/* */

Hunter Biden (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

FullMonte

Reaction score
    Lost in all the news coverage about what's going on in the US right now is this bit of information.

The Ukrainian government has completed an audit of thousands of case files related to Burisma. Ruslan Ryaboshapka (the prosecutor general), described by Zelenskiy as "100 percent my person" in the July phone call with president Trump said "I specifically asked prosecutors to check especially carefully those facts about Biden's alleged involvement. They answered that there was nothing of the kind."

Not that anyone SHOULD be surprised to find out that Hunter Biden was not implicated in something that was done by the CEO of Burisma in his role as a government employee, that happened two years before Biden joined the board.

Because Weiss, being "a lifelong R and Trump appointee" (your words)

Is that not accurate and true? Is he not a lifelong Republican? Was he not appointed by Trump to be the US Attorney for Delaware? Was he not appointed by investigate Hunter Biden by Barr? Why the need to put "(your words)" in parenthesis as if it was just her opinion and contextualization? :shrug:

gives the impression to the Democratic voter (you) that it will be a fair investigation.

As a Democratic voter, all this gives me the impression of is that Garland is trying to seem/be impartial as opposed to being a stronger leader of the DOJ. And it will waste all of our time and take up oxygen while producing nothing.

The really big difference is that Joe isn’t really suspected of doing anything wrong, and Hunter is a private citizen. So it seems to me to be a huge waste of resources when we have bigger fish to fry.

Whereas Trump called that investigation down on himself, and deserved every bit of it. He just obstructed out in the open. Much like he did with the documents in FL.

Of course the Dems took advantage - but they had a lot more material to work with. This is weak sauce, politically, imo.
    Hunter is being accused of peddling the political influence of his dad (then vice-president) to foreign energy companies in Ukraine, China, Russia (I think) and a couple other countries. The China company also having supposed ties to the CCP. Which, honestly, what can't you tie to the CCP in China? The IRS agents said they were investigating wire transfers of large amounts of money from Hunter's business partners to shell companies set up by the Biden family & that money was then being distributed to members of the Biden family through these various shell companies, including Joe, whom Hunter himself supposedly complained in a text message about having the share they money with. So, yes, Joe is suspected of taking part and profiting from the influence peddling. Whether or not it's true, I have no idea.

If they cared about presidents or their families profiting from foreign corporations they missed a really YUGE opportunity. Lol. They don’t care. It’s all political and it couldn’t be more obvious.

I don’t think any of this will damage Joe in the polls. Everybody except MAGA world is rolling their eyes at this crap.
    At worst they want to come out of this with people holding the view that Joe Biden is as corrupt as Trump heading into the 2024 election. And at best I'm sure they're still hoping to find illegal activity that they can tie directly back to Joe Biden.

But yeah, it's certainly political in nature and not for good of country.. for Comer to more or less dismiss the Kushner-Saudi deal as unethical but different because the deal transpired six months after Trump left office gives that away.

Not to both sides it, but it is what it is, I think most of these things are usually more political in nature than anything else because our system is about winning elections and that's what politicians and parties are constantly are trying to do and there's usually little incentive to go after your own like you do the opposition.

Not saying that as an absolute catch-all, there are exceptions and varying levels to it all.. but yeah, the purpose is to damage Biden as much as possible and we all know that.

Why now did Weiss feel his investigation was at this point and what's the actual effective difference now with this transition to a special counsel given that Weiss was already in charge of the investigation.. would be my two questions I think.

I think that’s a good question.

I assume there is information we don’t know yet.

The IRS agents testified to nothing! Their entire beef was based on a proposed plea deal that failed and the idea of Biden avoiding tax penalties that were already resolved/paid.

Zeigler is blowing the whistle on the fact that Hunter and the DoJ agreed to a plea deal. He also recognizes the fact that his questions would become clearer once the full terms of the deal would be released.
    I don't know you got that at all when the quote that I posted CLEARLY states that they were upset that their investigation was being stonewalled by their own leaders and their recommendations for felony charges were ignored and that Weiss allowed the statute of limitations to run out on the heaviest charges before working a plea deal with Hunter.

Now why the frog wouldn't the Republicans think this is a good deal for them?

"Case Against Hunter Biden Could Go to Trial

The Justice Department elevated the U.S. attorney in charge of the case, David Weiss, to special prosecutor. Mr. Weiss said in court papers the case “will not resolve short of a trial.”​

Updated
    Aug. 11, 2023, 3:25 p.m. ET24 minutes ago
    Pinned

Attorney General Merrick B. Garland on Friday elevated the federal prosecutor investigating President Biden’s son Hunter to the status of special counsel after negotiations to revive a plea agreement on tax and gun charges foundered — a signal that the yearslong inquiry has entered a new and unpredictable stage.

Mr. Garland, who made the announcement at the Justice Department’s headquarters in Washington, named David C. Weiss, the U.S. attorney in Delaware who has handled the case since 2018, as special counsel. Around the same time, prosecutors filed court papers indicating that they had reached an impasse with defense lawyers over a proposed plea deal that would have settled tax and gun charges against Hunter Biden, making clear that Mr. Biden might now face a new criminal indictment and a possible trial."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/08/11/us/hunter-biden-garland-special-counsel

The IRS agents said they were investigating wire transfers of large amounts of money from Hunter's business partners to shell companies set up by the Biden family & that money was then being distributed to members of the Biden family through these various shell companies, including Joe, whom Hunter himself supposedly complained in a text message about having the share they money with. So, yes, Joe is suspected of taking part and profiting from the influence peddling.
    Orly??? Here are Ziegler's own words and in NO WAY he suggest anything you claimed as a statement of fact:

As a matter of fact, the claims you state are beyond the scope of the IRS Agent's investigative responsibility, those sort of financial crimes are within the FBI's Financial Crimes Division.

House Rs have no input on a DOJ appointment. Wrong branch of government. It’s not up to them in any way, shape or form.

Why is Weiss supposedly corrupt here? You haven’t given me his motive here. If we are to believe 2 disgruntled ex-IRS agents who have nothing but their word against his, at least show me a viable motive.
    I know they don't have input, that's why Weiss was appointed. But, if you remember, both democrats and republicans were happy with the Mueller appointment and Barr specifically picked him because he was considered non-partisan. Garland didn't pick Weiss because he's a Trump appointee. He'd be stupid if Weiss were really loyal to Trump in any way. I have no idea what his motive would be, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have one. In the same sense, show me what motive the two IRS agents have. The rumor is they were about to get in trouble for leaking info, but is there any proof of that rumor? What motive would they have for basically upending their lives and destroying their careers? I'm not saying I believe them, I'm just saying it puts them on the same playing field as Weiss and, as you said, it's their word against his. But his future looks a lot more promising than theirs does...

Is that not accurate and true? Is he not a lifelong Republican? Was he not appointed by Trump to be the US Attorney for Delaware? Was he not appointed by investigate Hunter Biden by Barr? Why the need to put "(your words)" in parenthesis as if it was just her opinion and contextualization? :shrug:

As a Democratic voter, all this gives me the impression of is that Garland is trying to seem/be impartial as opposed to being a stronger leader of the DOJ. And it will waste all of our time and take up oxygen while producing nothing.
    All Garland has to do is give the impression of impartiality and you, as the democratic voter, will accept that. And you, as the democratic voter, will accept whatever outcome Weiss provides. IF Weiss is guilty of doing what the IRS agents say he was doing, do you not see the problem with that? I didn't put that in quotes because I was calling it your opinion. I was putting it in quotes and emphasizing that it was your words, the words of the democratic voter, as proof that you believe that Weiss will be impartial BECAUSE he is a republican and BECAUSE he is a Trump appointee, even though Republicans are screaming that he is not imparitial. But all the democrats are worried about is assuring that you, the democratic voter, do not lose confidence in Joe Biden and that you think it will be a fair investigation.

At worst they want to come out of this with people holding the view that Joe Biden is as corrupt as Trump heading into the 2024 election. And at best I'm sure they're still hoping to find illegal activity that they can tie directly back to Joe Biden.

But yeah, it's certainly political in nature and not for good of country.. for Comer to more or less dismiss the Kushner-Saudi deal as unethical but different because the deal transpired six months after Trump left office gives that away.

Not to both sides it, but it is what it is, I think most of these things are usually more political in nature than anything else because our system is about winning elections and that's what politicians and parties are constantly are trying to do and there's usually little incentive to go after your own like you do the opposition.

Not saying that as an absolute catch-all, there are exceptions and varying levels to it all.. but yeah, the purpose is to damage Biden as much as possible and we all know that.
    This, exactly...

Orly??? Here are Ziegler's own words and in NO WAY he suggest anything you claimed as a statement of fact:

As a matter of fact, the claims you state are beyond the scope of the IRS Agent's investigative responsibility, those sort of financial crimes are within the FBI's Financial Crimes Division.
    Um, no, it's not beyond the scope of their responsibility. In fact, investigating international tax and financial crimes is literally Shapley's job description.

All Garland has to do is give the impression of impartiality and you, as the democratic voter, will accept that. And you, as the democratic voter, will accept whatever outcome Weiss provides. ..........................................
    And if it goes to trial?

All Garland has to do is give the impression of impartiality and you, as the democratic voter, will accept that. And you, as the democratic voter, will accept whatever outcome Weiss provides.

I've already indicated that me as a Democratic voter thinks this is a waste of time and money and don't think they should have appointed a SC. This move has no resonance with me whatsoever.

IF Weiss is guilty of doing what the IRS agents say he was doing, do you not see the problem with that?

The only thing the IRS agents confirmed was that there was a difference between what they as investigators wanted charged and what Weiss decided to charge. That seems to happen regularly, so .....

I didn't put that in quotes because I was calling it your opinion. I was putting it in quotes and emphasizing that it was your words, the words of the democratic voter, as proof that you believe that Weiss will be impartial BECAUSE he is a republican and BECAUSE he is a Trump appointee

That doesn't make Weiss impartial in my view. If anything it likely prejudices him against Hunter Biden, but I don't know that for a fact. Still none of that changes that those statements are objective facts regardless of what the political denomonation is of the person that says it. Also, I didn't say it, I was just commenting on it.

, even though Republicans are screaming that he is not imparitial. But all the democrats are worried about is assuring that you, the democratic voter, do not lose confidence in Joe Biden and that you think it will be a fair investigation.

Again, this has no impact on me as a voter. Republicans scream about everything.

Last edited:
    And if it goes to trial?
    Weiss decides what to charge him with, correct? Maybe it does go to trial, but does Weiss charge him with what he should be charged with? The IRS agents say he didn't do that the first time. What makes you think he will do that now? He already let the felony tax crimes go past the statute of limitations, so, what is he going to charge him with now? Or, maybe they just come up with another plea deal similar to the first one and another judge that will accept that plea deal.

I know they don't have input, that's why Weiss was appointed. But, if you remember, both democrats and republicans were happy with the Mueller appointment and Barr specifically picked him because he was considered non-partisan. Garland didn't pick Weiss because he's a Trump appointee. He'd be stupid if Weiss were really loyal to Trump in any way. I have no idea what his motive would be, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have one. In the same sense, show me what motive the two IRS agents have. The rumor is they were about to get in trouble for leaking info, but is there any proof of that rumor? What motive would they have for basically upending their lives and destroying their careers? I'm not saying I believe them, I'm just saying it puts them on the same playing field as Weiss and, as you said, it's their word against his. But his future looks a lot more promising than theirs does...
    Well, I tend to give a lot less credence to a charge of some sort of corruption or conspiracy - remember his entire team would have had to be in on it - when there is no apparent motive.

BTW, Barr didn’t appoint Mueller - that was Rosenstein.

And no, Garland doesn’t have to be stupid - unless you consider playing everything straight and above board to be stupid. Garland isn’t really political - he‘s a former judge - and a damn good one. He would be someone I would trust to be impartial here. Weiss, I assume so, but I’m not sure about him. Biden is also trying to be hands off of the DOJ - in contrast to his predecessor who meddled in all sorts of DOJ business. Garland is probably the least political AG we’ve had in decades.

And yeah, the idea that the two IRS agents were in trouble isn’t totally substantiated, but it has been reported widely enough that I feel it’s pretty solid. They themselves describe being shut out of the investigation by their superiors - which lends itself to them being in some sort of trouble. So their careers were already upended before they came forward. Whether they were in trouble because of unauthorized leaks to the press or because of some mishandling of evidence, I don’t know. But I think it’s pretty solid to think they were in trouble for something.

Weiss decides what to charge him with, correct? Maybe it does go to trial, but does Weiss charge him with what he should be charged with? The IRS agents say he didn't do that the first time. What makes you think he will do that now? He already let the felony tax crimes go past the statute of limitations, so, what is he going to charge him with now? Or, maybe they just come up with another plea deal similar to the first one and another judge that will accept that plea deal.
    I suggest you cut all the theoretical speculation and wait and see where this goes.

He already let the felony tax crimes go past the statute of limitations,
    Do you have the details on this, or is that just his word? From what I have read, the tax charges they actually did pursue against Hunter are almost never actually charged if the taxpayer pays the back taxes and fines, which Hunter did years ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom