I had high hopes for this site... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
    Not open for further replies.

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score
    ... maybe it's too soon, I don't know. Maybe the conversation is better in the silos, but I doubt it.

I think I may just keep to bashing religion in the Everything Else board.

It's the same 15-20 anti-Trump members from SR.com spewing the same CNN talking points in every thread. Literally nothing has changed other than the web address. I appreciate the attempt by Andrus to make things better, but nothing has changed. Could have just called this the I-Hate-Trump forum and it would have been more realistic. The bully/mob mentality of the 15-20 is why there are few Conservatives posting on this forum. I read purely out of comedic entertainment.

It's the same 15-20 anti-Trump members from SR.com spewing the same CNN talking points in every thread. Literally nothing has changed other than the web address. I appreciate the attempt by Andrus to make things better, but nothing has changed. Could have just called this the I-Hate-Trump forum and it would have been more realistic. The bully/mob mentality of the 15-20 is why there are few Conservatives posting on this forum. I read purely out of comedic entertainment.

So the walled garden wasn’t enough, now you need there to be less liberals around in general in order to feel safe in this space?

It’s funny, when I joined the other boards political discussions some five-ten years ago, the ratio of conservatives to liberals was basically 5 to 1, maybe double that.

You know what else? I didn’t spend my time whining about it. Instead, I made sure my arguments were as strong as I could make them and had a willingness to argue them through. I would get 3-5 absolutely ridiculous hyper-partisan troll responses for every one of mine, a couple outright personal attacks, but if you have your facts and logic in order, the trolls just get frustrated and what is left is the people willing to actually engage. Then over time you make the stronger arguments and, well, frankly, and unfortunately, instead of just adjusting their opinions lots of conservatives on the internet have turned to this sort of showmanship. Where instead of arguing in good faith. they just try and work the refs everywhere they go and troll twice as hard. Until you get tigerdroppings, which, unfortunately, basically reflects conservative dominant boards these days.

But you would think that if the so called talking points are such nonsense, which I keep hearing, someone like yourself could easily refute them in the capacity people did to the sort of non-sensical talking points ten years ago when conservatives ran the political board? When conservatives used to still love to argue that Iraq had WMD’s, that torture was good, tax cuts increase revenue, Bush was a great president, Obama was a secret radical Christian Muslim born in Kenya, gay marriage is immoral and will destroy American families, climate change is fake, and Obamacare’s totally real death panels will kill Grandma.

But I do fear that the ultimate problem here, and it seems to be expressed by every conservative response so far, is this is a community rooting itself in intellectual debate, but what they want to do is just talk shirt and drop hot takes without feeling obligated to ever defend that position to others. While most of the more left leaning posters embrace and welcome that. And it seems like we are getting pretty close to inferring an environment that emphasizes facts and reasoned debate as liberally biased.

Last edited:
    CNN talking points?

I dont have cable, so I cant spew any talking points. Most likely don't, since CNN is often dumbed down. Might surprise you, but some folks just make up their own mind.

It’s funny, when I joined the other boards political discussions some five-ten years ago, the ratio of conservatives to liberals was basically 5 to 1, maybe double that.

So you are saying the PDB was not normal as compared to the majority of other internet boards? Some of us knew that all along.

So the walled garden wasn’t enough, now you need there to be less liberals around in general in order to feel safe in this space?

You know what else? I didn’t spend my time whining about it. Instead, I made sure my arguments were as strong as I could make them and had a willingness to argue them through. I would get 3-5 absolutely ridiculous hyper-partisan troll responses for every one of mine, a couple outright personal attacks, but if you have your facts and logic in order, the trolls just get frustrated and what is left is the people willing to actually engage. Then over time you make the stronger arguments and, well, frankly, and unfortunately, instead of just adjusting their opinions lots of conservatives on the internet have turned to this sort of showmanship. Where instead of arguing in good faith. they just try and work the refs everywhere they go and troll twice as hard. Until you get tigerdroppings, which, unfortunately, basically reflects conservative dominant boards these days.

But you would think that if the so called talking points are such nonsense, which I keep hearing, someone like yourself could easily refute them in the capacity people did to the sort of non-sensical talking points ten years ago when conservatives ran the political board? When conservatives used to still love to argue that Iraq had WMD’s, that torture was good, tax cuts increase revenue, Bush was a great president, Obama was a secret radical Christian Muslim born in Kenya, gay marriage is immoral and will destroy American families, climate change is fake, and Obamacare’s totally real death panels will kill Grandma.

But I do fear that the ultimate problem here, and it seems to be expressed by every conservative response so far, is this is a community rooting itself in intellectual debate, but what they want to do is just talk shirt and drop hot takes without feeling obligated to ever defend that position to others. While most of the more left leaning posters embrace and welcome that. And it seems like we are getting pretty close to inferring an environment that emphasizes facts and reasoned debate as liberally biased.

Good for you.

I link post to CNN articles and highlight parts of different CNN article from time to time. In all the years I've posted from them, I can't ever remember one person arguing the facts presented in the articles or even complaining about the bias of the article. I've never seen anybody, that I can remember, contradict the articles either. I wonder why that is?

Now, I've seen a ton of just general complaining about CNN and their bias and fake news. As if it's just to be taken as a given. Most of that started with Trump and his hating on them though.

Conservatives shouldn’t feel like they have to respond to every person who engages.

Say what you think and if 12 people reply to say you’re wrong pick one or two of the replies that you feel are the most likely to be worth engaging and have your discussion with those people.

I link post to CNN articles and highlight parts of different CNN article from time to time. In all the years I've posted from them, I can't ever remember one person arguing the facts presented in the articles or even complaining about the bias of the article. I've never seen anybody, that I can remember, contradict the articles either. I wonder why that is?

Now, I've seen a ton of just general complaining about CNN and their bias and fake news. As if it's just to be taken as a given. Most of that started with Trump and his hating on them though.

Yea, CNN’s main problem is they are calling it nachos supreme, when it’s really just plain nachos.

You did all that posting of CNN on the PDB?

Being as there has been zero promotion of this site as of yet, and it is primarily populated with members coming over for SR, even Captain Obvious would tell you that its the same members participating here. However, once we do start promoting it I would expect that a large number of the new members would be Anti-Trump and very little will change regarding the Anti-Trump contingent participating with what might be perceived as a mob mentality towards his supporters, who in turn will behave in kind against Trump's detractors. All that I really care about on this specific board is that they discuss and debate Trump, and not attack one another in the process.

So, I am curious as to what you were expecting here? Obviously there are a lot more conservatives participating on this site than there were on the PDB. The Conservative board is the most active here thus far other than the MCB, and I see a lot of conservative participation on the MCB. So that has certainly changed. If you were thinking that I was going to pick a side and promote that side over the other, then of course I would expect that you would be disappointed. But stating that nothing has changed?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom