First amendment limitations (1 Viewer)

Goatman saint

Reaction score
I love the raging about how social media taking off posts and such from private users and them launching off about their first amendment rights. Now to clarify my stupidity, but the first amenities only applies to federal government and legal issues am I not correct? I know most states match that protection at a state level, but private business isn’t regulated by first amendment is it?

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
Reaction score
Private business is not regulated by the first amendment.

But in the generic sense, non-governmental actors can engage in censorship. It’s just that they may be perfectly within their right and prerogative to do it.

Note that in your description you said “most states match” the right at the state level - the first amendment applies to all government actors (including state and local) by operation of the 14th amendment and corollaries in state constitutions.

DaveXA

Reaction score
Private business is not regulated by the first amendment.

But in the generic sense, non-governmental actors can engage in censorship. It’s just that they may be perfectly within their right and prerogative to do it.

Note that in your description you said “most states match” the right at the state level - the first amendment applies to all government actors (including state and local) by operation of the 14th amendment and corollaries in state constitutions.

While I understand what you're saying here, aren't there limitations for news and social media? It does seem like there are a somewhat different set of standards for them compared to other privately owned or publicly traded companies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Top Bottom