Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed (Replaced by Amy Coney Barrett)(Now Abortion Discussion) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

So, what I was looking for was proof of your claim that it was broadly common all over the country. That there were all these Democratic prosecutors who were doing the same thing. You haven’t backed that claim up at all.

And 2 of your sources are pretty biased, actually. I’m not reading them.

The third one actually includes his reasoning: (emphasis mine)

“Gascon's memo notes that a high percentage of people arrested for minor crimes suffer from mental illness, substance abuse or homelessness.

"Los Angeles County courts should not be revolving doors for those in need of treatment and services," Gascon wrote

"Currently, over 47% of those incarcerated pre-trial on misdemeanor cases suffer from mental illness. Likewise, nearly 60% of those released each day have a significant substance use disorder. Meanwhile, individuals experiencing homelessness account for almost 20% of arrests in Los Angeles despite comprising only 1.7% of the population. The status quo has exacerbated social ills and encouraged recidivism at great public expense."”

It appears he is trying to follow the literature that suggests we can reduce the prison population by not incarcerating people who are mentally ill and not violent. The US has an obscenely high incarceration rate compared to other affluent nations. Studies have shown that imprisoning people for minor crimes doesn’t help, and most likely hurts both society and the people themselves.

The fourth article is long, but once you get past the first case, and I don’t agree with Gascon on that one, what he is trying to do is break the school to prison pipeline. It’s a deep, nuanced subject, and it will be years before we can tell if it is working. The alternative, keep doing what we’ve been doing for many decades will just keep the prisons full and make money for the prison corporations. At least Gascon is trying to break the cycle and improve public safety.

So, what I was looking for was proof of your claim that it was broadly common all over the country. That there were all these Democratic prosecutors who were doing the same thing. You haven’t backed that claim up at all.

And 2 of your sources are pretty biased, actually. I’m not reading them.

The third one actually includes his reasoning: (emphasis mine)

“Gascon's memo notes that a high percentage of people arrested for minor crimes suffer from mental illness, substance abuse or homelessness.

"Los Angeles County courts should not be revolving doors for those in need of treatment and services," Gascon wrote

"Currently, over 47% of those incarcerated pre-trial on misdemeanor cases suffer from mental illness. Likewise, nearly 60% of those released each day have a significant substance use disorder. Meanwhile, individuals experiencing homelessness account for almost 20% of arrests in Los Angeles despite comprising only 1.7% of the population. The status quo has exacerbated social ills and encouraged recidivism at great public expense."”

It appears he is trying to follow the literature that suggests we can reduce the prison population by not incarcerating people who are mentally ill and not violent. The US has an obscenely high incarceration rate compared to other affluent nations. Studies have shown that imprisoning people for minor crimes doesn’t help, and most likely hurts both society and the people themselves.

The fourth article is long, but once you get past the first case, and I don’t agree with Gascon on that one, what he is trying to do is break the school to prison pipeline. It’s a deep, nuanced subject, and it will be years before we can tell if it is working. The alternative, keep doing what we’ve been doing for many decades will just keep the prisons full and make money for the prison corporations. At least Gascon is trying to break the cycle and improve public safety.
    Yeah, nothing improves public safety like creating a turnstile for violent criminals. Works so well, people are fleeing and there was recall push as well.

If the voters there want to try and implement his rainbow and unicorn plan, go ahead. The rest of the country will watch and take notes on what not to do.

Yeah, nothing improves public safety like creating a turnstile for violent criminals. Works so well, people are fleeing and there was recall push as well.

If the voters there want to try and implement his rainbow and unicorn plan, go ahead. The rest of the country will watch and take notes on what not to do.
    So “not violent” sailed over you? I’m fine with incarcerating people who are violent, especially unprovoked.

What is happening, and has been happening for decades, is that the US is throwing non-violent people into penitentiary with violent criminals. That’s not a good idea, unless you run a for-profit prison or take campaign money from those who do. I’m fine with trying another way. But to pretend this is happening everywhere in the US was wrong. And to pretend it’s some kind of “democratic” conspiracy is wrong. Wrong on your part, evil and calculating on those people who you read and believe about this stuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom