FBI official under investigation after allegedly altering document in 2016 Russia probe (DOJ IG Report thread) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

bdb13

Reaction score
    Washington (CNN) —
    An FBI official is under criminal investigation after allegedly altering a document related to 2016 surveillance of a Trump campaign adviser, several people briefed on the matter told CNN.

The possibility of a substantive change to an investigative document is likely to fuel accusations from President Donald Trump and his allies that the FBI committed wrongdoing in its investigation of connections between Russian election meddling and the Trump campaign.

The finding is expected to be part of Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz's review of the FBI's effort to obtain warrants under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act on Carter Page, a former Trump campaign aide. Horowitz will release the report next month.

Horowitz turned over evidence on the allegedly altered document to John Durham, the federal prosecutor appointed early this year by Attorney General William Barr to conduct a broad investigation of intelligence gathered for the Russia probe by the CIA and other agencies, including the FBI. The altered document is also at least one focus of Durham's criminal probe.

Terrible if true. Trump will obviously seize upon this.

It seems odd to argue that there was a huge, deep state operation or coverup when every time one of these inappropriate actions took place, the person responsible had consequences for their actions. Whether it was Stozak and Page or this lawyer, who was forced out.

Doesn't sound like that's much there, but I'm sure it's all there right will talk about.

This story has something for everyone. It's actually going pretty close to what I predicted would happen. Horowitz determines that there was a good legal basis for the FISA report and that not all rules were followed precisely.

JimE brings up a good point though. I'm not sure Horowitz it's in a position to determine whether there is a good legal basis for the FISA report. That's for a FISA judge to determine. I suspect the actual report will determine that some procedures were not properly followed, but there was no concerted effort to falsify evidence and that the evidence presented to the FISA court was accurate.
    Could he be saying that the FISA court made the determination based on sound legal footing that the alteration wouldn't have affected?

So, the reason I'm in favor of Horowitz and Durham's investigations even though I'm also pretty sure there were also good reasons to investigate the Trump campaign, is that it is vitally important in a functioning democracy to have strict rules in place to keep a check on the power of the state. And even if the law enforcement agency is convinced they are investigating a guilty man, they still need to follow the rules to protect even criminals' civil rights.

That's why the OJ verdict was the correct one even though I'm convinced he killed his wife. Because if the state can start fudging evidence or bend the rules, then none of us are safe.

Could he be saying that the FISA court made the determination based on sound legal footing that the alteration wouldn't have affected?

So, obviously we're all speculating, but I think that would be outside his purview. He's supposed to be investigating whether the FBI properly followed the rules or falsified evidence in their investigation. He isn't supervising the FISA court.

I suspect if the CNN report is based on facts it will read closer to what JimE said.

So, obviously we're all speculating, but I think that would be outside his purview. He's supposed to be investigating whether the FBI properly followed the rules or falsified evidence in their investigation. He isn't supervising the FISA court.

I suspect if the CNN report is based on facts it will read closer to what JimE said.
    It was the Time article that said it, based on AP reporting.

So, the reason I'm in favor of Horowitz and Durham's investigations even though I'm also pretty sure there were also good reasons to investigate the Trump campaign, is that it is vitally important in a functioning democracy to have strict rules in place to keep a check on the power of the state. And even if the law enforcement agency is convinced they are investigating a guilty man, they still need to follow the rules to protect even criminals' civil rights.

That's why the OJ verdict was the correct one even though I'm convinced he killed his wife. Because if the state can start fudging evidence or bend the rules, then none of us are safe.

I think Barr appointing Durham to investigate is overkill and a waste of resources. It was done simply to placate Trump and give him some ammunition to fend off attacks. Basically so he could keep his deep state attacks/defense going. Horowitz's IG investigation was sufficient.

Either way, I don't have a problem with whatever the findings and results are and I'm not going to say it's fabricated or anything like that. If they find inappropriate actions, then prosecute the offenders and put policies in place to prevent it from happening again.

Last edited:
    Some information about the IG report is starting to leak out.

IMG_20191203_070905.jpg

What are you scared about Durham finding out? Do you think he will make up things like Schiff did?

I'm not afraid of anything. Just depressed over how so many people who claimed to be pro law enforcement, suddenly become "orange lives matter" {Mod Edit :nono: Avoid using terms or phrases that are considered triggers to the opposition] as soon as their criminal president feels the heat of law enforcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Everything I'm reading is that Barr is contradicting the findings. He already determined the investigations were unwarranted so he defies the evidence. This is what the GOP accuses the dems of doing in the impeachment, except the dems provide evidence and testimony. This is a smoke screen to divert attention from Trump's impeachment process. They will find minor items that should be corrected and prevented from happening again in the future but that had no major impact in the investigation or justification for the warrants.

What are you scared about Durham finding out? Do you think he will make up things like Schiff did?

I hope he finds something awful and completely burns down the democrats. The GOP is completely compromised and dirty at this point, so it would be silly to think that the democratic side would be completely without issues.

Personally, I think we'd be well served if both parties imploded and we went to a multi-party system like Canada or Israel where ideologues have to compromise with enough other ideologues to form a coalition government every four years. And all elections are publicly funded. No more money swaying the polls or visibility of one candidate over the other. Honestly I think that's the only shot at a true government by the people and for the people anymore.

But Durahm finding anything doesn't absolve this administration of their own corruption.

I think Barr appointing Durham to investigate is overkill and a waste of resources. It was done simply to placate Trump and give him some ammunition to fend off attacks. Basically so he could keep his deep state attacks/defense going. Horowitz's IG investigation was sufficient.

Sorry, there is no way the IG investigation can be considered sufficient. After all, it doesn't appear to show that there was an organized conspiracy among members at the highest level of the government to overthrow Trump.

Therefore, we need another investigation...and another...and another...until one of them reaches that conclusion.

Interesting that you ask "do you think he will make up things"....shortly after you posted an article that said "Mr Barr's skepticism could place more pressure on John H Durham...to find evidence backing Mr. Barr's position."

I'm not afraid of anything. Just depressed over how so many people who claimed to be pro law enforcement, suddenly become "orange lives matter" as soon as their criminal president feels the heat of law enforcement.
    I remember a time when those on the left were skeptical of the FBI and CIA, but suddenly (Mod edit: no derogatory nicknames) have made them make a 180 and now trust everything from the FBI and CIA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom