FDA officially raises age to buy tobacco to 21 (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

BobE

Guv'nor
    Reaction score
    The Food and Drug Administration officially raised the age to buy tobacco in the U.S. from 18 to 21, fulfilling a key portion of the federal spending package that President Trump signed into law last week.

The big picture: The decision comes faster than some expected as the FDA had six months to amend their policies after Trump signed the bill and another 90 days to officially adopt the change. 19 states and the District of Columbia had already put in place laws to raise the minimum buying age for tobacco products — including cigarettes, cigars and e-cigarettes — to 21.

I'm kind of torn on this. It's the same age for alcohol which I get but yet it's still 18 to join the military. I've seen a lot of people on social media who want the age for all 3 raised to 25 since that is when the brain is fully developed which makes sense. Yet these same people want the voting age lowered to 16 which seems dumb.

So, I kind of forgot that flavored cigarettes were mostly banned (along with kid marketing years ago), and tobacco companies have worked around similar laws with cigars and vaping products didnt exist, so they dont seem to have been covered.

From 2017 to 2019 3 million more kids were vaping. Not sure if they switched from cigarettes to vaping or of these arw new tobacco users.

Attached the paper. Still looking it over.

I suspect that most of the kids vaping were new to nicotine.

When I was teaching high school in the early 2000s smoking wasn’t nearly as pervasive among the kids as it was when I had attended the same high school 10 years earlier. Anecdotal I know, but smoking tobacco didn’t seem to be a thing among my sons group of friends either.

Vaping is a far better method of nicotine delivery than cigarettes, and the only reason to smoke cigarettes is because thats the habit you’re used to.

Thing is, I’m not sure nicotine is more harmful than caffeine without the tobacco by products. We sell flavored caffeine out the wazoo.

When the age was 18 and I was 12 buying them with no problem, this makes me think it'll be no different.
    I remember going to the store and telling them I was buying them for my mom. The early 80's were grand!

I have no problem with raising the age limit. It won't stop underage smoking but makes it more difficult to acquire for kids.

I remember going to the store and telling them I was buying them for my mom. The early 80's were grand!

I have no problem with raising the age limit. It won't stop underage smoking but makes it more difficult to acquire for kids.
    I used to call the store in advance pretending to be my dad and tell them I was sending my son to pick them up for me because I was ill/wheelchair bound/lazy/whatever and would send him with a signed note giving my permission. I only ever did that at the Terranova's grocery store on Esplanade because it was a mom and pop type place.

When at my dad's house in Lakeview as a kid, we'd have to trek it down to the Mini Mart on Milne and Harrison because he just sold them to us without question. And, of course, you could always find someone willing to buy them for you if you waited like ten minutes outside of any Time Saver (wow - that just popped into my head and they've been gone for years now) but I don't think people would be as willing to do it today like they were in the 80's.

I used to call the store in advance pretending to be my dad and tell them I was sending my son to pick them up for me because I was ill/wheelchair bound/lazy/whatever and would send him with a signed note giving my permission. I only ever did that at the Terranova's grocery store on Esplanade because it was a mom and pop type place.

When at my dad's house in Lakeview as a kid, we'd have to trek it down to the Mini Mart on Milne and Harrison because he just sold them to us without question. And, of course, you could always find someone willing to buy them for you if you waited like ten minutes outside of any Time Saver (wow - that just popped into my head and they've been gone for years now) but I don't think people would be as willing to do it today like they were in the 80's.
    I remember the latino owned stores in Miami didn't ID either. When they did, if you were 16 they didn't care. Some even let us buy booze. I looked like I was 12 years old when I was 16.
    I never had to ask people to buy me cigarettes as a kid but booze was always a thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom