Next Speaker of the House? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    There’s a lot of doubt that Kevin McCarthy will be able to get enough votes to become Speaker. It certainly won’t happen on the first ballot. Already Boboert and MTG are publicly at odds over it.

Maybe this is worth it’s own thread to watch. One person mentioned is Scalise.

1673063668889.png

LOL, now they are about to fight in the House! But according to their constituents, this is what democracy looks like and they love it!

Y'all, I'm working. I can't follow much. What's happening?

Came down to Gaetz (he didn’t vote in the first call so it went back to him to vote if he so chose). Lot of heated discussion in his face as he sat there. McCarthy even went to talk to him - it didn’t go well (possibly some yelling) and McCarthy told everyone it wasn’t happening. So then others got in his face or tried to horse trade or whatever.

But Gaetz didn’t cave and the vote failed.

Came down to Gaetz (he didn’t vote in the first call so it went back to him to vote if he so chose). Lot of heated discussion in his face as he sat there. McCarthy even went to talk to him - it didn’t go well (possibly some yelling) and McCarthy told everyone it wasn’t happening. So then others got in his face or tried to horse trade or whatever.

But Gaetz didn’t cave and the vote failed.

I never thought I would say this, but thank you to Matt Gaetz for sticking to his principles. lol

It comes down to legislation, and concessions. Democrats would want something for voting for the Republican speaker. It would probably have to do with some amount of committee assignments, and investigations.

No one believes Republicans are going to pass Democrat legislation. If that's the case, Republicans don't actually have a lot to offer Democrats.

Also from the real politik argument, Democrats want a Republican house clown show. Remind the American public how dysfunctional Republican rule would be for 2024.

I would remind all the moderates on the board. What are you witnessing could have happened in 2020. Progressives played nice the entirety of the 2 years Democrats had complete control. They could, and some argue, should have pushed for major concessions from the party.
    I think one of the concessions should be to allow amendments on Republican legislation and to allow Democrats to send legislation to the floor to get a vote. I don't think they'll allow legislation that doesn't have heavy Republican support to go to the floor for a vote, but if Democrats have a piece of legislation that can garner a lot of Republican support, then I think they should be allowed to put it to a vote. I think there was legislation that would've won many Republicans in the last Republican controlled House that McCarthy wouldn't allow to go to the floor for a vote. That has to change.

Another concession that I've heard is to allow even representation on committees, since the House is split nearly 50/50.

Yes, the Republicans have been dysfunctional, and that has been terrible for the country. The Republican party has to moderate, and start working to improve government, rather than to destroy the government, for the good of the country. It's bad for the country to have only one responsible party. It's not even good for the Democratic party to not have a viable opponent.

Man, just logged in to find out if we had a Speaker. How can McCarthy pretend he is able to do this job when he obviously cannot count? This is so stupid I cannot believe it.

Man, just logged in to find out if we had a Speaker. How can McCarthy pretend he is able to do this job when he obviously cannot count? This is so stupid I cannot believe it.

And now he’s just getting Gaetz’d on national television.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom