Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score

Attachments

• Twitter.png
      Twitter.png
      104.8 KB · Views: 223
    Yeah, it's addition, not subtraction. Some people fear that it's subtraction by addition. I think it's mostly the people who have bought into the mistaken idea that the only relationship dynamic that exists between people is dominance and submission.

One of the inherently unhealthy aspects of unchecked capitalism is it promotes a world view of dominance and submission versus equality. A world view of competition versus cooperation.

That's why there's so much resistance to the efforts toward building a more inclusive society. Some white people see it as becoming submissive and dominated. Some see it as losing the competition for dominance, when it's actually an effort to cooperatively build a more equally inclusive society for all.

And that precisely is the problem

When everyone get a chance to prosper and contribute then society as a whole get richer.

So another example of the way Trump and/or his supporters practice “cancel culture”.

They were calling for a boycott of all Mark Cuban’s companies because he dragged Ted Cruz on Twitter.

“Cancel culture” gets dumber with each passing usage.

They were calling for a boycott of all Mark Cuban’s companies because he dragged Ted Cruz on Twitter.

“Cancel culture” gets dumber with each passing usage.
    Wait until NBA and NFL start up.

I don't get it?

It helps to realize that “cancel culture” takes a lot of forms. But it is just basically harassing someone because you disagree with something they said or an opinion they have. Trump and Barr and their minions tend to threaten people they don’t like with jail and/or extra punitive investigations. It’s been a pattern since forever. Not sure why you couldn’t see it. So, once the Lincoln Project drew blood, all of a sudden random smears pop up in compliant “media” and randos on Twitter start saying they should be investigated and/or put in jail. 🤦‍♀️

So, some white dude was at a BLM protest - a peaceful one - and he threatened to get his gun and shoot a woman and her black son. A 10-month old infant.

She wanted to find out who it was. And did. And they contacted his employer, a car dealership. And he was fired. Apparently he also had racist things on his social media pages and was alleged to be doing a heil hitler in a photo

Earlier the definition offered was getting someone fired.

Where does this example fit on the spectrum? I admit I have a hard time feeling much pity for this dude. I don’t know if it’s cancel culture or not. but if the claim thst cancel culture needs to be condemned, then does that mean defending this guy? Or is there an allowance for context?

Gotcha. I have never heard of the Lincoln project, so I had no idea what you were talking about. Thanks for clarifying.
    I don't know, I will have to look into it because I know zero the that group. But off the cuff, yeah, it sounds like cancel culture to me and to me, I am not fan of it but I see a difference, whether incorrectly or not, between corporate and business cancel culture and individual citizens getting canceled becasue of a opinion that is not popular right now in the media.

So, some white dude was at a BLM protest - a peaceful one - and he threatened to get his gun and shoot a woman and her black son. A 10-month old infant.

She wanted to find out who it was. And did. And they contacted his employer, a car dealership. And he was fired. Apparently he also had racist things on his social media pages and was alleged to be doing a heil hitler in a photo

Earlier the definition offered was getting someone fired.

Where does this example fit on the spectrum? I admit I have a hard time feeling much pity for this dude. I don’t know if it’s cancel culture or not. but if the claim thst cancel culture needs to be condemned, then does that mean defending this guy? Or is there an allowance for context?
    She should have pressed charges? Who is 'they'?
    I don't really care about a hand signal, too many times they get thrown around the media as racist or whatever and it was just someone scratching their arse. What were the racist things? The punishment varies. If it was black face, then he deserves the fire of God...unless he is a democratic governor or moral late night TV host. Was there any context to the picture?
    Well, if someone threatens to shoot a 10 month old, yeah, not a lot of pity for me either on this one.
    Also, why was he at the a rally? Just to check it out? Is he BLM and just got mad becasue the lady was blocking his view?
    Is there an article or link to this?
    So many questions.

What were the racist things? The punishment varies. If it was black face, then he deserves the fire of God...unless he is a democratic governor or moral late night TV host.

I think the request could have been made without this, for example. I also specified the “allegedly” in the heil hitler salute because I am in total agreement that it can be easily something else
    The most information I could find was from the coverage from a local radio host talking about the event and the results:

———————-

Brian Bedee has been fired from Charlie's Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram in Maumee where he worked as a sales person.

Bedee was at the BLM Protest in Bedford yesterday.
    He allegedly told a woman
    “I’ll pull this gun out and shoot you and your black son”
    He was also allegedly heard calling a black camera person “boy” and while looking out at the protestors “it looks like the planet of the apes”

Here he is at a BLM protest in Lambertville as he appears to hold up a Nazi salute.

Z NOTE:
    You have the right to be a racist....
    I guess...
    In the privacy of your own home.
    But when you decide to flaunt that racism in public you are a accepting the consequences that follow.
    Especially if you are on the front line.
    Kudos to Charlie’s dodge on their swift action.

As my great great great great grandfather once said:
    Thow playith thy stupid games....
    Thy winnith the stupid prizes attached!

CHARLIE’S DODGE STATEMENT:
    Charlie’s Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram has reviewed a post placed on social media by an individual who was affiliated with the dealership. Although everyone in this country has a right to free speech, the line is crossed when the speech exhibits racial animus or otherwise evidences racially hostility. Charlie’s supports the constitutional rights of every citizen. However, when speech crosses the line, constitutional protections no longer apply. Charlie’s has immediately addressed and rectified the situation. Charlie’s remains ready, willing and able, as it has since 1977, to meet the needs of all citizens in equal fashion and without regard to race or ethnicity.

F6D9FC9E-5667-4ED8-91C9-0ED9DB2FC7B5.jpeg

——————-

And the social media post in question:

BE04FBF8-D9F0-4EDE-8135-9ED85DA99D7E.jpeg

And here’s another example I just came across:

I don’t know exactly how she has been cancelled. She’s still a sitting senator. I assume she is making a reference to the WNBA players’ objections to her statements re: BLM. But she isn’t being forced to sell her stake in the team. And WNBA management has also indicated this.

So it only compounds my difficulty with the phrase and the definition. Without clarity, it is useless.

and Kruse’s response captures part of my struggle with its meaning as well

Maybe she feels cancelled because some of the players have disagreed sharply with her stance. It’s almost like she expects them to shut up and dribble. Heh.

Maybe she feels cancelled because some of the players have disagreed sharply with her stance. It’s almost like she expects them to shut up and dribble. Heh.

That’s what I’m guessing. She’s been publicly rebuked by her ‘employees’ and that’s somehow cancelling? Again, I realize that is speculation because she hasn’t something specifically that I’ve found.

if that is the case, then cancel culture doesn’t seem to apply because I don’t see ‘cancelling.’ But it does reinforce my contention that the definition, for many, isnt the point. Rather it’s the victimization that can be subsumed under the label.The slippery ambiguity allows for that. And now she is the victim

I am not sure on the first one.
    The second one, I don't care about becasue it is a politicians. They are suppose to be canceled when their time is up in public office by definition.

But, lets talk about the 1st one.
    I honestly can't find racism in the dudes post. I don't think you can make the case that BLM is only a black movement now, so chances are, most of your BLM crowd will be young white kids, at least as much as I have seen. You can maybe 'feel' a racist under current to be perfectly honest, but I am not a believer in people getting people fired for maybe feeling a certain way.

He calls the protesters children. From what I have seen, the protesters have acted like children on numerous occasions, especially in the statue fiasco. If you act like a spoiled brat in public and someone calls you a child, does that imply racism? I don't think so.

Now, threatening to shoot someone and a child? You had me at threatening.

Getting fired for saying stupid racist stuff isn’t cancel culture.

getting fired for saying stupid racist stuff is good business. As a business owner you can’t let opinions like that be tied to your business. It will ruin you. The free market has decided.

Besides, that guy is a old racist and I hope he dies penniless on the street. He got exactly what he deserved.

Gotcha. I have never heard of the Lincoln project, so I had no idea what you were talking about. Thanks for clarifying.
    I don't know, I will have to look into it because I know zero the that group. But off the cuff, yeah, it sounds like cancel culture to me and to me, I am not fan of it but I see a difference, whether incorrectly or not, between corporate and business cancel culture and individual citizens getting canceled becasue of a opinion that is not popular right now in the media.

So they are threatening the individuals who make up the Lincoln Project. Because they oppose Trump.

Hey if you are truly a conservative and just not a trump follower you should go to the Lincoln project YouTube page. Very educational and the Lincoln project is funded by conservative people that realize that what the republican party has become if the furthest thing from conservative.

It was founded by several republican strategists

Here is my favorite new one.
    John Lewis was truly great man.

This one is great.

Every day they have new ones. Oh and most of the support they get is from small donors. 96 percent of the donations they get are less than two hundred bucks.

Work ethic? Family units? Time management? Are these different in other cultures enough to be labeled 'white'?

Yes, absolutely they are different in other cultures. I don't know about the label, "white" per se, but our attitudes towards time, completion of projects, defining "hard work" etc. are most definitely from the Calvinist tradition which took hold in the New England colonies well before the U.S. was founded.

Years ago I read a number of works by the cultural anthropologist Edward T. Hall who studied how different cultures view time and space. He coined the terms "proxemics", the study of the human use of space; "mono- and poly-chronic time", and low-context/high-context cultures. In the mid 1930's Hall spent a number of years living and working with the Hopi and Navajo Tribes, where he documented how tribal members would engage in multiple projects simultaneously, sometimes taking years to complete the construction of a house for example) an example of polychromic time). He contrasted that with the monochronic time of other cultures (including the dominant American culture), who thought in more linear terms of completing a project before moving on to the next.

Family units differ around the world. In fact, the nuclear family is only a very recent development. Living in extended families and family groups is not only more common today but was the dominant form historically.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom