Lisa Murkowski, done with Donald Trump, won’t rule out leaving GOP (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

LovesMusic7360

Reaction score
    Sen. Lisa Murkowski, aghast at Donald Trump’s candidacy and the direction of her party, won’t rule out bolting from the GOP.
    The veteran Alaska Republican, one of seven Republicans who voted to convict Trump in his second impeachment trial amid the aftermath of January 6, 2021, is done with the former president and said she “absolutely” would not vote for him.
    “I wish that as Republicans, we had … a nominee that I could get behind,” Murkowski told CNN. “I certainly can’t get behind Donald Trump.”
    The party’s shift toward Trump has caused Murkowski to consider her future within the GOP. In the interview, she would not say if she would remain a Republican.
    Asked if she would become an independent, Murkowski said: “Oh, I think I’m very independent minded.” And she added: “I just regret that our party is seemingly becoming a party of Donald Trump.”
    Pressed on if that meant she might become an independent, Murkowski said: “I am navigating my way through some very interesting political times. Let’s just leave it at that.”

Murkowski has been independent of republicans in the past. She ran as an Independent and won as a write in candidate in one of her past elections.

I'm not surprised she is done with trump. Millions of republicans are done with him.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, aghast at Donald Trump’s candidacy and the direction of her party, won’t rule out bolting from the GOP.
    The veteran Alaska Republican, one of seven Republicans who voted to convict Trump in his second impeachment trial amid the aftermath of January 6, 2021, is done with the former president and said she “absolutely” would not vote for him.
    “I wish that as Republicans, we had … a nominee that I could get behind,” Murkowski told CNN. “I certainly can’t get behind Donald Trump.”
    The party’s shift toward Trump has caused Murkowski to consider her future within the GOP. In the interview, she would not say if she would remain a Republican.
    Asked if she would become an independent, Murkowski said: “Oh, I think I’m very independent minded.” And she added: “I just regret that our party is seemingly becoming a party of Donald Trump.”
    Pressed on if that meant she might become an independent, Murkowski said: “I am navigating my way through some very interesting political times. Let’s just leave it at that.”

Murkowski has been independent of republicans in the past. She ran as an Independent and won as a write in candidate in one of her past elections.

I'm not surprised she is done with trump. Millions of republicans are done with him.
    I'll believe it when I see it. When it's her vote that brings a bill out of committee or quashes a filibuster, then I'll believe she's grown a pair.
    If she votes along R party lines, she's an R.

I thought the same thing during the last presidential election. I thought certainly, after 4 years of his garbage, people would have had enough. I was proven wrong, when million more voted for him compared to 2016

I thought the same thing during the last presidential election. I thought certainly, after 4 years of his garbage, people would have had enough. I was proven wrong, when million more voted for him compared to 2016
    Jan. 6 moved the needle as did the overturn of Roe. It’s different now.

True, but not enough for my liking

His 2024 candidacy should have been dead in the water (and I’ve said it before, I’ll always believe that a good portion of the GOP hoped that it would have been)

But it wasn’t

GOP politicians both in and running for office should have turned their backs and walked away

But most haven’t

The polls should show that they expect Biden to win in a landslide (or a bloodbath if you will)

But they don’t

I'll believe it when I see it. When it's her vote that brings a bill out of committee or quashes a filibuster, then I'll believe she's grown a pair.
    If she votes along R party lines, she's an R.

That's a very good point. At least she isn't voting for trump.

You might want to check out the following website. Watch some of the videos.

This website was started in 2020. The new videos keep increasing.

I want to think so, but I'm assuming nothing until the votes are counted. People don't change easily. They can talk all they want, but on a given November day, all assumptions are out the window until the votes are counted. It's different doesn't mean anything until the results show it.

And fwiw, what really matters are what states vote. You can increase Biden's support by 10s of millions in California and that wouldn't meaningfully change anything. Where it really matters are in those swing states, like Arizona, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania etc. If no headway is made there, the election could easily be closely contested.

Last edited:
    As for Murkowski, I'm not really surprised. She's never been a big fan of Trump to begin with. She's definitely a Republican, but she's her own person. So her comments aren't surprising to me.

I want to think so, but I'm assuming nothing until the votes are counted. People don't change easily. They can talk all they want, but on a given November day, all assumptions are out the window until the votes are counted. It's different doesn't mean anything until the results show it.

And fwiw, what really matters are what states vote. You can increase Biden's support by 10s of millions in California and that wouldn't meaningfully change anything. Where it really matters are in those swing states, like Arizona, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania etc. If no headway is made there, the election could easily be closely contested.

I can't speak for men but women are super ticked off at republicans.

The overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly brags he put 3 judges on the Supreme Court to overturn Roe V. Wade.
    Nor is that same overwhelming majority of women going to vote for an anti choice politician.

Really, it's just not going to happen.

I understand that men aren't as affected by that ruling as women so men aren't as super ticked off as women but this is a super important issue for women.

Women don't want to be forced to nearly die and permanently lose their fertility because their pregnancy went wrong. Women don't want to give birth to a rapist's child. Women are disgusted that 10 year old children have to go to a different state for an abortion so she won't die giving birth to a rapist's child.
    That is happening to a lot of women now in red states.

Women are super ticked off that repealing Roe V. Wade has caused most of the OBGYNs to leave their state. Women are super ticked off that maternity wards in red states have been closed because most the OB doctors have left the state. Women are super ticked off that now, being pregnant is putting their lives in serious danger.

Women are the majority voters in the USA.

The overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly brags he put 3 judges on the Supreme Court to overturn Roe V. Wade.
    Nor is that same overwhelming majority of women going to vote for an anti choice politician.

I understand that men aren't as affected by that ruling as women so men aren't as super ticked off as women but this is a super important issue for women.

Women don't want to be forced to nearly die and permanently lose their fertility because their pregnancy went wrong. Women don't want to give birth to a rapist's child. Women are disgusted that 10 year old children have to go to a different state for an abortion so she won't die giving birth to a rapist's child.

Women are super ticked off that repealing Roe V. Wade has caused most of the OBGYNs to leave their state. Women are super ticked off that maternity wards in red states have been closed because most the OB doctors have left the state. Women are super ticked off that now, being pregnant is putting their lives in serious danger.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but again, I ain't holding my breath. A lot can change between now and November.

Men who really care about women, individual rights and don't want to go back to the dark ages care as well, and I know they are out there, I can't be the only one.....That said, I think the rest of your post is spot on.....it's likely going to be the women's vote that save us from a wannabe tinpot dictator.....

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but again, I ain't holding my breath. A lot can change between now and November.

I understand. I've been telling men this but they don't believe me.

Look at the 2018 election. Women were extremely ticked off trump was elected. They even had mass rallies all over the nation and in Washington DC. Women got very organized. The result of that is the 2018 election. That huge blue tsunami was because of women.

In fact, all the losses trump and republicans have faced staring in 2018 have been because of women.

Women have not stopped organizing and working. Women have gotten even more ticked off to the point that they are seriously pissed off now. If you could see my email inbox you would see all the emails from all the organizations with all they are doing to make sure republicans don't get reelected.

Women aren't going through the normal public process. We know the mainstream won't pay attention to us. They never have and we know they never will. Women have been doing it among themselves. As in good old grassroots on the ground and in the homes of women. Women are organized and can't wait to come after the republicans.

If they are successful, it's not going to end well for the republicans. By the way, women have been successful thus far.

The conservative politicians and judges are too stupid to realize that they could be as anti choice as they wanted. Roe V. Wade prevented any of their nonsense from happening. They gave up their shield when Roe V. Wade was overturned.

White suburban women knew they were safe to vote for republican politicians so they could have their tax cuts and knew that they crazy anti choice propaganda the republican was spouting could never happen. Roe V. Wade prevented it. Those women just didn't see that it was possible to lose Roe V. Wade. Now, they those white suburban women are having to change the way they vote. For their own good. They don't want to die or lose their fertility. They don't want to have to give birth to a rapist's child. Or their own child be forced to give birth to a rapist's child.

I understand men don't see and know these things but if you did some research on women caused republicans to lose elections 2018, 2020, 2022 and 2023 you will find articles with men of both parties saying it was women who caused the outcome of the election.

My male friends said the same thing you posted. They don't say that anymore. They have seen the results of elections.

By the way, women have been out registering men in droves. In some places as much as 40% more than men.

Men who really care about women, individual rights and don't want to go back to the dark ages care as well, and I know they are out there, I can't be the only one.....That said, I think the rest of your post is spot on.....it's likely going to be the women's vote that save us from a wannabe tinpot dictator.....

Yes I agree. There are men out there who support body autonomy, freedom and the right to choose.

Men aren't the majority voters in America.

However if you add them to that overwhelming vast majority of women, republicans are in trouble.

Yes it has been women who have saved us from the crazy maga republicans and they probably will again in 2024.

I understand. I've been telling men this but they don't believe me.

Look at the 2018 election. Women were extremely ticked off trump was elected. They even had mass rallies all over the nation and in Washington DC. Women got very organized. The result of that is the 2018 election. That huge blue tsunami was because of women.

In fact, all the losses trump and republicans have faced staring in 2018 have been because of women.

Women have not stopped organizing and working. Women have gotten even more ticked off to the point that they are seriously pissed off now. If you could see my email inbox you would see all the emails from all the organizations with all they are doing to make sure republicans don't get reelected.

Women aren't going through the normal public process. We know the mainstream won't pay attention to us. They never have and we know they never will. Women have been doing it among themselves. As in good old grassroots on the ground and in the homes of women. Women are organized and can't wait to come after the republicans.

If they are successful, it's not going to end well for the republicans. By the way, women have been successful thus far.

The conservative politicians and judges are too stupid to realize that they could be as anti choice as they wanted. Roe V. Wade prevented any of their nonsense from happening. They gave up their shield when Roe V. Wade was overturned.

White suburban women knew they were safe to vote for republican politicians so they could have their tax cuts and knew that they crazy anti choice propaganda the republican was spouting could never happen. Roe V. Wade prevented it. Those women just didn't see that it was possible to lose Roe V. Wade. Now, they those white suburban women are having to change the way they vote. For their own good. They don't want to die or lose their fertility. They don't want to have to give birth to a rapist's child. Or their own child be forced to give birth to a rapist's child.

I understand men don't see and know these things but if you did some research on women caused republicans to lose elections 2018, 2020, 2022 and 2023 you will find articles with men of both parties saying it was women who caused the outcome of the election.

My male friends said the same thing you posted. They don't say that anymore. They have seen the results of elections.

By the way, women have been out registering men in droves. In some places as much as 40% more than men.

I believe it. But I'm not sold on this election until the results are clear. Take nothing for granted is all I'm saying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom