If Trump loses, what does Biden do differently re: coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

brandon

Reaction score
    Let’s say Trump loses in November, and we’re deep in it. Nearing upon 200,000 or more deaths. New cases still on the rise. No vaccine. Second wave clearly on the way.

Will Biden try to return to lockdown? What will that look like against the Republican governors who have said there would be no return to lockdown? I mean, if it’s blatantly obvious we need it, but the states won’t do it...what does Biden do?

This is what he has online.

The American people deserve an urgent, robust, and professional response to the growing public health and economic crisis caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. That is why Joe Biden is outlining a plan to mount:

• A decisive public health response that ensures the wide availability of free testing; the elimination of all cost barriers to preventive care and treatment for COVID-19; the development of a vaccine; and the full deployment and operation of necessary supplies, personnel, and facilities.
    • A decisive economic response that starts with emergency paid leave for all those affected by the outbreak and gives all necessary help to workers, families, and small businesses that are hit hard by this crisis. Make no mistake: this will require an immediate set of ambitious and progressive economic measures, and further decisive action to address the larger macro-economic shock from this outbreak.

It really is a lot of stuff if you read it all. I didn't want to copy it all, even though I guess it isn't copyright.

Establish and fund a U.S. Public Health Service Reserve Corps to activate former Public Health Service Commissioned Corps officers to expand medical and public health capacity.
    By creating the Reserve Corps, we will have a larger team of health professionals to deploy across the nation to help train health care systems in detection and response, educate the public, provide direct patient care as needed, and support the public health infrastructure in communities that are often under-resourced and struggling.

This is what they did here and the response was overwhelmingly positive. Almost 85% of all doctors and nurses under the age of 75 responded and signed up and most of those who didn't was due to health issues and even some of those signed up to man the phones at the Covid-19 hotline to ensure that people got an evaluation by an experienced medical professional.

They also enlisted medical , nursing and chemistry students to aid with the hands on testing all over the country.

Even though the pandemic is fairly under control now - mainly due to extensive testing, they are working at making this a permant "reserve" even when one day, this is over, which can then be activated on short notice if needed again. That includes a yearly seminar and refresher course for every member.

I think the mere fact that the public can begin to get information that can be trusted and not have conspiracy theories fed to them will be a plus. I also think that the extra money that can be put toward fighting the virus rather than building a stupid &*%#$ wall and the resources put that task can be redirected to help in any shape or form. I think just the notion that the government can begin to be run competently again without the unmitigated corruption that it is full of now with the trump administration will go a long way toward helping people feel good about what is being done. Finally, I think that Biden will ask for accept help from foreign countries to help fight the battle.

The whole shame of all of this is that America is being pitied on the world stage. America is being laughed at. People that we used to feel sorry for now look at the US and feel sorry for us. Trump being removed from office will immediately help our standing on the world stage in every aspect including fighting COVID 19.

Hopefully he will let public health experts and doctors lead the way, by hiring and training contact tracers, increasing testing, and encouraging further research into actual treatments that have evidence of working. He will make sure that we obtain adequate PPE and vents, and distribute them to places that have urgent need.

What Trump did was pretty much just the opposite of a good federal response.

Yes it will certainly be a different response.

He will not be afraid to lead. He will not get in the way of the professionals doing their jobs.

It certainly won't be line your buddies pockets with staggering price gouging of needed supplies. Those will certainly be purchased by your uncle to set the price.

The disinformation campaign will be over.

He will get better media coverage.
    He will get the same or less media coverage because there won't be the spectacle of incredible incompetence or blatant corruption on display daily. The media covers what trump does. Trump demonstrates incompetence, 4-year old comprehension and teenage girl-like pettiness. The cameras simply don't lie unlike trump.

He will get better media coverage.
    Biden will bring back the unicorns, too.
    Is this really all you have to add to this discussion? [mod edit - rude and unnecessary] ... you could make an effort to demonstrate how you think Biden will be worst different than trump has the last 3 years rather than making sophomoric drive by one-liners.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Let’s say Trump loses in November, and we’re deep in it. Nearing upon 200,000 or more deaths. New cases still on the rise. No vaccine. Second wave clearly on the way.

Will Biden try to return to lockdown? What will that look like against the Republican governors who have said there would be no return to lockdown? I mean, if it’s blatantly obvious we need it, but the states won’t do it...what does Biden do?

I hate to say it, but we'll be well over 200k, probably over 300k deaths by the time Biden takes office next year if he wins. It's hard to say what would be done different. States are generally ignoring the guidance the CDC has put out already. So a toothless CDC will still be toothless when Biden is in office. I just don't see things changing all that much until the governors and individual states take responsibility for the mistakes they've made. And they've made many.

I'm no fan of Trump, but the American Covid-19 response has been consistently inconsistent from state to state. Since we live in a republic, until the states all put their heads together and agree on a plan of action, we're doing to get this disjointed strategy of trying to fight a disease that doesn't care about borders.

Since we live in a republic, until the states all put their heads together and agree on a plan of action, we're doing to get this disjointed strategy of trying to fight a disease that doesn't care about borders.
    But this is precisely what a competent president running an competent government response would have done from the start. The reason for the inconsistency has been that there has been 0 federal guidelines. States have been reduced to trying to do things that have been traditionally done from a federal level, like requiring meat processing facilities to follow federal guidelines rather than follow them if they choose to.

But this is precisely what a competent president running an competent government response would have done from the start. The reason for the inconsistency has been that there has been 0 federal guidelines. States have been reduced to trying to do things that have been traditionally done from a federal level, like requiring meat processing facilities to follow federal guidelines rather than follow them if they choose to.

There have been federal guidelines. Unless you happen to think the CDC isn't a federal agency.

The CDC has released a number of guidelines regarding the phases of reopenong process. And it's actually fairly comprehensive. The states aren't necessarily following them because they're unenforceable by the federal government. Again, we're a republic. Federal powers are limited in their ability to tell the states what to do.

There have been federal guidelines. Unless you happen to think the CDC isn't a federal agency.

The CDC has released a number of guidelines regarding the phases of reopenong process. And it's actually fairly comprehensive. The states aren't necessarily following them because they're unenforceable by the federal government. Again, we're a republic. Federal powers are limited in their ability to tell the states what to do.
    No. I understand that the CDC is a federal agency just like the DOJ. Both are led by people put in place by DJT.

No. I understand that the CDC is a federal agency just like the DOJ. Both are led by people put in place by DJT.

So what? The CDC put out guidelines. You can imagine they didn't but that wouldn't be true.

And fwiw, I assume you know the CDC has listed guidelines. They were talked about extensively on the EE Covid thread. If you haven't seen them, I suggest you take a look.

So what? The CDC put out guidelines. You can imagine they didn't but that wouldn't be true.

And fwiw, I assume you know the CDC has listed guidelines. They were talked about extensively on the EE Covid thread. If you haven't seen them, I suggest you take a look.
    Why are you approaching me like this dude? I understand that CDC is a federal agency. I understand that CDC released guidelines. Yes, I know that when I said there were 0 federal guidelines, I probably should have been more specific to what I meant exactly. That's on me. I didn't think when addressing my comments to you that I would have to be that specific.

The CDC has been undercut by everything that Trump has been saying and doing. The federal government is letting meat packing and processing plants do pretty much whatever the hell they want to with respect to regulation guidelines for COVID 19. It's one of the reasons that those plants have seen the outbreaks that they have. IMO, the reason that the CDC hasn't been more out front is because of trump. I mentioned the DOJ as a comparison and example because it too is a federal agency that is being negatively impacted due to leadership by a trump appointee and flunky.

Since we live in a republic, until the states all put their heads together and agree on a plan of action, we're doing to get this disjointed strategy of trying to fight a disease that doesn't care about borders.
    I responded to this portion of your post because IMO, it described exactly the role that a competently led and run federal government would be taking the lead on including the CDC, FDA and other federal agencies to take every possible safeguard to protect the public.

You stated that "until the states all put their heads together and agree on a plan of action, we're doing to get this disjointed strategy of trying to fight a disease". I contend that the need for states to do that would have been abated by a competent federal government doing exactly that INSTEAD of the states having multiple disjointed plans BECAUSE the disease doesn't care about borders.

I'll make sure to not make that mistake in the future when responding to you.

I think what he's getting at is that Biden will put people in charge of these agencies who aren't sycophants who are allowing Trump to steam roll them by dong things like shutting down testing in states where this thing is really getting out of control. Trump doesn't listen to his own CDC's guidelines so why should his base? Biden does and could do a lot more on the federal level that Trump doesn't want to do because it'll hurt him politically because it'll expose how bad he screwed the pooch from the beginning by having to backtrack on everything he keeps repeating.

From Trump's CDC:

This is what I believe @Saintamaniac is also getting at with what Biden would have done differently. No way should our main infectious disease authority be guessing at things like this at this stage of the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom