Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed (Replaced by Amy Coney Barrett)(Now Abortion Discussion) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

This is ri-God-damned-diculous. They truly don't give a shirt.

Trump and the Republicans don't care -- as long as they are young and conservative, they'll sail through. They get to pack the courts with their judicial activists then try to claim some high ground when called out on it.

This is ri-God-damned-diculous. They truly don't give a shirt.

This country is in serious need of some reform when it comes to all this.

" During her time at the department, she supervised litigation for the Civil Rights Division and Civil Division, which, among other things, filed a Supreme Court brief arguing that businesses have a right to discriminate against LGBTQ customers and dropped the government’s longstanding position that a Texas voter ID law under legal challenge was intentionally racially discriminatory. "

(so basically she is a trump party loyalist. Just imagine all the damage she will do when she has a 40+ year appointment)

"Come on man. We can't all have millions parked away in an account in China like you do. I'm like the rest of the American people and don't have that kind of money parked overseas for God knows what."

This country is in serious need of some reform when it comes to all this.

" During her time at the department, she supervised litigation for the Civil Rights Division and Civil Division, which, among other things, filed a Supreme Court brief arguing that businesses have a right to discriminate against LGBTQ customers and dropped the government’s longstanding position that a Texas voter ID law under legal challenge was intentionally racially discriminatory. "

(so basically she is a trump party loyalist. Just imagine all the damage she will do when she has a 40+ year appointment)

And that’s ^ total bullshirt. I know how DOJ operates. She was “counsel to” the Associate Attorney General. As a young, inexperienced attorney, that means that somebody powerful got her a gig at DOJ and they created a spot for her to do legal tasks that the AAG told her to do. The AAG supervised the Civil Rights and Civil Division, not the god-damned “counsel to” who never led a real case in her career.

It’s like the whole Dwight Schrute “Assistant Regional Manager” thing.

And that’s ^ total bullshirt. I know how DOJ operates. She was “counsel to” the Associate Attorney General. As a young, inexperienced attorney, that means that somebody powerful got her a gig at DOJ and they created a spot for her to do legal tasks that the AAG told her to do. The AAG supervised the Civil Rights and Civil Division, not the god-damned “counsel to” who never led a real case in her career.

It’s like the whole Dwight Schrute “Assistant Regional Manager” thing.

Assistant to the Regional Manager. :yes:

That is indefensible. She has a good pedigree, but - come on.
    Oddly enough she is arguably more qualified to be an appeals court judge. Being a judge at the trial level -- although viewed as less prestigious -- is harder because it takes a lot of actual trial-level experience to make appropriate rulings. Of course, the reality is this is all about filling every vacancy with people as young as possible so they will be on the federal bench for the next fifty years.

Many have started to question the legitimacy of the federal courts due to their recent hyper-politicization under McConnell. They would be right. At least with GWB at the helm you had a mature individual selecting qualified and mature judges who could rise above partisanship. All Trump is doing is rubber-stamping the nominees handed to him by McConnell and the Federalist Society. And their only criteria is partisan loyalty and, more often than not, being shockingly young. There have been some quality nominees in the Trump era, but the majority have been partisan hacks, regardless of their education and experience.

There are arguments to be made against elected judges but, at least in Louisiana, the vast majority of people who end up elected to the state judiciary are qualified and not exceedingly partisan.

Last edited:
    Does anyone here honestly believe that this Republican executive branch and this Republican Senate won't get someone nominated and confirmed by January?

🙋‍♂️

I think there will certainly be an effort, and the stakes for democracy are monumental — possibly the biggest moment of my lifetime — but I don’t think they get it done.

Every time I see @OldTakesExposed on twitter, I have flashbacks to this reply I sent to FTP a few weeks ago. Looking forward to putting this chapter of my life behind me tonight.

As expected 52 - 48
    I feel that if Barrett had any respect for this country or a respect for the last dying wish of the person she was replacing, she would have recused, for lack of a better word, herself from consideration until after the election.

Couldn’t agree more.. The (R)s did it to themselves.. There are no more rules.

AD0764AA-92EA-4FDE-9354-92F5AEA0732D.jpeg

I also saw (no link) that Trump is considering asking Clarence Thomas to step down so that he can appoint a FOURTH Supreme Court justice in the time between the election and the inauguration.. Doesnt matter if he wins or not, he will have more time in that period than he had in the time since RBG died until ACB was sworn in last night.

I also saw (no link) that Trump is considering asking Clarence Thomas to step down so that he can appoint a FOURTH Supreme Court justice in the time between the election and the inauguration.. Doesnt matter if he wins or not, he will have more time in that period than he had in the time since RBG died until ACB was sworn in last night.

Well, thankfully, it's not up to him. Tbh, I'd rather just leave the court as it is for a bit. 3 new justices in less than 4 years seems like a lot. 4 would be too much.

Well, thankfully, it's not up to him. Tbh, I'd rather just leave the court as it is for a bit. 3 new justices in less than 4 years seems like a lot. 4 would be too much.

What’s not up to him? Trump could easily ask Clarence to take one for the team and step down to make way for another conservative justice who could serve for the next 40 years.. Seems like it’d be a shocking move, but ive lost my capacity to be shocked by this guy, and actually it’d be totally on-brand for Trump.

What’s not up to him? Trump could easily ask Clarence to take one for the team and step down to make way for another conservative justice who could serve for the next 40 years.. Seems like it’d be a shocking move, but ive lost my capacity to be shocked by this guy, and actually it’d be totally on-brand for Trump.

I'm pretty sure Thomas is gonna say no. If he does, Trump can't do anything about it. It's up to Thomas, not Trump.

And of course, the Senate can decide not to confirm if they're so inclined. I just doubt there would be any appetite in the Senate to deal with another confirmation hearing, particularly a lame duck one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom