Public Shaming of Teens- Good idea? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score

At a time in America when offensive statues and executives alike are toppling, a similar reckoning is occurring, out of view of most adults, among the country’s teenagers and college students. These teens and young adults are using anonymous crowdsourced Google documents like the one Carbajal assembled, anonymous Twitter feeds and sometimes their own public Twitter accounts to “out” their peers for making allegedly racist comments. It’s hard to know how many lists of this type exist, but Forbes, using basic keyword searches this week on Twitter—racist, google doc and high school—found Carbajal’s and at least two others containing more than four dozen names of people from schools throughout America.

I think this is a terrible idea. I know public shaming is all the rage these days, but is this a just a sanctioned form of bullying?

Sanctioned? Who sanctioned it?

Good luck trying to stop it.

Personally, while I don't engage in public shaming I also don't feel sorry for people who are clearly that racist. I'm not going to be advocating for racist to have a safe harber where they can grow and spread their ideas.

On a side note, I kind of have mad respect for her playing that long game. She collected that info for years and waited for the right time. Check mate bitches!

Bullying of all kinds are stupid and unproductive, but in todays climate everything you have done for the last 20 years seems to be open for shaming. Just look at some of the posts in the news. When it is ok to "out" and "shame" celebrities and politicians why should be then be surprised when ordinary people use the same method to "get even" with someone they don't like?

With regards to the article mentioned - it is still bullying. Claiming racist behavior and publicly shaming someone based alleged prior behavior is still wrong.

We as humans needs to do better, but with facebook, twitter, instagram and all the other available outlets it is really no surprise. It is too easy and has way to few consequenses when peoples lives are destroyed in this way

I should maybe have more depth to my thoughts on this, but I really hate racists so unless they've been falsely accused or someone committed physical violence against them, I think the racists pretty much deserve and bring the public shaming upon themselves.

I've got no sympathy for them unless they've been legitimately wronged.

I should maybe have more depth to my thoughts on this, but I really hate racists so unless they've been falsely accused or someone committed physical violence against them, I think the racists pretty much deserve and bring the public shaming upon themselves.

I've got no sympathy for them unless they've been legitimately wronged.
    Bt they are kids. Kids say and do stupid things. I mean, I am not losing sleep over it, but doing something that can seriously impact a person's future over some language is a pretty shirtty thing to do.

My issue is not with whether they are racists or not but the fact that they are publicly shamed purely by the words of others so basically anyone can make up a story about someone they don't like and add them to the list.

Bt they are kids. Kids say and do stupid things. I mean, I am not losing sleep over it, but doing something that can seriously impact a person's future over some language is a pretty shirtty thing to do.
    Yeah, I get it. I'll concede that you're probably right about doing this to young people, which is what I was alluding to with my comment in the previous post about probably needing more depth to my opinion.

That jokingly racist language eventually forms into concrete thoughts and actions that seriously impact that future of millions of people and has for centuries.

And there is lies the problem with not calling it out, naming it, confronting it and acting like it's all innocent because it's teenagers or because the conversation is private.

Hopefully with these very real examples on both sides, people will teach and raise these kids to be anti-racist so that we can begin to eradicate this disease.

That jokingly racist language eventually forms into concrete thoughts and actions that seriously impact that future of millions of people and has for centuries.

And there is lies the problem with not calling it out, naming it, confronting it and acting like it's all innocent because it's teenagers or because the conversation is private.

Hopefully with these very real examples on both sides, people will teach and raise these kids to be anti-racist so that we can begin to eradicate this disease.
    I guess I was never really a fan of fanatical puritanism.

I guess I was never really a fan of fanatical puritanism.

Neither am I, which is why I don't publicly shame anybody. I'm also not "pure" in any way. I'm sure there's a ton of ignorant crap I've said and done in my life, especially when I was young. But then again, I've never posted blatantly racist crap on social media.

I just understand why other do it and what their rational is. And there is truth in their rational for doing so.

Last edited:
    Maybe 'sanction' was the wrong term. How is 'mob approved'? I think that might be more appropriate.

I guess my main thing which a lot of you have touch on is that these are children. Kids do stupid things all the time, its part of growing up. How do you expect a kid to move forward and grow if their mistakes are listed for everyone in the world to see? You want to increase suicide in teens? I think they nailed it.

I also don't think it is particularly healthy for those keeping the list either. I don't think this is to help change people for the better. If that was the case, surely a friend or group of friends approach the kid and explain why it was wrong, would be a much better way. This 'movement' is just simply virtue signaling for those that are need that affirmation in their life that they are a good person.

In my experience, if someone want to tell you about how great of a person and virtuous they are, you probably want to keep a safe distance from that person.

Remember also that kids may not be truthful when adding someone to that list. So the risk of publicly shaming someone who has done nothing is too big. There has been too many cases of bullying and posting false information about young teens, some with fatal results, that I really cant see what "benefit" a list like this one has, exept to get some kind of "revenge" on who ever is put on it.

Kids do stupid things all the time, its part of growing up.

I think the point that is being made with these public shaming is that this is no longer a valid excuse when it comes to racism. Not even for kids. Neither is it a valid excuse to say it was done in private. It's not just about virtue signaling, as you see. At least for the people doing these public shaming.

In other words, if you don't want your kids to suffer a similar "exposure" that can effect the rest of their lives, teach them to not be racist or post racist crap.

I understand why that's grating for so many people and why it angers them. But I just also understand the other side and they're not completely wrong. Ultimately, this isn't illegal and it can't be stopped.

Remember also that kids may not be truthful when adding someone to that list. So the risk of publicly shaming someone who has done nothing is too big. There has been too many cases of bullying and posting false information about young teens, some with fatal results, that I really cant see what "benefit" a list like this one has, exept to get some kind of "revenge" on who ever is put on it.

I agree. The people who choose to do this type of public shaming also put a target on their own back. The open themseleves up to criticism, people looking into their background and retaliatory attacks by people they call out.

I think the point that is being made with these public shaming is that this is no longer a valid excuse when it comes to racism. Not even for kids. Neither is it a valid excuse to say it was done in private. It's not just about virtue signaling, as you see. At least for the people doing these public shaming.

In other words, if you don't want your kids to suffer a similar "exposure" that can effect the rest of their lives, teach them to not be racist or post racist crap.

I understand why that's grating for so many people and why it angers them. But I just also understand the other side and they're not completely wrong. Ultimately, this isn't illegal and it can't be stopped.

And what if someone was added to the list by someone telling a lie? We're talking young teens. The number of young teens who commit suicide due to cyberbulling each year is quite high.. Even if they did do it ... would that still be fine with you?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom