Elon Musk and Twitter Reach Deal for Sale (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    Elon Musk struck a deal on Monday to buy Twitter for roughly $44 billion, in a victory by the world’s richest man to take over the influential social network frequented by world leaders, celebrities and cultural trendsetters.

Twitter agreed to sell itself to Mr. Musk for $54.20 a share, a 38 percent premium over the company’s share price this month before he revealed he was the firm’s single largest shareholder. It would be the largest deal to take a company private — something Mr. Musk has said he will do with Twitter — in at least two decades, according to data compiled by Dealogic.

“Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated,” Mr. Musk said in a statement announcing the deal. “Twitter has tremendous potential — I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it.”

The deal, which has been unanimously approved by Twitter’s board, is expected to close this year, subject to a vote of Twitter shareholders and certain regulatory approvals.

The blockbuster agreement caps what had seemed an improbable attempt by the famously mercurial Mr. Musk, 50, to buy the social media company — and immediately raises questions about what he will do with the platform and how his actions will affect online speech globally.

If Musk does what he claims he wants to do it will be a big improvement and good for free speech.

Translation: left wingers are mad that people on the right aren't shadowbanned anymore, people who they disagree with are being let back on Twitter(have they not heard of the mute and block?) and they lost control of their biggest censorship tool.

Ben Collins a great example of that.

Perfect description of Ben Collins...Hall monitor

It's cute that you think that what's happening at Twitter is going to lead to a better product.

Didn't Elon specifically state a few days ago that shadowbanning would be a thing a Twitter now? Lol.

Nate Silver deserves the shade. And it’s hilarious that you think if you throw shade at someone who has been very publicly wrong in his chosen profession then you’re being a “hall monitor”. What happened to free speech, SFL? LOL - snowflakes!

Musk has been a dumpster fire for Twitter. That’s an objective fact. And didn’t you see the tweet where he described how he would use shadow banning? LOL.

Give it up on the censorship crap. it’s embarrassing. 🤦‍♀️

And surely anyone who uses Twitter at all has noticed fewer ads. That’s very noticeable.

Here’s the thing: Twitter in the US isn’t all that important. Worldwide is a different story. Twitter is being used to communicate in places that are very authoritarian. It’s being used to coordinate really important protests, to bring attention to genocides, to fight dictatorships.

Musk is going to screw that all up. And I’m not sure that it isn’t intentional.

It's quite obvious why the left/media is freaking out about Musk owning Twitter. They lost the best place for their censorship. The campaign by the left to try to act like Twitter is now so different and filled with much more hate speech/violence is transparent. Either Vindman has an army of bots, or he's participating in the left's campaign against Twitter:

No response to Musk censoring people when he said he wouldn't do it? I don't know why you waste your time posting here if only to be a sounding chamber to yourself.

It's quite obvious why the left/media is freaking out about Musk owning Twitter. They lost the best place for their censorship. The campaign by the left to try to act like Twitter is now so different and filled with much more hate speech/violence is transparent. Either Vindman has an army of bots, or he's participating in the left's campaign against Twitter:

I feel like is where I differ greatly with the right. I think the laptop scandal, and how it was handled was horrible. I also don't need to see the deep thoughts of every hate group on the planet either.

The most probable outcome of all this is Twitter becomes Truth Social, and some other platform becomes the mainstream "Twitter".

I really wish conservatives understood that corporations want to show ads to the biggest possible audience. They don't like white nationalism, or LGTBQ exclusionary content for that reason. You don't need the Clinton Dark Super Devil 666 Pact for advertisers to leave in droves.

I feel like is where I differ greatly with the right. I think the laptop scandal, and how it was handled was horrible. I also don't need to see the deep thoughts of every hate group on the planet either.

The most probable outcome of all this is Twitter becomes Truth Social, and some other platform becomes the mainstream "Twitter".

I really wish conservatives understood that corporations want to show ads to the biggest possible audience. They don't like white nationalism, or LGTBQ exclusionary content for that reason. You don't need the Clinton Dark Super Devil 666 Pact for advertisers to leave in droves.
    From what I can tell and what I've read about it, there hasn't been a big increase in hate speech or calls for violence since Musk took over except for the initial spike. It seems like there is more of a coordinated campaign by people on the left to make it seem like hate speech and calls for violence is on the rise than actual increases. There is already a push by some on the left to pressure Apple and Google to remove Twitter from the app store. It's the same playbook that the left used against Parler when it became the most downloaded app after Trump was banned from Twitter.

From what I can tell and what I've read about it, there hasn't been a big increase in hate speech or calls for violence since Musk took over except for the initial spike. It seems like there is more of a coordinated campaign by people on the left to make it seem like hate speech and calls for violence is on the rise than actual increases. There is already a push by some on the left to pressure Apple and Google to remove Twitter from the app store. It's the same playbook that the left used against Parler when it became the most downloaded app after Trump was banned from Twitter.

I like how when it's a narrative you agree with you don't bother to question the source or where these purported statistics are coming from. Quality objectivity on your part. Bravo.

No response to Musk censoring people when he said he wouldn't do it? I don't know why you waste your time posting here if only to be a sounding chamber to yourself.
    I don't respond to people who constantly personally insult me or constantly post childish responses to my posts which have nothing to do with what I posted. Until you stop doing that I will continue to ignore you as well as people who called me a terrorist supporter.

I don't respond to people who constantly personally insult me or constantly post childish responses to my posts which have nothing to do with what I posted. Until you stop doing that I will continue to ignore you as well as people who called me a terrorist supporter.
    I don't view questioning one's objectivity as a personal insult. But that's a convenient shield to avoid self-reflection. You come here to promote one narrative from one side of the political spectrum and never entertain critiques of it to the contrary.

Your silence in the face of legitimate questioning of why you don't oppose Musk's personal agenda of censorship is defeaning. His own actions prove he isn't about free speech.

His post completely addressed your post. We all know why you won’t respond to it.

All you have to do is look to see the increased hatefulness on Twitter. I don’t need any skewed stats. I see the posts. What you are saying is that allowing Nazis, white supremacists, etc. back on Twitter won’t result in more hateful posts? Lol. Go sell that nonsense somewhere else.

The funny thing is -- and no offense to everyone else(!) -- that I consider myself one of the few people who try to take SFL's arguments at face value and respond in a meaningful way (yes, when he blatantly ignores me I go in with a pokey stick to underscore the fact he's ducking the questions). Others may just assail him head-on. He can easily respond to those type of perceived attacks but not so easily to when I try to get him to examine the objectivity of the situation. Thus, he ignores me not because I insult him but because he doesn't have good answers to my questions. Perhaps he takes that as an insult because they are more damaging to his core beliefs than someone simply shouting past him.

Last edited:
    The funny thing is -- and no offense to everyone else(!) -- that I consider myself one of the few people who try to take SFL's arguments at face value and respond in a meaningful way (yes, when he blatantly ignores me I go in with a pokey stick to underscore the fact he's ducking the questions). Others may just assail him head-on. He can easily respond to those type of perceived attacks but not so easily to when I try to get him to examine the objectivity of the situation. Thus, he ignores me not because I insult him but because he doesn't have good answers to my questions. Perhaps he takes that as an insult because they are more damaging to his core beliefs than someone simply shouting past him.
    He simply doesn't have the self-awareness necessary to be somewhat objective about his views. Precisely why it feels like he's talking into an echo chamber. Everything he doesn't agree with gets filtered out.

It looks like post.social is getting traction over mastodon. Unfortunately since I only use my twitter to get news and have zero activity, I’m on the wait list. Been a week or 2 :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom