Now is not the time to talk about gun control (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

California’s department of justice can resume its practice of providing gun owners’ personal information to researchers, a state appellate court ruled on Friday.

The ruling comes after a seven-year back-and-forth between the state’s justice department, its legislature and gun violence researchers over sales record data that includes purchasers’ names, addresses and occupations and the type of firearm purchased.

The data sets, researchers say, are key to understanding the dynamics of gun violence in the US……

Poor boy. He’s lucky he is just broke when he should be in jail.

Yup, I remember a few on here defended him….disgusting….but happy to hear that he has run out of white supremacy good will at least, financially…..

How utterly stupid. The people responsible for these laws are imbeciles

Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) had some home-state statistics thrown back at him by a witness on Tuesday when he asked about gun violence in Chicago during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on “the gun violence epidemic.”

“May I ask you this?” Kennedy began, addressing Dr. Megan L. Ranney, the dean of Yale’s School of Public Health.

“Why do you think that Chicago has become America’s largest outdoor shooting range? You think it’s because of Chicago citizens? Who have no criminal record, but but who have lawfully a gun in their home for protection. Or perhaps for hunting. Or do you think it’s because of a finite group of criminals who have rap sheets as long as King Kong’s arm?” Kennedy asked, echoing common GOP talking points.

“So, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Missouri actually have higher firearm death rates,” Ranney replied.

“What about Chicago?” Kennedy shot back.

“Sir I don’t live in Chicago. It’s not my primary area of research,” Ranney said in response.

“You don’t have an opinion on that?” Kennedy followed up.

“I think there’s easy access to firearms compared with combined with environmental conditions. Lack of great education. There are actually been studies showing that when you green vacant lots and repair abandoned buildings in urban neighborhoods, you see decreases in gunshots, in violence as well as in stress and depression in the neighborhoods around them,” Ranney replied.

“No disrespect, doc, but that sounds a lot like word salad to me,” Kennedy replied............

It was no accident that Kennedy used “King Kong” to refer to a “finite group of criminals”. This is a dog whistle folks. He may as well put his hood on right in the committee room.

Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) had some home-state statistics thrown back at him by a witness on Tuesday when he asked about gun violence in Chicago during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on “the gun violence epidemic.”

“May I ask you this?” Kennedy began, addressing Dr. Megan L. Ranney, the dean of Yale’s School of Public Health.

“Why do you think that Chicago has become America’s largest outdoor shooting range? You think it’s because of Chicago citizens? Who have no criminal record, but but who have lawfully a gun in their home for protection. Or perhaps for hunting. Or do you think it’s because of a finite group of criminals who have rap sheets as long as King Kong’s arm?” Kennedy asked, echoing common GOP talking points.

“So, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Missouri actually have higher firearm death rates,” Ranney replied.

“Sir I don’t live in Chicago. It’s not my primary area of research,” Ranney said in response.

“I think there’s easy access to firearms compared with combined with environmental conditions. Lack of great education. There are actually been studies showing that when you green vacant lots and repair abandoned buildings in urban neighborhoods, you see decreases in gunshots, in violence as well as in stress and depression in the neighborhoods around them,” Ranney replied.

“No disrespect, doc, but that sounds a lot like word salad to me,” Kennedy replied............

“No disrespect” followed immediately by disrespect. Plus, iirc, that azzhat has a degree from Harvard or Yale. He just plays that cornpone bullschlitz for his MAGAt base.

“No disrespect” followed immediately by disrespect. Plus, iirc, that azzhat has a degree from Harvard or Yale. He just plays that cornpone bullschlitz for his MAGAt base.
    Think you’re right and I’ve read he definitely lays on the Leghorn Foghorn

In the wake of mass shootings across the country, including at home in Lewiston, U.S. Senator Angus King (I-Maine) has introduced legislation with his colleague, Senator Martin Heinrich (D-NM), to curb mass killings. According to a statement from King, the bill will not hinder Americans who own a firearm for self-defense or the marksmen who head to the shooting range or the woods during hunting season. King stated that The Gas-Operated Semi-Automatic Firearms Exclusion (GOSAFE) Act will protect communities from gun violence while safeguarding law-abiding Americans’ constitutional right to own a firearm for legitimate self-defense, hunting and sporting purposes.
    “For years, I have said that rather than using the appearance of these guns to restrict them, we should instead focus on how these weapons actually work and the features that make them especially dangerous,” said Senator King. “The Gas-Operated Semi-Automatic Firearms Exclusion (GOSAFE) Act addresses the lethal capacity weapons like the one used in Lewiston and most of the deadliest mass shootings across the country. Nothing can bring back the lives of our family and friends, but responsible actions moving forward can reduce the likelihood of such a nightmare happening again in Maine or anywhere else.”
    A fact sheet and bill text for the GOSAFE Act can be found here and below.

The GOSAFE Act would:
    Regulate Sale, Transfer & Manufacture of Gas-Operated Semi-Automatic Firearms
    The GOSAFE Act would regulate the sale, transfer, and manufacture of gas-operated semi-automatic weapons by:
    Establishing a list of prohibited firearms
    Preventing unlawful modifications of permissible firearms
    Mandating that future gas-operated designs are approved before manufacture
    Preventing unlawful firearm self-assembly and manufacturing
    Protect Americans’ Second Amendment Right
    The GOSAFE Act protects Americans’ constitutional right to own a gun based on a firearm’s established use for self-defense, hunting, and sporting purposes. The bill accomplishes this by including exemptions based on maximum ammunition capacity according to a firearm’s individual class: a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.
    This capacity must be “permanently fixed,” meaning the firearm cannot accept a detachable, high-capacity magazine that would increase the number of rounds that can be fired before reloading and make reloading easier.

Ranney had a chance to really drive the point home, but missed it due to being too much of a normal human being.

She should have simply repeated herself. "No sir, I have no opinion on Chicago, my work only involves the worst places for gun violence. Which are, as I said, Mississippi, Missouri and your home state of Louisiana."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom