NYC unveils vending machine for drug users, with free crack pipes and Narcan for ODs (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Echo

Reaction score
    Providing access to items like clean, safe pipes and syringes is part of harm reduction efforts, which includes slowing the transmission of diseases.
    So to cut back on drug use we're offering crack pipes. Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Maybe it's another one of those liberal concepts I can't quite wrap my head around.

So to cut back on drug use we're offering crack pipes. Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Maybe it's another one of those liberal concepts I can't quite wrap my head around.
    No, to keep people from dying from diseases normally transmitted by paraphernalia, ,we're offering clean crack pipes to people who are already addicted.

You can't treat someone who's addicted to crack who also is dead from tuberculosis.

Or maybe you aren't making an effort to look at this with an open mind?

If the evidence showed that people stop using drugs when they don't have access to clean, safe pipes and syringes, then that would be an easy solution to the drug problem. Instead, what happens, is people reuse dirty needles and smoke from whatever dangerous items they can use. Often, this paraphernalia ends up being shared.

We can also safely assume that making these items available does not encourage new drug users to start because access to paraphernalia isn't a barrier on its own.

If you can't wrap your head around it, then perhaps you ought to be quiet.

While our addictions counselor is working with someone with their addiction to heroin, they're also providing them with free syringes as they also don't want them dealing with the anguish of having HIV or any other condition which would make the treatment of the addicition even more difficult, if not impossible.

I'm pretty sure I told you before that reading is fundamental. Let me add that reading more than just Fox News is fundamental.

Next thing you know we're going to offer Oreo cake to fat people who are dieting. That's pretty much the same thing.

Next thing you know we're going to offer Oreo cake to fat people who are dieting. That's pretty much the same thing.

Yes, exactly the same....for those with an open mind.....or some other such utter nonsense

The idea is to raise the level of safety for people who are going to engage in drug use regardless. Furthermore, cutting down on transmissible diseases has a social benefit beyond just helping drug users.

The idea is to raise the level of safety for people who are going to engage in drug use regardless. Furthermore, cutting down on transmissible diseases has a social benefit beyond just helping drug users.
    I’m glad you’re trying, but I’ve seen zero effort on his part to have any sort of rational discussion. I think he’s a troll, sorry to say.

I'm not sure how giving away free crack pipes helps the drug problem in a city. Maybe I'm missing something. Could someone please explain this to me?

You know what really didn't help the crack problem? Shipping to the inner cities by the plane load.

It saves money and lives, what's the objection? Do you have data that providing these things increases drug use? Do you have evidence that it creates new drug users or adds a barrier to reducing addiction? These programs have been tried elsewhere and they are correlated with less ER visits, less strain on healthcare visits, resulting in cost savings as well as fewer deaths - these are all desirable, right?

I'll try to put it in a context your mind might be able to deal with. Think advertisement. It's a free vending machine which will attract the very people they want to deal with, and it will have surfaces where ad's as such can be placed. Phone numbers and information for the addicts to connect with help. Help instead of prison.

Crack pipes are super cheap to make. I doubt they cost a nickle if they are bought in bulk. The packaging would be the larger part of the expense, and that too is a place where phone numbers and information for where to get help can be printed.

So in a nut shell I put this in capitalist terms to make it more understandable for you. It is after all a part of our capitalistic system, and it follows the capitalistic pattern of advertisement being the first foot being wedged betwixt door and door jamb to keep the door to the house open.

I'm not sure how giving away free crack pipes helps the drug problem in a city. Maybe I'm missing something. Could someone please explain this to me?
    Weighted against the cost of treating diseases (hepatitis, STD's, etc) that spread not only among users but their families, friends, acquaintances, and unsuspected general public because of the use of contaminated drug paraphernalia, it's cheaper to give away the clean paraphernalia.

Weighted against the cost of treating diseases (hepatitis, STD's, etc) that spread not only among users but their families, friends, acquaintances, and unsuspected general public because of the use of contaminated drug paraphernalia, it's cheaper to give away the clean paraphernalia.
    I can see that point. Very well put.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom