Impeachment Round Two (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Yggdrasill

Reaction score
    I am in the camp that Trump must -not should- be impeached. If not this President, for this behavior, then what bar would have to be cleared to merit impeachment?

Impeachment not only sends a signal to the country and the world that fomenting a coup is unacceptable and will be punished, but it also removes much of the threat Trump could pose going forward as, I understand it, he would lose his pension, his access to daily security briefings, free medical care and other amenities and benefits afforded to former Presidents. If impeached, he would not meet the definition of a Former President under the Former Presidents Act. I don't think it is clear whether he would continue to receive Secret Service protection.

As far as whether we should have an election commission to study the 2020 election for possible fraud. I would be fine with it on one condition. If they do the commission and find that there was no widespread fraud, every Congressman, Senator or other highly elected official who called the election into doubt must immediately resign and pay a $50,000 fine.

Make them put their money where their mouth is.

I'm in.

As far as whether we should have an election commission to study the 2020 election for possible fraud. I would be fine with it on one condition. If they do the commission and find that there was no widespread fraud, every Congressman, Senator or other highly elected official who called the election into doubt must immediately resign and pay a $50,000 fine.

Make them put their money where their mouth is.

You gotta be specific though, make it based on finding widespread fraud to get Biden elected. Because call me crazy, I'm not entirely sure that trump mustered up 73,000,000 votes with "Trump 2020 - Mo MAGA, Mo Problems" as his 2020 platform...I think there was some definite voter fraud on that side that would be found by an election commission. And they'd use that technicality to weasel out of their end of the bargain

The double standard comments and both sides justifications are ridiculous. We're comparing rabble rousers with the leader of the country? You'd think there's a higher standard for the President than some crazy arse on the streets, right? Smh.

I saw that GOP representatives are saying they are getting death threats and they want to impeach but won’t out of fear.

How many times do you suppose AOC or Nancy Pelosi or even Hillary Clinton has received death threats? Adam Schiff? Chuck Schumer?

If you don’t vote your conscience because of death threats, then this job isn’t for you. They should just resign and go home. Get out of the kitchen, so to speak.
    I'm not sure any of them said that. This is coming from a Democrat (I forget who) who was interviewed telling a story. It was posted in here somewhere.

He can. A blanket pardon has been done before.

ETA: Carter issued a blanket pardon his first day in office to draft dodgers.

In reading Carter's proclamation, he essentially suspended the draft between X dates, pardoning anyone convicted under the statute during that time.

So Trump would have to suspend several laws, like..tons of them, in order to issue blanket pardons for everyone in the Capitol building on the 6th.

I suppose he could word it as "Anyone convicted of anything except..." Or he could leave out the 'except' and let murderers go free.

Which, I suppose, is yet another reason to impeach him immediately. How f'd up would it be for the instigator of a coup d'etat to be able to pardon his co-conspirators in the event the coup failed? (As this one did)

"Look fellas, let's all agree to kidnap and/or kill as many Democrats as we can get our hands on. If we succeed, great. I'm President for life and you guys are heroes. If it doesn't work, I'll pardon all of you 'cause why not? I'm still President for another couple weeks and maybe we can try again."

Interesting, seven Rs voting to impeach so far.

8 republicans now, yet 181 have voted no. I mean... maybe if a few of them had been murdered during the insurrection some others would have changed their minds and vote yes. I really have no idea what it would actually take to make them vote against trump

8 republicans now, yet 181 have voted no. I mean... maybe if a few of them had been murdered during the insurrection some others would have changed their minds and vote yes. I really have no idea what it would actually take to make them vote against trump

Ten now.

They will need more than that to convict in the Senate, but the Senate is a different animal. If McConnell supports a conviction, they might be able to pull it off. I think they need something like 15-20 Rs to convict.

In fairness, it’s like a Grand Jury for a mob boss being composed of his Capos.

In fairness, it’s like a Grand Jury for a mob boss being composed of his Capos.

Thats a great way of putting it lol
    Ten now.

They will need more than that to convict in the Senate, but the Senate is a different animal. If McConnell supports a conviction, they might be able to pull it off. I think they need something like 15-20 Rs to convict.

I think maybe if Lindsey Graham was aboard, but he is already making calls running to convince his fellow cohorts not to support it

What is the best case for the inciting an insurrection? I know Trump said go protest peacefully, but then followed that with that we have to fight like hell and have to be strong. I know he has incessantly lied about the election and that it was stolen, which is provocative. One can say that he stoked anger during the rally, and others at the rally called for trial by war, so the crowd was already foaming at the mouth, and one can infer that it was obvious that he lit the fire, and should have known that the fire could burn down the Capital. So what's the most lucid arguments to convict Trump?

Senate could always work out an agreement to censure him and limit the ability to run for office. Don't be shocked if they cut a deal.

I think we can safely ignore his one statement about peaceful protest, and pay attention to all his other statements that were telling them they have to fight hard, be strong, they will lose their country if they don’t overturn the certification. I mean I know why Rs wanted to focus on that one statement, but you just can’t speak the language of a battle for months and then add one statement and use it as a get out of jail free card.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom