Hunter Biden (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

FullMonte

Reaction score
    Lost in all the news coverage about what's going on in the US right now is this bit of information.

The Ukrainian government has completed an audit of thousands of case files related to Burisma. Ruslan Ryaboshapka (the prosecutor general), described by Zelenskiy as "100 percent my person" in the July phone call with president Trump said "I specifically asked prosecutors to check especially carefully those facts about Biden's alleged involvement. They answered that there was nothing of the kind."

Not that anyone SHOULD be surprised to find out that Hunter Biden was not implicated in something that was done by the CEO of Burisma in his role as a government employee, that happened two years before Biden joined the board.

So the judge in Hunter’s case has disallowed the defense to bring up the fact that the gun seller committed a crime by failing to perform one of the required checks before purchase and then going back and amending the form after the fact to make it seem like he had obeyed the law. The government is also declining to charge the gun seller so far.

President Biden put out a statement of support for Hunter. Noticeably absent the hysterical ranting about the prosecution being “rigged” and the judge and jury being corrupt.

So the judge in Hunter’s case has disallowed the defense to bring up the fact that the gun seller committed a crime by failing to perform one of the required checks before purchase and then going back and amending the form after the fact to make it seem like he had obeyed the law. The government is also declining to charge the gun seller so far.

President Biden put out a statement of support for Hunter. Noticeably absent the hysterical ranting about the prosecution being “rigged” and the judge and jury being corrupt.

If Don Jr faces trial for something I’m sure Trump would have a similarly worded post

That's all just lib talk for "this trial is rigged, the judge is corrupt, and these charges are fake because Hunter didn't do anything wrong."

That's all just lib talk for "this trial is rigged, the judge is corrupt, and these charges are fake because Hunter didn't do anything wrong."
    Yeah, the double standards are glaringly obvious. I just don't understand how otherwise reasonable people can't see it. I mean, I get it's the cult of Trump, but still.

And funny that Trump is now claiming he never said "Lock her up!"

Lol.

Even he recognizes his own hypocrisy.

Perspective on this case, which is a crime that is almost never prosecuted unless the defendant has committed a crime with the gun in question.

In fairness, the NY case against Trump is an equally unique crime. NY wouldn’t have elevated a misdemeanor to a felony for an old crime except due to politics. Trump was just as guilty as Cohen, so Justice was served with his conviction, but even those of us opposed to Trump should acknowledge that politics was involved. By the other hand, any fair person should recognize that Hunter Biden would never be charged for such a minor violation, except for politics. Any fair person should also acknowledge that Trump’s crime is more serious than Hunter’s. Hunter may have illegally denied he was an addict when he bought a gun and didn’t pay his taxes, but no one is charged for such gun purchases without aggravating circumstances such as use of the gun violently, and he only possessed the gun for 15 days, and he paid his taxes back. I bet thousands of people in this country have done the same and not been prosecuted. On the other hand, Trump violated campaign election and tax laws, intentionally hid the crimes, and his Justice department prosecuted his accomplice. By any measure, Trump’s NY crimes are far impactful to the country, despite being the least of Trump’s crimes.

Unfortunately, Hunter may be the sacrificial victim in the effort to keep Trump out of office. If somehow Trump is re-elected, I’m sure Joe will pardon him. If Biden wins, Hunter may have to sit in jail a little longer, but he will be pardoned before Joe finishes his 2nd term.

In fairness, the NY case against Trump is an equally unique crime. NY wouldn’t have elevated a misdemeanor to a felony for an old crime except due to politics. Trump was just as guilty as Cohen, so Justice was served with his conviction, but even those of us opposed to Trump should acknowledge that politics was involved. By the other hand, any fair person should recognize that Hunter Biden would never be charged for such a minor violation, except for politics. Any fair person should also acknowledge that Trump’s crime is more serious than Hunter’s. Hunter may have illegally denied he was an addict when he bought a gun and didn’t pay his taxes, but no one is charged for such gun purchases without aggravating circumstances such as use of the gun violently, and he only possessed the gun for 15 days, and he paid his taxes back. I bet thousands of people in this country have done the same and not been prosecuted. On the other hand, Trump violated campaign election and tax laws, intentionally hid the crimes, and his Justice department prosecuted his accomplice. By any measure, Trump’s NY crimes are far impactful to the country, despite being the least of Trump’s crimes.

Unfortunately, Hunter may be the sacrificial victim in the effort to keep Trump out of office. If somehow Trump is re-elected, I’m sure Joe will pardon him. If Biden wins, Hunter may have to sit in jail a little longer, but he will be pardoned before Joe finishes his 2nd term.
    I’m not sure, but I read that jail isn’t really customary in either of the crimes he is charged with. In fact, they are almost always not even charged. Roger Stone recently paid 7 figures of back taxes and wasn’t even charged.

Felony alteration of business records is charged all the time in Manhattan. I forget the exact figure, but it isn’t a rare crime. It was dozens of cases just since Bragg was elected. The only unique thing about Trump’s case is the identity of this particular felon. It’s not a unique charge.

I’m not sure, but I read that jail isn’t really customary in either of the crimes he is charged with. In fact, they are almost always not even charged. Roger Stone recently paid 7 figures of back taxes and wasn’t even charged.

Felony alteration of business records is charged all the time in Manhattan. I forget the exact figure, but it isn’t a rare crime. It was dozens of cases just since Bragg was elected. The only unique thing about Trump’s case is the identity of this particular felon. It’s not a unique charge.
    I agree that Manhattan does charge this frequently, but they wouldn't have charged an 8 year old crime, except for politics. The NYT published the following stats:

Falsify Business
    Records -
    1st Degree
    NYS Total405304422360359362335139151166
    Non-NYC348282373340313350327135123128
    NYC572249204612842838

Bragg had started focusing on these crimes recently, but I doubt any of these were more than 4 years old, but any that got close were due to time to conduct the investigation. I know they didn't initially charge Trump, since he was president, but that only explains 4 of the years. Since the investigation had to be done to jail Cohen, it shouldn't have taken so long to charge Trump once he left office. It was politics that kept them from charging it initially, then delayed them from moving on it after he left office, and then finally charging it due to political pressure. I agree that had Trump not been president, he would've been charged in a timely manner, just like Cohen was convicted in DEC 2018, within 3 years of the crime, and went to jail in May 2019, but politics delayed it.

The Hunter charge is even more blatantly political, because no crime was committed with the gun, and he paid his taxes and fines. I believe no one had ever been charged for anything comparable. At least Trump's has counterparts.

I agree that Manhattan does charge this frequently, but they wouldn't have charged an 8 year old crime, except for politics. The NYT published the following stats:

Falsify Business
    Records -
    1st Degree
    NYS Total405304422360359362335139151166
    Non-NYC348282373340313350327135123128
    NYC572249204612842838

Bragg had started focusing on these crimes recently, but I doubt any of these were more than 4 years old, but any that got close were due to time to conduct the investigation. I know they didn't initially charge Trump, since he was president, but that only explains 4 of the years. Since the investigation had to be done to jail Cohen, it shouldn't have taken so long to charge Trump once he left office. It was politics that kept them from charging it initially, then delayed them from moving on it after he left office, and then finally charging it due to political pressure. I agree that had Trump not been president, he would've been charged in a timely manner, just like Cohen was convicted in DEC 2018, within 3 years of the crime, and went to jail in May 2019, but politics delayed it.

The Hunter charge is even more blatantly political, because no crime was committed with the gun, and he paid his taxes and fines. I believe no one had ever been charged for anything comparable. At least Trump's has counterparts.

It was Covid when Trump left office in 2020 and Bragg wasn't elected AG until 2022. He initially paused the investigation into Trump until he had time to review the case and to make a charging decision, so that kind of explains the charging delay. He initially got a lot of criticism for pausing the case at the time.

It was Covid when Trump left office in 2020 and Bragg wasn't elected AG until 2022. He initially paused the investigation into Trump until he had time to review the case and to make a charging decision, so that kind of explains the charging delay. He initially got a lot of criticism for pausing the case at the time.
    It was a different crime too from what Vance initially had opened IIRC.

So I am reading this morning that Weiss will not use the actual form Hunter filled out as evidence in the trial. How will that work? I know if I was on the jury, I would want to see the actual form. I don’t see how they can say - trust us, he checked the box.

Of course - the form was illegally altered by the gun seller after the fact, and Weiss is desperate to keep that fact away from the jury. I’m just not sure this will work. Why not just admit what actually happened?

I'm torn about this case. On the one hand, while I know Hunter is being prosecuted for something that would normally be pled, it could serve some useful purposes. Maybe it will lead to more gun purchasers being prosecuted. Maybe it will deter some gun purchase attempts. Maybe it will give the Justice Department more credibility among swing voters that are dubious about the Trump cases. Maybe Hunter deserves some of this because he isn't an angel, so maybe he deserves to spend a couple of years in jail. The best scenario may be a hung jury in the gun trial, because it may still have some deterrent effects, but maybe it'll prompt the Justice Dept to reconsider whether to offer a plea for the tax evasion crime, and it'll get settled such that Hunter is punished in some way.

I feel sorry for Joe, because he has suffered so much already with the death of his son and wife, but even Joe may realize that Hunter deserves to be punished for his shenanigans, as long as the punishment is befitting of the crime, which means pretty minimal punishment. Maybe Hunter will just get a fine, probation and time served, which I think is still more than anyone has ever gotten for such a crime without aggravating circumstances, but maybe that should be the future precedent for illegal gun purchases. Maybe this will start a trend of prosecuting gun crimes, in which case Hunter will be an antihero.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom