Elon Musk and Twitter Reach Deal for Sale (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    Elon Musk struck a deal on Monday to buy Twitter for roughly $44 billion, in a victory by the world’s richest man to take over the influential social network frequented by world leaders, celebrities and cultural trendsetters.

Twitter agreed to sell itself to Mr. Musk for $54.20 a share, a 38 percent premium over the company’s share price this month before he revealed he was the firm’s single largest shareholder. It would be the largest deal to take a company private — something Mr. Musk has said he will do with Twitter — in at least two decades, according to data compiled by Dealogic.

“Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated,” Mr. Musk said in a statement announcing the deal. “Twitter has tremendous potential — I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it.”

The deal, which has been unanimously approved by Twitter’s board, is expected to close this year, subject to a vote of Twitter shareholders and certain regulatory approvals.

The blockbuster agreement caps what had seemed an improbable attempt by the famously mercurial Mr. Musk, 50, to buy the social media company — and immediately raises questions about what he will do with the platform and how his actions will affect online speech globally.

If Musk does what he claims he wants to do it will be a big improvement and good for free speech.

it's hilarious.. he's drowning in his own stupidity.. the fact that a college student could possibly ruin Musks Twitter and cause it to go bankrupt is hilarious. does he really think the big advertisers are gonna stick around for this crap?

Musk took his ball and went home after drew Harwell compared this to the hunter Biden reporting. Drew Harwell also made it clear musks accusation is wrong. Hartwell only linked to the banned account.

Post.news needs to move faster! One of the reasons to keep users engaged is the suggested users/content...ie YouTube. Plus i've petered out going through my twitter page and adding them to post.

And here's an interesting theory:

But so what the EU will fine him. He won't pay. It'll be interesting how/if they will shut down twitter.

Musk took his ball and went home after drew Harwell compared this to the hunter Biden reporting. Drew Harwell also made it clear musks accusation is wrong. Hartwell only linked to the banned account.

Post.news needs to move faster! One of the reasons to keep users engaged is the suggested users/content...ie YouTube. Plus i've petered out going through my twitter page and adding them to post.

But so what the EU will fine him. He won't pay. It'll be interesting how/if they will shut down twitter.

I think Musk should be even more worried at this point of Apple and Google kicking Twitter out of their app stores.

I’m seeing that not only did Musk run away from that Spaces chat, but now that function has been removed from Twitter entirely. Lol.

And here it is, not only does he admit he banned “the journalists he doesn’t like”, he seems to want credit for not having them killed. He’s not really a normal dude, lol.

tweet unavailable lol
    (I saw it before it was deleted)
    Yeah he’s truly an idiot.

What he said was that in lots of places journalists who anger the wrong person end up dead, so him banning journalists he doesn’t like seems like a reasonable response. (As best I can remember).

The whole thing is completely moronic. He claims that posting where his plane is led to the supposed encounter with a disturbed person who jumped on the hood of a car containing one of his kids. But, he wasn’t there first of all, and the location of his plane doesn’t doxx his location “in real time” at all like he claims.

Last edited:
    I'm done with Twitter for news and emergency fire watch. I'm moving on as quickly as I can. The lions share of the news at Twitter has become all about Musk.

That fellow has a knack for getting people to talk about him, and he doesn't seem to care if the talk about him is good or bad. Reminds me way too much of Trump.

Here's where I'm moving on to, to get my news from the major papers and network reporters:

Most of them seem to be moving to Post, its newspaper oriented. I'm currently at #178 on the waiting list. I was at #37,611 when I got on the waiting list two days ago.

I'm going to sign up for Mastodon for emergence fire watch because that is where they are going. However I don't think Mastodon will attract the kind of quality news sources I want. That's why I'll wind up at both.

My emergency fire alert group is setting up their own server. I'll join their specialized server group as soon as they have it set up with enough server capacity to take on more users. The fire people know my name at Twitter because they were about the only people at Twitter who I chat with. That chat was about fires, and that is necessary. Last summer sometimes I was the reporter on the ground who could see best where the flames were going. When the fires aren't near enough to me I don't have anything from the ground to add. We're a collective and have people who are near just about all of the west coast fires.

I need that kind of real time emergency service information to live here. When we have a fire a few miles from the house like we did last summer, having a good source of news which is posted almost real time is necessary.

That same jet tracking app that Musk is trying to kill at Twitter provides us real time information about the air tankers flying over our heads. It's a necessity for the fire watch, and Musk is trying to kill it to score billionaire tough guy points for goons.

:(

I wish I knew what Musk's end game plan is. Right now he worry's me more than Trump does.

If he loses, he will just delete the poll. He had a poll for when to unban the journalists, both times “immediately” won, and he just ignored it. He’s a broken person. His money makes him a little bit dangerous, because we know a rather large % of people will happily lick his boots because of his money. It’s disgusting to watch it happen. I think I was happier when I didn’t know how naive, stupid, and/or just completely transactional a whole lot of people are in real life. At least 30% I would say.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom