside track on the Presidency. The demographics are skewed with aging angry conservatives. Will take a couple of decades of death by natural causes to winnow those people out of the voting pool.

As much as I would like it to be, I don't see Florida as being competitive. DeSantis will cruise to reelection and has an inside track on the Presidency. The demographics are skewed with aging angry conservatives. Will take a couple of decades of death by natural causes to winnow those people out of the voting pool.

I tend to agree . . . but he won 2018 by 32,00 votes. He's the incumbent now and his machine is in power positions now, so he's better off. But still curious to see how that goes down, and if he takes any hits for these trafficking stunts.

Something @efil4 said in EE about the FL insurance market got on my radar and then I saw this discussion about Florida's collapsing insurance market - that Ian may completely obliterate. There have been interests in the state begging DeSantis to address it (of course he's been too busy banning books and using Florida funds to trick migrants in Texas to board planes to Martha's Vineyard).

Hoping this extremist in PA never sees the Governor’s mansion:

“In the same spot where he spoke to thousands of people at a raucous State Capitol rally demanding an end to pandemic restrictions in April 2020, Doug Mastriano appeared on Saturday before a crowd of just a few dozen — about half of whom were volunteers for his ragtag campaign for governor of Pennsylvania.

Mr. Mastriano, an insurgent state senator who in the spring cruised to the Republican nomination, is learning this fall that while it is one thing to win a crowded G.O.P. primary on the back of online fame and Donald J. Trump’s endorsement, it is quite another to prevail in a general election in a battleground state of nearly 13 million people.

He is being heavily outspent by his Democratic rival, has had no television ads on the air since May, has chosen not to interact with the state’s news media in ways that would push his agenda, and trails by double digits in reputable public polling and most private surveys.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/26/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

In Colorado, Jared Polis (D) is looking like he'll cruise to reelection. I was honestly a little surprised he won last time -- we were coming off of three consecutive Democratic terms (Bill Ritter stepped down after one term, followed by two terms with John Hickenlooper), and Colorado had been a swing state, so it seemed ripe to swing back. Plus I figured it was one thing for a gay man to be elected to Congress from the district representing Boulder, but winning a statewide race would be a challenge.

But he actually won pretty easily (his opponent helped by saying we needed to spend less on schools and more on prisons) and he's been a very good governor. He hits the sweet spot of having a business background that encourages responsible fiscal policies to go along with liberal social policies. I wouldn't be surprised to see him entering national politics after his second term is up.

1664310136367.png

Something @efil4 said in EE about the FL insurance market got on my radar and then I saw this discussion about Florida's collapsing insurance market - that Ian may completely obliterate. There have been interests in the state begging DeSantis to address it (of course he's been too busy banning books and using Florida funds to trick migrants in Texas to board planes to Martha's Vineyard).

The problem with Florida and other low lying areas like southern Louisiana, is that the storms are getting worse, so the damage is getting worse. At some point, much of the coast will either need levies like New Orleans, or it will be under water. Levies are not what people paid for when they bought beach front property. The value will drop dramatically as it becomes apparent to even the deniers of climate change that the water will overtake much of the land. Everyone on the coast should be required to raise or move their homes or face very high insurance rates. The solution at this point is very expensive, and insurance companies know the risks are increasing every year. Socializing insurance to subsidize the coastal residence that moved there after we knew about rising water levels isn’t fair. I wouldn’t mind subsidizing people who moved to the coast before the evidence was clear, but knowingly putting yourself at risk doesn’t deserve subsidies. Litigation reform won’t fix it either. That only exists because insurance companies don’t want to have to pay so much. If you limit what they payout, then the property values will drop even more, since people won’t be able to rebuild the same home. I don’t think DeSantis can fix this the way it needs to be fixed, because it will cost too much, and of course anger many.

In Colorado, Jared Polis (D) is looking like he'll cruise to reelection. I was honestly a little surprised he won last time -- we were coming off of three consecutive Democratic terms (Bill Ritter stepped down after one term, followed by two terms with John Hickenlooper), and Colorado had been a swing state, so it seemed ripe to swing back. Plus I figured it was one thing for a gay man to be elected to Congress from the district representing Boulder, but winning a statewide race would be a challenge.

But he actually won pretty easily (his opponent helped by saying we needed to spend less on schools and more on prisons) and he's been a very good governor. He hits the sweet spot of having a business background that encourages responsible fiscal policies to go along with liberal social policies. I wouldn't be surprised to see him entering national politics after his second term is up.

1664310136367.png
    People's Republic of Boulder doing work! Seriously, though... Colorado has been fairly solidly blue since Obama. You would know more than me living there, but I recall that most Republicans who had success in statewide office were fairly moderate, a la Ben Nighthorse Campbell who actually switched from Democrat to Republican when he was in the Senate (although sadly it seems he has fully embraced Trump). And the crazier the GOP gets with its social rhetoric, the more nominal Republicans in Colorado vote Democrat.

I watched the Arizona governor's democratic candidate Katie Hobbs give an interview this weekend, and she was pathetic. She refuses to debate Kari Lake, and that's going to bury her chances. Kari Lake is an election denier, and she will not send the correct electors. She will steal Arizona's presidential votes, yet she will probably win, because Katie Hobbs is being a coward, and has no stage presence, while Lake has great stage presence. She really is Trump in a dress. I think Hobbs thinks Lake's presence will result in her winning the debate, but Hobbs just has to expose her extremist views.

I think not debating will lose Hobbs many voters, but she is creating other problems for herself, such as refusing to accept any restrictions on abortions. There are extremely few people that agree with that position. I'm pro choice, but I believe there should be restrictions in the 3rd trimester, like probably over 90% of Americans. For goodness sake, why take such an extreme position? Just acknowledge that abortions should only be performed in the 3rd trimester due to serious risk to the mother's health or a fetus that will die shortly after birth. That won't lose her any votes, but her current stance will lose her plenty of middle of the road votes.

I watched the Arizona governor's democratic candidate Katie Hobbs give an interview this weekend, and she was pathetic. She refuses to debate Kari Lake, and that's going to bury her chances. Kari Lake is an election denier, and she will not send the correct electors. She will steal Arizona's presidential votes, yet she will probably win, because Katie Hobbs is being a coward, and has no stage presence, while Lake has great stage presence. She really is Trump in a dress. I think Hobbs thinks Lake's presence will result in her winning the debate, but Hobbs just has to expose her extremist views.

I think not debating will lose Hobbs many voters, but she is creating other problems for herself, such as refusing to accept any restrictions on abortions. There are extremely few people that agree with that position. I'm pro choice, but I believe there should be restrictions in the 3rd trimester, like probably over 90% of Americans. For goodness sake, why take such an extreme position? Just acknowledge that abortions should only be performed in the 3rd trimester due to serious risk to the mother's health or a fetus that will die shortly after birth. That won't lose her any votes, but her current stance will lose her plenty of middle of the road votes.
    Agreed. The only Democrat who think this is a good idea is Katie Hobbs and it's going to cost her. The interview on CNN was pathetic. It's like she went on there after Kari Lake did her interview, which was also dumb, and she said "hold my beer."

Yeah that’s a shame she can’t handle it. If you can’t debate your opponent, you really have no business in major/general public elected office. I get that these charlatan/showman(woman) candidates are a challenge in debate because of their populist tactics but they’re not hard to expose - we’ve seen it over and over. Just follow the playbook, but you have to be quick-witted. I suppose that some quality leaders haven’t been quick-witted but that’s what it takes these days.

Huge mistake that hopefully doesn't cost her the election and put that ignorant maniac Lake in the governor's mansion.

I don’t know what happened to Hobbs. She was pretty visible and aggressive earlier this year. I am surprised she has done this disappearing act. Almost makes me wonder if she is being threatened or targeted in some way.

I can't say I'm surprised that the election denier Abrams did this

Funny that you call Abram an election denier, as if anything she's ever done is on the level of anything that MAGAs have done. Abram had a legitimate complaint, since the head of elections in Georgia was her opponent. Imagine if a MAGA's opponent controlled the election levers?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom