Now is not the time to talk about gun control (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Suggesting that New Jersey's recent concealed carry law infringes on the public's Second Amendment rights, a federal judge on Monday put a temporary hold on the legislation drafted after the U.S. Supreme Court expanded gun rights last year.

A legal challenge to the new law hinges in part on the argument that it effectively makes much of the state a “sensitive place” where carrying a firearm is barred. The plaintiffs argued the legislation barred carrying on private property as well.

U.S. District Judge Renee Marie Bumb seemed convinced of that argument.

“As Plaintiffs lament, the challenged provisions force a person permitted to carry a firearm in New Jersey to navigate a ‘veritable minefield,’” she wrote. “Their view is a legitimate one. The Court knows of no constitutional right that requires this much guesswork by individuals wanting to exercise such right.”

In her 60-page opinion, Bumb said the plaintiffs hold valid concealed carry permits and were being deprived of their Second Amendment rights, which “constitutes irreparable injury, and neither the State nor the public has an interest in enforcing unconstitutional laws.”...............

Florida officials have proposed a ban on the state tracking firearm and ammunition purchases, arguing that tracking them violates the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

State Agriculture Commissioner Wilton Simpson (R), state Sen. Danny Burgess (R) and state Rep. John Snyder (R) announced the proposed legislation on Tuesday. They said the legislation, which Simpson called the “Florida Arms and Ammo Act,” will prohibit the state’s financial institutions from collecting data on firearm and ammunition purchases.

“We are all blessed to live in the free state of Florida where our Second Amendment rights are valued and protected, but Democrats in Washington continue to try to chip away at these rights — and we must stay vigilant,” Simpson said in a news release..........

Florida officials have proposed a ban on the state tracking firearm and ammunition purchases, arguing that tracking them violates the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

State Agriculture Commissioner Wilton Simpson (R), state Sen. Danny Burgess (R) and state Rep. John Snyder (R) announced the proposed legislation on Tuesday. They said the legislation, which Simpson called the “Florida Arms and Ammo Act,” will prohibit the state’s financial institutions from collecting data on firearm and ammunition purchases.

“We are all blessed to live in the free state of Florida where our Second Amendment rights are valued and protected, but Democrats in Washington continue to try to chip away at these rights — and we must stay vigilant,” Simpson said in a news release..........

Wait, the article says this:

“The release states that the organization’s move would create a “quasi-registry” of Floridians who have legally purchased a gun or ammunition. However, the codes, which exist for many types of businesses, categorize businesses instead of tracking consumers.”

So, these codes won’t track individual purchases? These idiots are really something special. Morons.

what exactly is the argument against a gun registry?
    In a nut shell the argument is our government might turn corrupt. The citizens might need to rebel. The second amendment insures that the citizens can rise up if they need to, so that will keep our government in line, and nothing else will.

To apply that to a gun registry, if there is a list of the guns in the hands of the citizens then a corrupt government could go out and collect all of the guns before the citizens could rise up and overthrow it.

:(

That applies and explains why a third of Americans saw no problem with Jan 6th. That's the fundamental part of it. They saw Jan 6th as being a case of the citizens rising up against a corrupt government because Trump the conman lied and they believed him.

I agree with this.

The actor Alec Baldwin will be charged with involuntary manslaughter for handling the gun that discharged on the set of “Rust,” killing its cinematographer, as will the movie’s armorer, who loaded the gun, prosecutors in New Mexico announced on Thursday.

Prosecutors said they would charge Mr. Baldwin with two counts of involuntary manslaughter, saying that he had a duty to ensure the gun and the ammunition were properly checked and that he should never have pointed it at anyone. “You should not point a gun at someone that you’re not willing to shoot,” the district attorney for Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, said in an interview. “That goes to basic safety standards.”

I agree with this.

The actor Alec Baldwin will be charged with involuntary manslaughter for handling the gun that discharged on the set of “Rust,” killing its cinematographer, as will the movie’s armorer, who loaded the gun, prosecutors in New Mexico announced on Thursday.

Prosecutors said they would charge Mr. Baldwin with two counts of involuntary manslaughter, saying that he had a duty to ensure the gun and the ammunition were properly checked and that he should never have pointed it at anyone. “You should not point a gun at someone that you’re not willing to shoot,” the district attorney for Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, said in an interview. “That goes to basic safety standards.”
    Up to a point I agree with that, if it's a rifle one can keep it pointed somewhere other than at someone. With a rife I can shoot the dust off of the wings of a fly at 50 yards.

However with a pistol I can't hit a barn from the inside with the door closed. There's no telling where a bullet is gong to go if it comes out of a pistol.

If a person is inside of a room with a pistol they're pointing it at everyone in that room including their own leg and foot.

If they're outside draw a circle with a radius the length of the range of the bullet, and anyone inside of that circle has a gun pointed at them, once again including the person with the pistol.

Up to a point I agree with that, if it's a rifle one can keep it pointed somewhere other than at someone. With a rife I can shoot the dust off of the wings of a fly at 50 yards.

However with a pistol I can't hit a barn from the inside with the door closed. There's no telling where a bullet is gong to go if it comes out of a pistol.

If a person is inside of a room with a pistol they're pointing it at everyone in that room including their own leg and foot.

If they're outside draw a circle with a radius the length of the range of the bullet, and anyone inside of that circle has a gun pointed at them, once again including the person with the pistol.
    This was a revolver so let's talk revolvers. I could put 3 out of 5 shots with a revolver, my old S&W model 28, almost within a silver dollar size black circle at 100 paces and I'm not a competitive shooter. So, revolvers/sidearms are not as inaccurate as you're intimating. Second, Baldwin absolutely had the responsibility to check that firearm before pointing it at anyone and pulling the trigger. Now, he claims he didn't pull the trigger. I don't believe him.

The whole thing about he shouldn't have pointed the gun at anyone... well, that kinda means no more guns in movies.

If I recall correctly, in this scene, Baldwin was supposed to be pointing the gun at the camera, which would have been hard to do without also pointing it at the person operating the camera.

I do agree that Baldwin, as the producer, is ultimately responsible for the safety of everyone on set, so there should be some culpability here.

But to say no one should every point a gun at anyone, including on a movie set, seems a little dumb.

The whole thing about he shouldn't have pointed the gun at anyone... well, that kinda means no more guns in movies.

If I recall correctly, in this scene, Baldwin was supposed to be pointing the gun at the camera, which would have been hard to do without also pointing it at the person operating the camera.

I do agree that Baldwin, as the producer, is ultimately responsible for the safety of everyone on set, so there should be some culpability here.

But to say no one should every point a gun at anyone, including on a movie set, seems a little dumb.

"You should not point a gun at someone that you’re not willing to shoot,” the district attorney for Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, said in an interview. “That goes to basic safety standards.”

Well, ^^^this is the general rule and one I personally adhere to. Now, of course, on a movie set, that's a little difficult but it could be done with the right camera work. Anyway, the point is you better be more careful than they were on this set.

Thinking out loud. I would assume the gun in question was either a Colt SAA or a replica of some kind of an SAA. They fire, generally speaking, .45 long colt. These are .45 LC blanks:

SA45-2.jpg

These are some live .45 LC rounds:

45-Colt-5.jpg

Quite a difference.

I'm curious to see if anything comes out that we haven't seen yet because this seems like an unprecedented step. Nobody was brought up on criminal charges when Brandon Lee died in a similar situation.

I'm curious to see if anything comes out that we haven't seen yet because this seems like an unprecedented step. Nobody was brought up on criminal charges when Brandon Lee died in a similar situation.
    It is unprecedented. I think the New Mexico DA is sending a message. If you're making a movie it is paramount that safety plays a key role. There is no excuse for "accidents".

It is unprecedented. I think the New Mexico DA is sending a message. If you're making a movie it is paramount that safety plays a key role. There is no excuse for "accidents".

I get charging the armorer. They are responsible. I don't see the point in charging the actor. The armorer's job is to ensure the safety of the weapons, period. They are the professionals, not the actors, director, or anyone else on that set.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom