Parler/MeWe - Facebook/Twitter Exodus (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

brandon

Reaction score

So, my Facebook has blown up since the election with people declaring that they are leaving Facebook and Twitter for Parler and MeWe. The reasoning is that Facebook and Twitter are "censoring" right-wing messaging for having the audacity to label fake news, well...fake. Parler claims a commitment to uncensored free speech, and MeWe claims a commitment to online privacy.

But Parler especially is a bastion of right-wing hate and anti-semitism. It seems the mass exodus is obviously in response to the election results. I fear that many of the people moving to Parler from Facebook don't know what they're getting into. They're going to radicalize themselves in the cesspool that is the truly extremist alt-right echo chamber.

There are many "normal" people that have never been exposed to the darkest underbellies of 8chan and the like. Parler will bring those people right into the fold of right-wing extremism. This is, IMO, an extremely dangerous situation unfolding.

Last edited:

DaveXA

Reaction score

So, my Facebook has blown up since the election with people declaring that they are leaving Facebook and Twitter for Parler and MeWe. The reasoning is that Facebook and Twitter are "censoring" right-wing messaging for having the audacity to label fake news, well...fake. Parler claims a commitment to uncensored free speech, and MeWe claims a commitment to online privacy.

But Parler especially is a bastion of right-wing hate and anti-semitism. It seems the mass exodus is obviously in response to the election results. I fear that many of the people moving to Parler from Facebook don't know what they're getting into. They're going to radicalize themselves in the cesspool that is the truly extremist alt-right echo chamber.

There are many "normal" people that have never been exposed to the darkest underbellies of 8chan and the like. Parler will bring those people right into the fold of right-wing extremism. This is, IMO, an extremely dangerous situation unfolding.

If it makes them feel better, have at it. Less crap on FB or Twitter isn't a bad thing, even if I don't ever use it. It's not like they need Parler/MeWe to get their fix. They already get that from sites like Orly or Gateway Pundit, and of course other discussion boards and sites.

Bigdaddysaints

Reaction score
I joined this like 4 years ago. It was supposed to be the NEXT BIG THING, everyone was gonna leave the Facebook drama behind.. I was like, you do realize all the drama on Facebook is user driven, what will make this different?.. Crickets..lol...I logged in the other day when i saw people posting. I am willing to bet 99% of them have not stopped posting on Facebook and won't stop.. lol

Saint by the Bay

Reaction score
I joined this like 4 years ago. It was supposed to be the NEXT BIG THING, everyone was gonna leave the Facebook drama behind.. I was like, you do realize all the drama on Facebook is user driven, what will make this different?.. Crickets..lol...I logged in the other day when i saw people posting. I am willing to bet 99% of them have not stopped posting on Facebook and won't stop.. lol

They aren't. It's basically going to become an aggregate news feed for far-right news, and there's already a bunch of websites and an entire news station dedicated to that.

I had some friends shut down their Facebook pages and go there on Saturday. By Sunday night their accounts were active again. My wife and I were cracking up.

Saint by the Bay

Reaction score
The bastion of free speech has already started banning people.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***** at Yoko
Reaction score
This pretty much sums it up.

ED93DA40-852D-4403-9F63-26C0B2E492C3.jpeg

Sandman

Reaction score
They aren't. It's basically going to become an aggregate news feed for far-right news, and there's already a bunch of websites and an entire news station dedicated to that.

I had some friends shut down their Facebook pages and go there on Saturday. By Sunday night their accounts were active again. My wife and I were cracking up.

That’s a shame. I was about to unfollow some people until they said they were leaving. I was like, “good, one less thing to have to deal with.”

So they come back, huh? Damn.

ktulu909

Reaction score
I have a few I unfriended on Facebook, but if it's someone who's been in my life awhile, I just snooze them for 30 days. If they still coocoo after that, they get un followed. If they load my inbox full of bullshirt and conspiracy theories, the get unfriended.

DaveXA

Reaction score
I have a few I unfriended on Facebook, but if it's someone who's been in my life awhile, I just snooze them for 30 days. If they still coocoo after that, they get un followed. If they load my inbox full of bullshirt and conspiracy theories, the get unfriended.

I haven't unfriended anyone, but I have unfollowed a bunch of them so their drivel doesn't appear in my newsfeed. That said, I'm on my FB maybe 2-3 times a year. Not worth messing with anymore.

Saint by the Bay

Reaction score
I haven't unfriended anyone, but I have unfollowed a bunch of them so their drivel doesn't appear in my newsfeed. That said, I'm on my FB maybe 2-3 times a year. Not worth messing with anymore.

Do you know what I read when I see this? How are we not friends on Facebook? That's what I take away from this post.

BayouSAINTJoe

The Anti-Republican
Reaction score
So does this mean that I'll no longer see posts on the Saints FB Page from "fans" that are quitting the NFL because the players are "disrespecting the troops"?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Top Bottom