Mayor Cantrell owes $95,000+ in back taxes - IRS puts liens on her house (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr. Sparkle

Reaction score
    Hello MAP board, I am breaking my "no politics posts" resolution to make my first contribution here. I thought about posting on EE on the home site but seems to be more political than anything else, so here we are.

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell owes more than $95,000 to the Internal Revenue Service for unpaid taxes over the course of six years, according to liens filed by the agency against her home in Broadmoor.
    The liens, first reported by WVUE-TV on Thursday, were all filed after Cantrell was elected mayor in 2018.
    They are on top of nearly $30,000 in liens that were revealed by The Lens during the 2017 mayoral election. Cantrell initially dismissed those as being due to a bank error and said she paid them off before voters went to the polls.

According to a 2018 financial disclosure form, Cantrell made about $138,400 as mayor and her husband made more than $100,000 as a defense attorney. Her 2019 financial disclosure form was not posted on the state Ethics Board's website on Thursday and it was not clear whether she had filed one.

She and her husband have around $240,000 in annual income, she has no transportation costs (Orleans Parish sheriffs drive her and City Council everywhere) and a city expense account. Yet these aren't old, unpaid taxes that are snowballing with penalties and interest - she and her husband apparently just don't pay their federal taxes. Meanwhile she shakes her finger at the voters over complaints of heavy-handed enforcement of city revenue grabs like speed cameras.

Our city is truly cursed. Every mayor of my adult lifetime has been a disaster of one stripe or another.

Last edited:
    She certainly has changed her whole attitude from the one she had while campaigning and even for her first few months in office. I actually had a little hope she wouldn't be terrible. Ever since the Hard Rock collapse, she's become insufferable. Her refusal to let the city council look into the Hard Rock collapse sure looks like she doesn't want something to be discovered. I'll bet if she were still on the council she'd be singing a different tune.

Well, at least she compares herself to other struggling homeowners in New Orleans...who her municipal government brings to tax sales if they don't pay their rising property taxes and boots their cars if they don't pay parking tickets or speed camera tickets (after she lowered the threshold without telling anyone until a few months of tickets were issued).

Married to the attorney who, in 2012, was suspended as Asst CA because a joint fell out his pocket while talking to an officer.

LOLOLOL

this City doesnt need a script writer- just a proof reader lol.

If it wasn't so sad it would be hilarious... So glad I left the city long ago... No one there seems to want to vote for a trustworthy person to save there souls.... been that way for quite a while too...

And before someone tries to defend her as Poor, Pitiful, Down on her luck, Just can't pay her taxes person... Just remember this....

This is years (like 7-10) of knowingly and purposefully not paying Federal Income Tax... The IRS doesn't just put a lien on your house... They put a lien on your house when you evade paying taxes (and garnishments) and purposefully ignore the notices, warnings, and requests... and just simply don't contact them or acknowledge them...

She can save her "poor me" act... it's ridiculous.

Last edited:
    Cantrell is an incompetent joke. She was no different when she was on the council, so I'm not sure why anyone voted for her to begin with. She should have been laughed out of the room the minute she announced her candidacy.

Speaking of the Hard Rock, has anyone seen the article that the Hard Rock developers have contributed $70,000 to her campaign and super pac? No wonder she's throwing such a fit about the council wanting to hold hearings following her three months of inaction...

Hopefully her career implodes with that building, and she's never heard from again.

WOAH. Wait a min. We can use gifs now?
    This should make everyones butt hole pucker up a bit regardless of political leanings. BobE with the power of gifs

There needs to be better oversight of municipal governments. Mayors and city councils seem to do dirty stuff with money all the time.

Do any states have agencies tasked specifically with auditing and overseeing city governments with respect to fraud and abuse?

There needs to be better oversight of municipal governments. Mayors and city councils seem to do dirty stuff with money all the time.

Do any states have agencies tasked specifically with auditing and overseeing city governments with respect to fraud and abuse?
    Think about that for a second - you would want the government of the state of Louisiana to have stewardship over New Orleans?
    Not saying NO govt is good, but La is 50x worse

Think about that for a second - you would want the government of the state of Louisiana to have stewardship over New Orleans?
    Not saying NO govt is good, but La is 50x worse

At the end of the day the government isn’t any better than the voting population. I guess that’s how it is supposed to be.

There isn’t enough oversight of local governments though. Mayors steal, police abuse power, often small towns are pretty much under the control of the sheriffs office.

At the end of the day the government isn’t any better than the voting population. I guess that’s how it is supposed to be.

There isn’t enough oversight of local governments though. Mayors steal, police abuse power, often small towns are pretty much under the control of the sheriffs office.
    That I agree with

We need accountability for all elected officials. Serious accountability. What is stopping these politicians from being corrupt? Nothing, if they get caught, they spin it some way, do a year or two in a Fed resort and then get out and they are rich.
    Not a fan of the French...ever, but the Guillotine was a good idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom