Mayor Cantrell owes $95,000+ in back taxes - IRS puts liens on her house (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr. Sparkle

Reaction score
    Hello MAP board, I am breaking my "no politics posts" resolution to make my first contribution here. I thought about posting on EE on the home site but seems to be more political than anything else, so here we are.

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell owes more than $95,000 to the Internal Revenue Service for unpaid taxes over the course of six years, according to liens filed by the agency against her home in Broadmoor.
    The liens, first reported by WVUE-TV on Thursday, were all filed after Cantrell was elected mayor in 2018.
    They are on top of nearly $30,000 in liens that were revealed by The Lens during the 2017 mayoral election. Cantrell initially dismissed those as being due to a bank error and said she paid them off before voters went to the polls.

According to a 2018 financial disclosure form, Cantrell made about $138,400 as mayor and her husband made more than $100,000 as a defense attorney. Her 2019 financial disclosure form was not posted on the state Ethics Board's website on Thursday and it was not clear whether she had filed one.

She and her husband have around $240,000 in annual income, she has no transportation costs (Orleans Parish sheriffs drive her and City Council everywhere) and a city expense account. Yet these aren't old, unpaid taxes that are snowballing with penalties and interest - she and her husband apparently just don't pay their federal taxes. Meanwhile she shakes her finger at the voters over complaints of heavy-handed enforcement of city revenue grabs like speed cameras.

Our city is truly cursed. Every mayor of my adult lifetime has been a disaster of one stripe or another.

Last edited:
    We need accountability for all elected officials. Serious accountability. What is stopping these politicians from being corrupt? Nothing, if they get caught, they spin it some way, do a year or two in a Fed resort and then get out and they are rich.
    Not a fan of the French...ever, but the Guillotine was a good idea.

I don’t think cutting off people’s heads will make us pick better leaders.

Surely there is something more efficient than going through the process of electing and beheading every corrupt politician until we get a good one. How many election cycles would that take?

Tar and feather will be fine too. Bottom line, the penalty should be harsh enough and enforced often enough regardless of the letter after a name to keep elected officials in line. We deserve everything we get and no wonder the politicians thinks we are all idiots. We are.

As far as how many elections it would take if we executed/removed elected politicians and reelect new ones, I would put the under at 4.

Tar and feather will be fine too. Bottom line, the penalty should be harsh enough and enforced often enough regardless of the letter after a name to keep elected officials in line. We deserve everything we get and no wonder the politicians thinks we are all idiots. We are.

As far as how many elections it would take if we executed/removed elected politicians and reelect new ones, I would put the under at 4.

But what makes you think we would elect someone better?

If we can’t judge honesty, what makes us think we’d be able to judge competence?

Do we kill the incompetent ones too?

At some point we’d have to notice all the blood on our hands.

Not being corrupt is not that hard. Following the law is not that hard.

Not being corrupt is not that hard. Following the law is not that hard.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

That proverb has been around for eons for a reason. While you say its not that hard, until you are in a position of absolute power, with so many different angles to play, and wanting to remain in power, it will start to eat at your morality.

We are talking about a mayor of a declining city. Absolute power for what, kicking off Mardi Gras, Sewer and water board? That is like being the head cashier at Schwegmanns.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom