Student Loan Forgiveness (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rumors floating around is that today President Biden will be canceling a portion of student loans. That’s fine and all, but what’s your take on it? If it truly is only $10k in forgiveness, is that enough to make much of an impact? Is student loan forgiveness just tax payer funded student loan bribery?

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Wait, are you admitting those governments didn't mandate a lock down but instead let the citizens be responsible for their own health? What a crazy idea.

Yes. The keyword here is "responsible". The people did not buy into preventative measures here as they did in South Korea.

That led to more continued trust in their government and health officials. That is not the case in lockdown countries.

South Koreans had trust in their government because they were transparent. During a previous MERS outbreak, the government tried to withhold information to prevent panic and it didn't work. When critical information is withheld, people fill in the gaps with misinformation, which is what happened here.

Also, according this Norway was less restrictive then Sweden. Not sure how accurate, but it is a fun graph to play with.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...+by+test+positivity=false&country=USA~SWE~NOR

That chart actually shows that Norway was more restrictive at the outset and began to ease up after the fact.

Norwegian restrictions:

All educational institutions were closed and organized sports activities were to be discontinued.

A number of events and businesses were closed, including cultural events, sports events, gyms and swimming pools. All establishments in the hospitality industry such as bars, pubs and clubs other than those serving food were to close, and any establishment serving food would have to ensure that visitors could stay at least one meter apart.

Healthcare professionals working with patient care were prohibited from traveling abroad until 20 April 2020. The ban applied to both business travel and private travel.

Everyone who had returned from trips outside Sweden and Finland since 27 February were to quarantine, regardless of whether they showed symptoms or not.

Leisure travel was strongly discouraged. The Directorate discouraged travelling to work unless strictly necessary and encouraged avoiding public transport if possible, as well as avoiding crowded places.

People were requested not to visit others in institutions with vulnerable groups (the elderly, psychiatry, prison, etc.) and generally encouraged to limiting close contact with others.

The public transport schedule was to run as normal, to ensure that people with critical social functions could get to and from work and be able to distance themselves from each other.

Swedish restrictions:

Decidedly not that. There were no mask mandates, no lockdowns, and no school closures. It's well documented that their approach to the pandemic was much less restrictive.

Last edited:
    Having student loan debt is not proof of a bad financial decision in itself just because you've decided that it is.
    As a flat statement, you are correct but if the product you receive does not equal to the investment/capital you spend to receive it, what would you call it? Answer: bad investment.

Yes. The keyword here is "responsible". The people did not buy into preventative measures here as they did in South Korea.

South Koreans had trust in their government because they were transparent. During a previous MERS outbreak, the government tried to withhold information to prevent panic and it didn't work. When critical information is withheld, people fill in the gaps with misinformation, which is what happened here.

That chart actually shows that Norway was more restrictive at the outset and began to ease up after the fact.

Norwegian restrictions:

All educational institutions were closed and organized sports activities were to be discontinued.

A number of events and businesses were closed, including cultural events, sports events, gyms and swimming pools. All establishments in the hospitality industry such as bars, pubs and clubs other than those serving food were to close, and any establishment serving food would have to ensure that visitors could stay at least one meter apart.

Healthcare professionals working with patient care were prohibited from traveling abroad until 20 April 2020. The ban applied to both business travel and private travel.

Everyone who had returned from trips outside Sweden and Finland since 27 February were to quarantine, regardless of whether they showed symptoms or not.

Leisure travel was strongly discouraged. The Directorate discouraged travelling to work unless strictly necessary and encouraged avoiding public transport if possible, as well as avoiding crowded places.

People were requested not to visit others in institutions with vulnerable groups (the elderly, psychiatry, prison, etc.) and generally encouraged to limiting close contact with others.

The public transport schedule was to run as normal, to ensure that people with critical social functions could get to and from work and be able to distance themselves from each other.

Swedish restrictions:

Decidedly not that. There were no mask mandates, no lockdowns, and no school closures. It's well documented that their approach to the pandemic was much less restrictive.
    So you agree that our government withheld critical information and attempted to coddle us?

As a flat statement, you are correct but if the product you receive does not equal to the investment/capital you spend to receive it, what would you call it? Answer: bad investment.

So you admit that not everyone with student loan debt has made a bad financial decision, which invalidates your argument against the cancellation of said student loan debt.

So you admit that not everyone with student loan debt has made a bad financial decision, which invalidates your argument against the cancellation of said student loan debt.
    LOL, did you have to stretch for that one?

Yes, those that took out a loan to get a degree in a well paying job that allowed them to pay off that debt did not and hence no need for those that were not involved in that to pay it off. That is called a sound financial decision.
    Now those that took out the loans and got a degree in a field that does not pay well enough to pay off that loan did make a bad PERSONAL financial debt.

Actually very very simple.

LOL, did you have to stretch for that one?

Yes, those that took out a loan to get a degree in a well paying job that allowed them to pay off that debt did not and hence no need for those that were not involved in that to pay it off. That is called a sound financial decision.
    Now those that took out the loans and got a degree in a field that does not pay well enough to pay off that loan did make a bad PERSONAL financial debt.

Actually very very simple.

There are critical jobs, jobs that are part of the bedrock of our society, that pay shirt and require degrees. Those who choose these jobs often have no option but to take out student loans. What is your solution to this problem?

Yes, he undermined the CDC both directly and through the covid response team.
    Cool, lets deflect on this. It is your belief that he did not follow the CDC guidance during the pandemic?

There are critical jobs, jobs that are part of the bedrock of our society, that pay shirt and require degrees. Those who choose these jobs often have no option but to take out student loans. What is your solution to this problem?
    Good, glad we are on the same page about how those were bad personal financial decisions.

Now, give me an example of those critical jobs that are the bedrock of our society?

I would love to discuss possible solutions, if we can get to the point to agree that most college degrees are complete waste of money at least in comparable terms of what they cost and the benefit in receiving the product.

Good, glad we are on the same page about how those were bad personal financial decisions.

Now, give me an example of those critical jobs that are the bedrock of our society?
    Easy - Social Worker. Need a Master’s degree to be a case manager. They make from $20- 40k depending on where in America you are. Even a cc and then a satellite state school ou are looking at over $50k in debt. But you can’t pay it so you defer it. And it compounds until you owe so much your payment is more than your rent. My wife works like six of these people.

Ever met a doctor? I have. One is my brother. He is debt free because he joined the military and they paid for dental/medical school. He went to Tufts in Boston. In the 90’s it was over 100k a year. So med school alone would set out back $400k plus living expenses. In Boston.

It is easy to see how someone can walk out oweimg close to a million dollars now. That person will one day make enough to cover that payment of a thousand a month but not right away so They too will defer for as long as they and end up owing triple what they signed up for. Now they are paying 2-3k a month in loan payments. Unless you own the practice that is a hefty chunk of after tax income (which is my idea actually - let people set up a pre tax payment plan like a 401(k) with negotiated buy down rates)

So who draws the line and decides what majors are legitimate anyways? You? No offense Farb but I wouldn’t let you and your ilk pick the paper stock the forms are printed on much less what degrees have merit and which ones don’t.

Last edited:
    Cool, lets deflect on this. It is your belief that he did not follow the CDC guidance during the pandemic?

It's not a belief. It's reality. He did and I witnessed it with my own two eyes.

I would love to discuss possible solutions, if we can get to the point to agree that most college degrees are complete waste of money at least in comparable terms of what they cost and the benefit in receiving the product.

I never said they were bad personal finance decisions. In addition to social workers, lab tech isn't the most lucrative job, but without them, hospitals don't run a single test to diagnose patients.

And I don't see us ever getting to the point of agreeing on the worth of college degrees because you are on record as believing that public schools and colleges are worthless as a whole.

So, I haven’t ever trolled you, yet you just trolled me. Maybe you did it unintentionally, I don’t know and don’t care. My post about Fox lies outlined about 5 or 6 famous lies they have pushed over the past decade. So your post saying “what lies” just after that comes across as a troll.

I’m open to hearing how it’s not a troll, though. 🤷‍♀️

Easy - Social Worker. Need a Master’s degree to be a case manager. They make from $20- 40k depending on where in America you are. Even a cc and then a satellite state school ou are looking at over $50k in debt. But you can’t pay it so you defer it. And it compounds until you owe so much your payment is more than your rent. My wife works like six of these people.

Ever met a doctor? I have. One is my brother. He is debt free because he joined the military and they paid for dental/medical school. He went to Tufts in Boston. In the 90’s it was over 100k a year. So med school alone would set out back $400k plus living expenses. In Boston.

It is easy to see how someone can walk out oweimg close to a million dollars now. That person will one day make enough to cover that payment of a thousand a month but not right away so They too will defer for as long as they and end up owing triple what they signed up for. Now they are paying 2-3k a month in loan payments. Unless you own the practice that is a hefty chunk of after tax income (which is my idea actually - let people set up a pre tax payment plan like a 401(k) with negotiated buy down rates)

So who draws the line and decides what majors are legitimate anyways? You? No offense Farb but I wouldn’t let you and your ilk pick the paper stock the forms are printed on much less what degrees have merit and which ones don’t.
    Do you think requiring a case manager to have a masters degree is a good thing? Maybe a bit of overkill?

The real question, is why is a degree so expensive? They are obviously not worth it if we are asking others to help pay off a personal loan. Good idea about a pre tax payment plan. That could be part of the solution.
    What is not a solution and only vote buying is asking the public to pay off private loans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom