NYT: Trump reportedly plotted a shakeup of the DOJ in a scheme to force Georgia to overturn its election results (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Incumbent

Reaction score
    Katie Benner reports that the plan was abandoned under the threat of mass resignations if an attempt was made to move forward with the idea.

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department’s top leaders listened in stunned silence this month: One of their peers, they were told, had devised a plan with President Donald J. Trump to oust Jeffrey A. Rosen as acting attorney general and wield the department’s power to force Georgia state lawmakers to overturn its presidential election results.

The unassuming lawyer who worked on the plan, Jeffrey Clark, had been devising ways to cast doubt on the election results and to bolster Mr. Trump’s continuing legal battles and the pressure on Georgia politicians. Because Mr. Rosen had refused the president’s entreaties to carry out those plans, Mr. Trump was about to decide whether to fire Mr. Rosen and replace him with Mr. Clark.

The department officials, convened on a conference call, then asked each other: What will you do if Mr. Rosen is dismissed?

The answer was unanimous. They would resign.

Last edited:
    Doesn’t Trump have legal exposure here, as well as Clarke, maybe? Isnt this literally election fraud?

The impeachment charge does mention an effort to change the GA election, IIRC, but it stemmed from the phone call that was recorded and released. I would hope they can at least subpoena some of these people.

Also, theory I heard on TV to answer the question “Why do all this when GA isn’t enough to turn the election?” They apparently thought that if they could flip one state, then the R legislatures in PA and MI would feel justified in trying to certify Trump electors. They thought GA would be the easiest to flip, but they had also tried to lean on MI and PA legislators as well.

“Why do all this when GA isn’t enough to turn the election?”

I always thought it was a “if you can throw doubt on one, you can throw doubt on them all” thing. If they can find just one vote that was fraudulent, that’s all they need to keep the “well, if this one was, then...” ball rolling.

Yes, that was exactly what I was trying to convey and failing, lol.

Doesn’t Trump have legal exposure here, as well as Clarke, maybe? Isnt this literally election fraud?

The impeachment charge does mention an effort to change the GA election, IIRC, but it stemmed from the phone call that was recorded and released. I would hope they can at least subpoena some of these people.

Also, theory I heard on TV to answer the question “Why do all this when GA isn’t enough to turn the election?” They apparently thought that if they could flip one state, then the R legislatures in PA and MI would feel justified in trying to certify Trump electors. They thought GA would be the easiest to flip, but they had also tried to lean on MI and PA legislators as well.

I dunno, without video or audio evidence, it's gonna be a tough sell. He didn't follow through on it and the source would have to be pretty ironclad to be used in the trial.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is true though.

So, doesn’t matter that it didn’t work, I don’t think. It seems like it would still be a crime.

And there multiple DOJ officials on the call, who were informed of the plan. Presumably you could grant Clark immunity so he could testify against Trump.

This is a pretty big deal, IMO. Much worse than Nixon, and I hope we don’t make the same mistake and not hold a criminal president to the same standard as an ordinary citizen. No one is above the law and all that.

So, doesn’t matter that it didn’t work, I don’t think. It seems like it would still be a crime.

And there multiple DOJ officials on the call, who were informed of the plan. Presumably you could grant Clark immunity so he could testify against Trump.

This is a pretty big deal, IMO. Much worse than Nixon, and I hope we don’t make the same mistake and not hold a criminal president to the same standard as an ordinary citizen. No one is above the law and all that.

Conspiring to commit a crime often carries the same penalties as committing the crime, whether you actually did or not.

I agree with all that, but I'm not the person needing to be convinced. The judge or jury would have to be the ones convinced. I am curious how they'll see and judge it.

I fear the stories of this administration will go on for years and years.

Well I guess we figured out that a crook business man is worse than a crook politician

When this is all said and done he is gonna make Agnew and Nixon look like toddlers

Well I guess we figured out that a crook business man is worse than a crook politician

When this is all said and done he is gonna make Agnew and Nixon look like toddlers

i have no doubt that there is a ton of stuff we don’t know about

And that at least some of it will be revealed eventually

Tbh, if I never hear that idiot's name again, I wouldn't care if he retired and was never heard from again. He's not worth wasting a thought on. So done with it. I know wishing it away isn't reality, but I can dream, heh.

The Department of Justice's (DOJ) internal watchdog announced Monday that it would investigate whether any of the agency's officials "engaged in an improper attempt to have DOJ seek to alter the outcome" of the 2020 election.

In a brief statement, the DOJ Office of the Inspector General (OIG) announced that the probe would encompass current and former agency officials.

"The investigation will encompass all relevant allegations that may arise that are within the scope of the OIG’s jurisdiction," Michael Horowitz, the department's inspector general, said in the statement. "The OIG has jurisdiction to investigate allegations concerning the conduct of former and current DOJ employees. The OIG's jurisdiction does not extend to allegations against other government officials."

Hmmm... I must admit to suspicions. Isn't this just another unsourced story from the New York Times, which is incredibly anti-Trump ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom