Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score

Attachments

• Twitter.png
      Twitter.png
      104.8 KB · Views: 226
    Yes, absolutely they are different in other cultures. I don't know about the label, "white" per se, but our attitudes towards time, completion of projects, defining "hard work" etc. are most definitely from the Calvinist tradition which took hold in the New England colonies well before the U.S. was founded.

Years ago I read a number of works by the cultural anthropologist Edward T. Hall who studied how different cultures view time and space. He coined the terms "proxemics", the study of the human use of space; "mono- and poly-chronic time", and low-context/high-context cultures. In the mid 1930's Hall spent a number of years living and working with the Hopi and Navajo Tribes, where he documented how tribal members would engage in multiple projects simultaneously, sometimes taking years to complete the construction of a house for example) an example of polychromic time). He contrasted that with the monochronic time of other cultures (including the dominant American culture), who thought in more linear terms of completing a project before moving on to the next.

Family units differ around the world. In fact, the nuclear family is only a very recent development. Living in extended families and family groups is not only more common today but was the dominant form historically.
    ha. i read an *** ton of Edward T Hall in grad school - haven't thought much about him since (except every now and then an old passage will just pop in my head)
    thanks for the memory jog

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom