Long term changes from the pandemic?? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

GMRfellowtraveller

Reaction score
    do you anticipate any long term changes in this country?
    for the most part, i'm not sure we've responded to crisis moments very well - 9/11 did not have a lasting change (we're still fighting a war against people who did not attack us); Katrina? i still can't tell if the response to Katrina is a net positive; there have been a number of infrastructural disasters, but i don't think we've committed to overhauling failing infrastructure; we certainly learned precious few lessons from the banking collapse...
    so i don't really foresee us learning any sort of lesson here

HOWEVER, i do think there is any opportunity for significant changes
    Healthcare is the obvious one - no need to dig too deep on that one'
    Universal Basic Income - i think the upcoming month will show the benefit of UBI - 10,000s of families needing to scramble/adapt with out of school kids and the big hurt that's coming for the gig economy (and the fact that the bipartisan virus bill only covers about 20% of workers for sick leave) and the other 'law of unintended consequences' we're about to discover would be eased tremendously by a UBI
    IF we had a UBI, businesses could be a bit more flexible/redundant in their staffing practices - flexible 4 day work weeks would make it easier for families to adapt/respond to crises

i could forsee big accelerations to the work from home economy and LOTS more delivery services

thoughts?

My industry (Healthcare) wont be able to do a lot of telecommuting. I’m a front line supervisor, and theoretically could do some of my work from home, but the absolute last thing I need my team to see is their supervisor abandoning them in a crisis. So I will be going to the hospital every day, even though the word from above was to work from home. There has to be at least one supervisor present, anyway.

Another thing this crisis is showing is the obvious need for way more diversity of background/occupation among our lawmakers- at every level
    I think a major reason from the spasmodic response is that lawmakers have very little insight into the real world work life of so many constituents

My industry (Healthcare) wont be able to do a lot of telecommuting. I’m a front line supervisor, and theoretically could do some of my work from home, but the absolute last thing I need my team to see is their supervisor abandoning them in a crisis. So I will be going to the hospital every day, even though the word from above was to work from home. There has to be at least one supervisor present, anyway.

I can see how you think management needs to be on the grounds. I would probably have the same mindset if I were in your line of work.

Be safe and we all are pulling for you.

I certainly appreciate it.

I can see how you think management needs to be on the grounds. I would probably have the same mindset if I were in your line of work.

Be safe and we all are pulling for you.

I certainly appreciate it.
    I would imagine triage is pretty important now and about to get critical
    Care givers need to focus on giving care
    Someone needs to give an outside eye to manage resources
    I would think

Thinking of education again
    And the effect of education- we’re probably about to get some real world data about what is necessary instructional material and what s busy work - could be interesting info

My wife is an RN and they currently have a stage 4 cancer patient who is getting tested for COVID-19 because she came in feeling ill and she's running a fever. The hospital wasn't going to test her but my wife and all her fellow nurses threw a freaking fit. Good thing they did.

My wife is an RN and they currently have a stage 4 cancer patient who is getting tested for COVID-19 because she came in feeling ill and she's running a fever. The hospital wasn't going to test her but my wife and all her fellow nurses threw a freaking fit. Good thing they did.
    Why in the hell were they not going to test her? I mean, she's part of the most at risk group possible, so shouldn't she be a no-brainer for testing?

What the hell is wrong with people in charge in this country? Has stupidity become a requirement for getting a job with some subordinates?

So they just ordered the shut down all restaurants (dine in, carry out still ok) & bars in Salt Lake. Seems they will be doing so in most other cities in an effort to combat the spread of the virus.

Man, life's gonna be weird for the next few months.

So they just ordered the shut down all restaurants (dine in, carry out still ok) & bars in Salt Lake. Seems they will be doing so in most other cities in an effort to combat the spread of the virus.

Man, life's gonna be weird for the next few months.
    I was wondering when this was going to happen. Now we wait to see how long it takes before happening on a mass scale. Restaurants go under quickly if they aren't open and making money too. One of the most vulnerable businesses cash flow-wise, IMO. (Unless they can make it on take out only, which would be a tall feat.)

Last edited:
    Why in the hell were they not going to test her? I mean, she's part of the most at risk group possible, so shouldn't she be a no-brainer for testing?

I may be way off, although I was told this by someone who I trust to have accurate information, but because of the criteria for testing. To be tested, you have to meet 2 of 3:
    Symptoms.
    Traveled to/from covid-19 hots spots.
    Have come in contact with confirmed exposed individual.

I may be way off, as I was told this by someone who I trust to have accurate information, but because of the criteria for testing. To be tested, you have to meet 2 of 3:
    Symptoms.
    Traveled to/from covid-19 hots spots.
    Have come in contact with confirmed exposed individual.
    With the lack of testing available, how is #3 ever going to be verified until this thing's even more out of hand than it is now?

I was wondering when this was going to happen. Now we wait to see how long it takes before happening on a mass scale. Restaurants go under quickly if they aren't open and making money too. One of the most vulnerable businesses cash flow-wise, IMO. (Unless the can make it on take out only, which would be a tall feat.)

Yep and even increased demand for carry out puts those workers at an increased risk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom