Gov. Abbott intends to pardon man convicted of murdering BLM protester (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    This is wildly forked up. This guy clearly intended to go kill protesters and deliberately instigate a situation that would appear to allow him to use stand your ground defense. The jury rejected that defense (because that’s not how it works!).

Abbott can’t wait to pardon him. Holy shirt.

I can’t wrap my head around how anyone with a reasonable moral compass would think this case supports a pardon. He clearly left the house with the intention of causing the situation he caused.

Abbot and the rest of the Republicans don't have a reasonable moral compass. They have a racist, 1950's right wing compass. In that mentality, this case definitely supports a pardon.

Can’t be overstated how important this development is. In addition to Perry’s online boasts about possibly killing BLM protesters, arguably it’s Garrett Foster and the protesters who have a “stand your ground” defense. A prosecutor is on record that Foster’s rifle was recovered with the safety still engaged and no bullet in the chamber, and witnesses were reportedly consistent that he never raised his rifle at Perry.

This is another case where if looked at in isolation, people might be able to spin it to their satisfaction, but in the context of what is happening, it’s another salvo in Republican attacks on democracy, tightening their grip on power, and menacing minority groups and anybody else not aligned with them.

They are waging a war against America. Don’t be lulled into thinking otherwise.

Last edited:
    Disgusting.

Half of this country truly disgust me and I KNOW they feel the same way about me but for very different reasons. The one thing I do appreciate is that they have given up pretending that this land is made for you and me.

I genuinely view myself to pretty much be in the middle.. but Carville pretty much hit the nail on the head for me last August:

James Carville said:
    "And let me say it, when they say, ‘James, we have our crazies, but, look, you have your crazies, you know, what pronouns you have, veganism and stuff.’ The problem is that people who believe in that are just silly. All right? People that believe that the election was stolen and have a right to storm the Capitol, which is a substantial number of people in the Republican Party, are evil. Our people are kind of silly."

I'll vote for silly over evil 11 out of 10 times and that is basically what we're dealing with.

Can’t be overstated how important this development is. In addition to Perry’s online boasts about possibly killing BLM protesters, arguably it’s Garrett Foster and the protesters who have a “stand your ground” defense. A prosecutor is on record that Foster’s rifle was recovered with the safety still engaged and no bullet in the chamber, and witnesses were reportedly consistent that he never raised his rifle at Perry.

This is another case where if looked at in isolation, people might be able to spin it to their satisfaction, but in the context of what is happening, it’s another salvo in Republican attacks on democracy, tightening their grip on power, and menacing minority groups and anybody else not aligned with them.

They are waging a war against America. Don’t be lulled into thinking otherwise.

Like all of them, Texas's stand your ground law excludes the defense where the defendant provoked the incident. The jury found that he did just that!

The jury sat for over a week and listened to the evidence that included Perry's online boasts and convicted him of murder, rejecting his stand your ground defense.

For the governor, who sat through none of the case, to simply pardon him because he thinks the jury got it wrong is peak activism and nullification of clear application of law in the name of this ridiculous culture war we're in right now. It's disgusting.

Like all of them, Texas's stand your ground law excludes the defense where the defendant provoked the incident. The jury found that he did just that!

The jury sat for over a week and listened to the evidence that included Perry's online boasts and convicted him of murder, rejecting his stand your ground defense.

For the governor, who sat through none of the case, to simply pardon him because he thinks the jury got it wrong is peak activism and nullification of clear application of law in the name of this ridiculous culture war we're in right now. It's disgusting.

Abbott is a Peice of work that doesn't belong anywhere near public office. I'm convinced that he knew about how bad the Uvalde situation was from day 1. That "press conference" seemed to me staged to somehow show how great the law enforcement response was and then, days later he was able to feign "outrage" over the failures and how he didn't know....I call BS.....that press conference reminded me very much of the dog and pony show that W's folks put on with Powell to prove that Iraq had WMD's.....

This is wildly forked up. This guy clearly intended to go kill protesters and deliberately instigate a situation that would appear to allow him to use stand your ground defense. The jury rejected that defense (because that’s not how it works!).

Abbott can’t wait to pardon him. Holy shirt.

If Perry can instigate someone and then use the hold your ground defense, then someone can do that to him. Abbott may not pardon someone who kills Perry, but the next Democratic Governor could use the same argument to pardon anyone who kills Perry. Texas will get a Democratic Governor if Abbott is crazy enough to issue a pardon.

So they want the guy who killed terrorist Ashley Babbitt to be charged with murder while simultaneously wanting this guy who has been convicted of murdering a BLM protester to go free?

Yeah, the jig is up. They've devolved to a point where moral considerations do not apply to anything and all that matters is the ability to wield power and choose winners and losers based upon political considerations.

Last edited:
    Disgusting.

Half of this country truly disgust me and I KNOW they feel the same way about me but for very different reasons. The one thing I do appreciate is that they have given up pretending that this land is made for you and me.
    I don't think half the country is like this its a small minority thats getting catered to.

I don't think half the country is like this its a small minority thats getting catered to.

It's every single member of the GOP. Those that stay are complicit for not doing everything they legally can to change the situation. Leaving the GOP in droves, sitting out elections, or (even better) casting votes for Democrats is the only way to get the point across. Staying in the party and casting votes for GOP candidates simply emboldens them.

It's every single member of the GOP. Those that stay are complicit for not doing everything they legally can to change the situation. Leaving the GOP in droves, sitting out elections, or (even better) casting votes for Democrats is the only way to get the point across. Staying in the party and casting votes for GOP candidates simply emboldens them.
    Yes, but that isn’t nearly half, in the country as a whole. Rs already are at distinct disadvantages in a lot of states, and that is only going to get worse over time. I’m not saying this to say we don’t need to advocate for change right now. I do take some comfort in knowing that their days are numbered though.

I can’t wrap my head around how anyone with a reasonable moral compass would think this case supports a pardon. He clearly left the house with the intention of causing the situation he caused.
    The thing about moral compasses, there isn't a single moral magnetic point... you get to magnetize your own.

we are seeing them lose votes. but we are also seeing them override the voters will. the minority are trying to force their rule on everyone else.

Yes, but that isn’t nearly half, in the country as a whole. Rs already are at distinct disadvantages in a lot of states, and that is only going to get worse over time. I’m not saying this to say we don’t need to advocate for change right now. I do take some comfort in knowing that their days are numbered though.
    Not if they can help it.

Remember Trump lost the popular vote in 2016 by millions.

This is all very shocking 🙄

A Travis County judge Thursday unsealed court records that revealed more anti-protester social media posts and messages that a jury did not see or hear while deciding whether to convict Daniel Perry on a murder charge in the death of Garrett Foster.

The posts included messages such as "Black Lives Matter is racist to white people...It is official I am racist because I do not agree with people acting like monkeys," Perry wrote.

[…]

On another Facebook post on June 1, 2020, Perry wrote: “now it is my turn to get banned (from Facebook) by comparing the black lives matter movement to a zoo full of monkeys that are freaking out flinging their s--t.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom