I had high hopes for this site... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
    Not open for further replies.

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score
    ... maybe it's too soon, I don't know. Maybe the conversation is better in the silos, but I doubt it.

I think I may just keep to bashing religion in the Everything Else board.

Again... Some of you guys have some kind of fascination or fisxture on how people are suppossed to be posting around here and what is protocol. What you see as a drive by or troll posting may actually be just a simple communication of facts in the simplest form.

It's not about some 'strict' adherance to protocol or how you're 'supposed to post'. It's about common sense. Something we seem to be getting further and further away from in this country.

Common sense says when you respond to someone's thread, it isn't a post not addressing the post at all and then incessantly complaining about the board's perceived slant.

Common sense says when you make a statement as if it were an objective truth, you actually back that statement up with a source that isn't 'thetruthaboutliberalsexposed.net' and aren't aggravated and return to the previous bullet point like clockwork.

Common sense says if you want to be taken seriously anywhere, you have to establish a track record of being reasonable in discussion, meaning an observable, honest openness to being wrong and admitting where and when you were wrong.

Are these unreasonable requests? Let's both agree that they are not and they have NOTHING to do with political party, but being a common sense human being.

Not everyone went to college, Not everyone is a liberal, not everyone lives in S. Louisiana, not everyone sits at a computer all day for a job, Not everyone is the same age... or in today's worlds... May not even be one of the two genders..

So therefore everyone's posting style may not be the same either. So to set some kind of rules as to: "This is how you are supposed to post, debate, or participate IMHO is hogwash as Greta Thurnbergs Parents true goals.

Great. I acknowledge that not everyone is the same as would most anyone on this board. But you act like posting style is akin through jumping through some flaming hoop with in a flammable tutu. It is not. I'm not going to ask a poster 100x politely to source a fact like a grown up, to stay around for discussion and not only pop in whenever there is a mudslinging opportunity, etc.

It's like anywhere else you go...certain places, you have to act in a way that is respectful to that place. It isn't that big of an undertaking, IMHO.

Also, what is it about Greta Thunberg that seems to annoy you and why is that relevant in this thread?

Well so far I am liking it... It's nice to have a conservative voice around here and have them be able to speak up without the fear of repercussions.

As to this. I've noticed, as have many others, that many (not all, but many) conservatives and particularly Trump supporters that post here have a track record of drive by postings, a lack of civil engagement and intelligent back and forth discussion protocol, as well as a visible aggravation to fact checking their statements.

Again... Some of you guys have some kind of fascination or fisxture on how people are suppossed to be posting around here and what is protocol. What you see as a drive by or troll posting may actually be just a simple communication of facts in the simplest form.

Not everyone went to college, Not everyone is a liberal, not everyone lives in S. Louisiana, not everyone sits at a computer all day for a job, Not everyone is the same age... or in today's worlds... May not even be one of the two genders..

So therefore everyone's posting style may not be the same either. So to set some kind of rules as to: "This is how you are supposed to post, debate, or participate IMHO is hogwash as Greta Thurnbergs Parents true goals.

The problem with this is that the rules have already been set, including this paragraph:

"We want the Community Discussion Board to be free of troll posts, thread-jacking, inflammatory drive-by posts, utterly stupid commentary, belittling, personal attacks, insulting behavior, or any behavior that incites malicious partisan bickering. This includes posting links to extreme views without explaining your own position (Naked Links), which otherwise is considered baiting. It also included the posting of meme's and GIFS that are intented to insult or antagonize members that do not share your partisan beliefs."

If someone's posting style does not fit within the guidelines provided by the staff, they should either work to modify their posting style when they are here or find a place that accommodates their style. I would hope everyone chooses the former and not the latter.

so, this is almost a good post, Joe. So close, but then you bring up Greta’s parents for some reason? And intimate they have some sort of ulterior motive, I’m guessing? This is the kind of junk that is objectionable on many different levels, at least to people who want to have civil fact-based conversations. It should be beneath the level of what we find acceptable for this board.

Good Point MT15.. It is... Are we not allowed to have fun? Are we not allowed to have an opinion? Are we supposed to post a certain way?

These message boards have but one purpose.. Entertainment... They are not for spreading messages or political views, Recruiting for your political party, reporting the facts, spreading the word.

This is all strictly for Entertainment. My mention of Greta's parents was Humor coming from my personal opinion on current events as pertaining to the subject.

Usually a post can't go by here on any negative subject without someone Mentioning or blaming Trump... so is that out too? Let's do it both ways.

Last edited:
    Well so far I am liking it... It's nice to have a conservative voice around here and have them be able to speak up without the fear of repercussions.

As to this. I've noticed, as have many others, that many (not all, but many) conservatives and particularly Trump supporters that post here have a track record of drive by postings, a lack of civil engagement and intelligent back and forth discussion protocol, as well as a visible aggravation to fact checking their statements.

Good Point MT15.. It is... Are we not allowed to have fun? Are we not allowed to have an opinion? Are we supposed to post a certain way?

These message boards have but one purpose.. Entertainment... They are not for spreading messages or political views, Recruiting for your political party, reporting the facts, spreading the word.

This is all strictly for Entertainment. My mention of Greta's parents was Humor coming from my personal opinion on current events.

I feel like I post this a lot, but:

Moderated common discussion board where all members are welcome to debate, This board is for intelligent debate. Passionate debate is ok, however, there are behavioral rules. Uncivil behavior and personal attacks are not tolerated. If you cannot carry on a meaningful discussion then we suggest using The Mud Pit discussion board where the rules are relaxed

Continued in the larger board-specific policy page:

At the same time, the expectation remains in place that by participating here, you are agreeing to actually discuss your opinions - not just drop talkingpoints, one-liners, take shots at the 'other side' or other members here, and move on.

From my understanding the intent, at least as it was articulated, was to enforce this particular board in a way where accountability to facts and intellectual participation would be required. So far, I think that has not manifested itself ideally writ large(though some great discussions, posts are made) and ultimately you may be right in that it won't matter if someone wants to just assert whatever without being asked to provide evidence for it. However, in the current language of the board, which is the only evidentiary resource we have unless Andrus articulates a different set of standards, just dropping unsubstantiated claims, taking partisan hot shots(even in the name of humor), or dropping hot takes and refusing to put effort into your participation with others is seemingly not acceptable practices.

If you feel that is the only way you are capable of participating, the walled gardens and Mud Pit seem to be the solution the site architects have offered.

And I think the frustration the OP, and certainly I feel, is that these policies are not being adhered to and it has subsequently mired the quality of life and quality of the content of this board below where it could and should be.

Well, it wasn’t clearly humor to me, Joe, so point taken.

This is all strictly for Entertainment. My mention of Greta's parents was Humor coming from my personal opinion on current events as pertaining to the subject.

Usually a post can't go by here on any negative subject without someone Mentioning or blaming Trump... so is that out too? Let's do it both ways.

When I posted the relevant section of the guidelines for your perusal earlier, you may have noticed that thread jacking is against the rules. Thread jacking is defined in the site guidelines as "[d]erailing a good discussion by taking the topic in another direction, or to otherwise disrupt normal on-topic discussion."

Bringing up Greta Thunberg is taking this topic in a different direction.

There ya go Boys and Girls... Any mention of Greta has been removed by me... Cause I definitely don't want to thread jack such a wonderful thread.

Please carry on with the discussion...

This thread in its conception is essentially undermining the moderation here so I don't expect it to survive the day.

I think this thread so far is okay. It hasn’t really undermined moderation at this point. Of course, another mod might have a different opinion, or the thread could take a turn....

I think this thread so far is okay. It hasn’t really undermined moderation at this point. Of course, another mod might have a different opinion, or the thread could take a turn....
    The contents do not undermine but the underlying concept certainly does.

However, it does serve a valid purpose in illustrating how there are no "facts" here, only opinions.

The complaints are illuminating to say the least.

The contents do not undermine but the underlying concept certainly does.

However, it does serve a valid purpose in illustrating how there are no "facts" here, only opinions.

The complaints are illuminating to say the least.
    The concept of community feedback or public expressions of community dissatisfaction are inherently undermining? Interesting.

For a self-proclaimed libertarian that is some strong authoritarianism tendencies being flirted with lol.

Personally, criticisms aside(and I have more I will probably express if the context is right)what I have been thankful about with this site so far is that the moderators have allowed both open communication about the culture of the board and structural feedback without perceiving or treating it as nefarious attempts to undermine their authority.

Feedback is rarely a coup attempt and it is my experience that most communities tend to devolve when those lines of communication erode or criticism is viewed with universal hostility and something reflexively silenced.

Other thoughts which occur to me:

People who paste the TOS into threads and use it to chasten others may have other bad habits.

Nobody here should be issuing directives/orders to anybody else, telling them what to do or how they should post.

Allow me to suggest that if moderation needs to be done, let the moderators do it via PM. If you're not a moderator, perhaps you should stop telling people how or what they should post.

Joe's right. Internet boards like this are for entertainment. If people aren't entertained, they'll go somewhere else.

If you're a political operative, compelled to regurgitate junk that you've been told or paid to post, you're here for the wrong reason.

Nobody likes a a killjoy.

Other thoughts which occur to me:

People who paste the TOS into threads and use it to chasten others may have other bad habits.

Nobody here should be issuing directives/orders to anybody else, telling them what to do or how they should post.

Allow me to suggest that if moderation needs to be done, let the moderators do it via PM. If you're not a moderator, perhaps you should stop telling people how or what they should post.

Joe's right. Internet boards like this are for entertainment. If people aren't entertained, they'll go somewhere else.

If you're a political operative, compelled to regurgitate junk that you've been told or paid to post, you're here for the wrong reason.

Nobody likes a a killjoy.

You’re doing the thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom