SCOTUS rules 6-3 that Title VII of Civil Rights Act applies to sexual orientation (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

GrandAdmiral

Reaction score
    This is a big decision. Only about 20 or so states allow such protections. This now provides protections nationwide. Long time coming for many in the LGBTQ community. 6-3 decision is pretty decisive.

It's the biggest decision in the history of civil rights based on sexual orientation/identity. It's bigger than the gay marriage ruling IMO.

I know this is a huge victory and relief for those who have been advocating it for decades. I bet some tears are being shed right now.

This is an unexpected and welcomed decision by this court. I can't believe it took this long to recognize that in law, but better late than never.

I'm grateful I now have those legal protections even though I live in Texas.

This is an unexpected and welcomed decision by this court. I can't believe it took this long to recognize that in law, but better late than never.

I'm grateful I now have those legal protections even though I live in Texas.

It really was considering most of the lower courts ruled that it didn't apply to orientation.

What was the reasoning behind the dissent?

“Businesses should be allowed to discriminate against gay and transgendered people because.......”

What was the reasoning behind the dissent?

“Businesses should be allowed to discriminate against gay and transgendered people because.......”

Because Congress in 1964 didn't pass the law intending to prevent discrimination of gay and transgendered people. And no attempts to expand the law to apply to sexual orientation in Congress have been successful.

But the words of the law (prohibiting discrimination "because of sex") are what they are. And the guys dissenting are of course the ones who claim to care the most about "textualism."

Gorsuch is an interesting character. He's very conservative, but he seems to interpert his consevatisim differently than the other conservatives on the court. Espicially when it comes to minority rights and the environnment.

Will this have an impact in regard to transgenders in the military?

Also, will this have an effect on the recent health care protection rollbacks, based on a providers ethical stance?

This is a welcome decision, but not unexpected according to some lawyers I read on Twitter.

Does this invalidate or render unconstitutional the recent EO by Trump about declining medical services?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom