Social media and the 1st Amendment (Formerly: Trump seeks to punish Twitter) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    Despite Twitter historically granting Trump far more latitude with violations of Twitter terms of service than average members would get, a recent tagging of a Trump tweet with Twitter's fact-checking tool enraged the president. He announced yesterday that he will take retribution via executive order seeking to remove statutory legal protections in place for social media companies, and instructing his executive agencies (the FCC an DOJ) to formulate plans to take legal action against social media companies for "political bias."

A draft of the order has been released . . . and it is troubling to say the least.

According to analysis, the order will "reinterpret" a key provision of the Communications Decency Act (Sec. 230) that previously protected social media companies for responsibility for the content on their sites. That section works by declaring that social media companies are not "publishers" of the content posted by third-party account holders (members) - and it is statutory. The Trump order apparently also instructs the FCC to create regulations to make this new "interpretation" of Sec. 230 actionable against social media companies. In addition, the order apparently instructs the FTC (which is not an executive agency) to report to Congress on "political bias" in social media - and to consider using the reinterpreted Section 230 to bring actions against social media companies for political bias.

Apparently the order also instructs DOJ to work with state AGs to determine what state laws may be used against social media companies for political bias.

So yep, a Republican president is attempting to restructure the statutory framework that has allowed American social media companies - which are private business by the way - to grow into corporate giants without having to be answerable in court for the content posted by their members. And will do so based on the notion that private business should be held to some standard of political neutrality.

Further legal analysis will be needed, but it seems highly suspect on several important grounds (including the fact that Section 230 is statutory and is very explicit - it's not subject to rewrite by executive order). More importantly this idea that "political bias" can be defined and made actionable by federal agencies against private companies seems a patent violation of the First Amendment.

Last edited:
    It’s just comical how wrong this whole take is.

Huh...they were perfectly ok from 2016-2021.

Now platforms like Twitter/FB MUST be reigned in.

LOL.

Funny - im all for FB being reigned in for the EXACT reason he wants FB reigned in for. lol. He just dont know it.

Huh...they were perfectly ok from 2016-2021.

Now platforms like Twitter/FB MUST be reigned in.

LOL.

Funny - im all for FB being reigned in for the EXACT reason he wants FB reigned in for. lol. He just dont know it.

That plus what’s he taking about, the SCOTUS should “overrule” the Facebook AB? Does he think the Facebook board is a court somehow? “Outlawing” the president? Facebook is “without standing”? What the fork is he talking about?

I know it's anecdotal, but I believe I know more left leaning people who either don't use or don't have a Facebook than I do people who actively use it. The whole conservative bias thing is just more of the persecution complex the Trump base suffers from.

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen any people more victimized than conservatives these days. They actually think they’re about to be hunted for sport by liberals.

New Twitter account to post Trump press releases and do other pro-Trump amplification - not not actually in Trump’s hands.

You don’t have to go very far down the timeline of tweets to see him pushing the big lie about election fraud. It’s insanely transparent that it’s just a way to get around the Twitter ban.

That looks a lot like government regulating the private sector.

So basically - "Allow any kind of posting of lies, propaganda, hate speach or inflamatory retoric which may cause harm, deaths or otherwise hurt individuals or society as a whole" because we (GOP) needs this to remain in power...

That plus what’s he taking about, the SCOTUS should “overrule” the Facebook AB? Does he think the Facebook board is a court somehow? “Outlawing” the president? Facebook is “without standing”? What the fork is he talking about?

he is pandering to his demographic.

Shiny words like "overrule" and "without standing" give the impression that this has been legally "vetted" ( or Kirk has some massive legal background ) - the con is all about appearance for these folks. Thats it. LOOK and SOUND like you know what you are talking about, and your flock will believe you.

Its beyond comprehension but its a VERY VERY old sales tactic that i used very early on in my career. When i first started out in the commercial insurance sector as an agent, i couldnt sell a single policy for the first 2-3 months. I couldnt figure out why. Then one day, speaking with a prospect, he politely said " you must be new at this" and i was like " i am actually - how did you know" and he said that my verbiage was not what he was used to hearing from seasoned agents. In other words, i had little knowledge of "insurance terminology" that was key when speaking to folks who handle their insurance annually. I set off on education. Took about 2 years to fully comprehend the basic ins/outs of commercial insurance, but DURING that time, i started to get clients. All because i used certain terms/words that they recognized and understood that made them much more confident that I knew what i was doing.

I could have stopped my education there and simply "sounded" good/confident, but i wanted to master it. So i spent years obtaining knowledge and information. I still dont know some facets, but the ones i do know, i know with eyes closed.

Point being, its a sales pitch to those that want to be sold. Nothing more. And i see right thru it because i did it early in my career.

Nothing hyperbolic about this at all

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. I'll never understand why the religious right love Trump so much
    ======================================

Christian preacher Shane Vaughn, a conservative supporter of former President Donald Trump, compared Facebook's decision to suspend the ex-commander in chief to Satan's decision to kill Jesus.......

In a Wednesday YouTube video, Vaughn, the co-founder of First Harvest Ministries in Mississippi, responded to the decision, urging his followers and Trump supporters to share content from the former president on Facebook. He pointed out that the suspension did not extend to others sharing Trump's comments and other pro-Trump content.

"We need 100,000 patriots to become reporters for Donald Trump. Get his words out there, since they wanted to be so smart that they wound up being stupid," the pastor said. Right Wing Watch first reported Vaughn's remarks.

"They made the same mistake that Satan made when he killed Jesus Christ. By killing one man, and killing his voice, he created a world full of little Christians that echo the message of Christ," Vaughn continued. "See, stupid on the Devil's part."........

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. I'll never understand why the religious right love Trump so much

Christian preacher Shane Vaughn, a conservative supporter of former President Donald Trump, compared Facebook's decision to suspend the ex-commander in chief to Satan's decision to kill Jesus.......

In a Wednesday YouTube video, Vaughn, the co-founder of First Harvest Ministries in Mississippi, responded to the decision, urging his followers and Trump supporters to share content from the former president on Facebook. He pointed out that the suspension did not extend to others sharing Trump's comments and other pro-Trump content.

"We need 100,000 patriots to become reporters for Donald Trump. Get his words out there, since they wanted to be so smart that they wound up being stupid," the pastor said. Right Wing Watch first reported Vaughn's remarks.

"They made the same mistake that Satan made when he killed Jesus Christ. By killing one man, and killing his voice, he created a world full of little Christians that echo the message of Christ," Vaughn continued. "See, stupid on the Devil's part."........

What do you expect from the same folks who had no problem with the golden calf style statue of trump. These people really believe that trump is on mission from God. There is no greater religious apostasy than how they have forsaken the teachings of the faith they proclaim to practice.

These people really believe that trump is on mission from God.
    I'm not going to say I get that because I don't

But what I REALLY don't get is why they believed Trump was on a mission from God in the first place

Nothing about Trump says "Mission from God" and never did

Last edited:

I also thought this part of the article was funny
    =================================
    Vaughn clarified in a Friday email to Newsweek that his comparison was just an analogy.

"My comparison to Jesus Christ & Trump is pure analogy — I use the same analogy in my personal life when I feel betrayed — in no way am I comparing the PERSONS but rather the CIRCUMSTANCES," the pastor wrote.
    =====================================

"I'm sorry sir, this coupon expired a month ago and we can't accept it"

"This is just like when Satan killed Jesus"

I'm not going to say I get that because I don't

But what I REALLY don't get is why they believe Trump is on a mission from God in the first place

Nothing about Trump says "Mission from God" and never did
    Yeah, I'd consider myself a religious person, but I've never understood people's fascination or loyalty to Trump. He's the antithesis of all things Christian.

Yeah, I'd consider myself a religious person, but I've never understood people's fascination or loyalty to Trump. He's the antithesis of all things Christian.
    Soooo....wouldnt' that be like....the anti-christian?
    "Anti-christian, anti-Christ....until you're crucified. I live my life in a taxi cab."

for what it's worth
    ===================

Former President Donald Trump’s new “communications platform” — which is a blog called “From the Desk of Donald J. Trump” — isn’t very popular according to a new poll, not even with Trump’s own voters.

The much-derided site, which aggregates the Florida resident’s tweet-like official statements but contains no interactive features beyond the ability to share those statements — was the subject of a new Politico/Morning Consult poll.

Respondents were told “As you may know, former President Trump has a new social media website, ’From the Desk of Donald J. Trump.’,” and then were asked “How much do you expect to be engaging with this new website?”

Among all respondents, just 29 percent said they would be engaging with the site “A lot” (12%) or “Some” (17%), while 71 percent responded “Not Much” or “Not at all.”

Things were better among respondents who voted for Trump in 2020 — although not as much as you might think. Nearly half — 46 percent — responded “Not Much” or “Not at all,” and just 22 percent said they would be engaging with the site “a lot.”........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom