Election Electoral College predictions (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard

Staff member
    Reaction score
    To get our minds off of the virus, debates and campaign theatrics for a moment, I thought it might be an interesting exercise to post our predictions of the final Electoral College margin. Of course, any prediction made would be a moment-in-time snapshot of what we think will happen given the current circumstances. Any number of factors could influence the vote over the final month of the campaign.

There are sites that can help you arrive at your prediction. Real Clear Politics and 538 have polling data that can help you come up with a number. I use RCP mostly because they have a good interactive national map that's easy to use and they don't include polls conducted by companies like SurveyMonkey. They do, however include partisan polling, like Trafalgar and Change Research.

My prediction started with looking at a best case scenario for a Trump reelection. I started by putting all of the states shown to lean in one direction in that camp. RCP shows states like Indiana and Missouri leaning Trump and Oregon and Virginia leaning Biden when those states and others like them are certainly going to end up in those columns. That leaves 11 "battleground" states (and two one-vote congressional districts) that theoretically could go either way and gives a picture of a 226-125 Biden lead before assigning a winner in those states. In looking at Trump's best case scenario, I gave him every state in which he is marginally ahead and those he is behind by less less than five points, as well as the two congressional districts. That would provide Biden with a slim 278-260 win. To come out with a better scenario for Trump, you would need to assign one or more of Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin or New Hampshire to Trump and he is trailing in all of those states by more than five points.

However, I don't believe that Trump will achieve his best case numbers and Biden could win several more states, like Arizona, Ohio, Florida, Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia and Texas. I still think Trump will likely keep Texas, Iowa and Georgia, so my prediction as of today is 353-185 in favor of Biden.

If you choose to participate in this exercise, you are welcome to give different predictions over the course of the next month. I intend to post a final prediction on Nov. 2/3 and may even post a weekly prediction, depending on the level of participation.

Last edited:
    Why are people using, what seems like a euphemism, "spoilage" instead of the more accurate and precise term rejection? Ballots don't spoil, they get rejected.
    'Spoilage' is a term of art. Rejection is a perfectly acceptable synonym with the caveat that there is no negative connotation. For example: The Pennsylvania Supreme Court (comprised of 6 Democrats and 1 Republican) ruled that any ballot not mailed inside a privacy envelope would not be acceptable and, further, that once rejected there would be no way to 'cure' it. It isn't a case of suppression, rather people making mistakes in not following the procedure. I have not read the opinion but I'm sure there are numerous non-partisan reasons why they ruled the way they did (and you would think if they were going to be partisan it would be in favor of accepting more ballots). At a certain point, people have to accept some responsibility and exercise care when casting a mail-in ballot.

So now we're using euphemisms for the term "euphemism" while attemptiing to explain why we're using a euphemism?

There's too much style and mimicry, and not enough substance in our current social discourse.

People don't call it rejection, because it's alarming to be reminded that thousands of votes are routinely rejected by our current systems. Spoilage sounds less alarming.

Guess what? We should be alarmed by any system that routinely leads to thousands of ballots being rejected. That should be an unacceptable system to everyone. Euphemisms are used to create apathy.

To get our minds off of the virus, debates and campaign theatrics for a moment, I thought it might be an interesting exercise to post our predictions of the final Electoral College margin. Of course, any prediction made would be a moment-in-time snapshot of what we think will happen given the current circumstances. Any number of factors could influence the vote over the final month of the campaign.

There are sites that can help you arrive at your prediction. Real Clear Politics and 538 have polling data that can help you come up with a number. I use RCP mostly because they have a good interactive national map that's easy to use and they don't include polls conducted by companies like SurveyMonkey. They do, however include partisan polling, like Trafalgar and Change Research.

My prediction started with looking at a best case scenario for a Trump reelection. I started by putting all of the states shown to lean in one direction in that camp. RCP shows states like Indiana and Missouri leaning Trump and Oregon and Virginia leaning Biden when those states and others like them are certainly going to end up in those columns. That leaves 11 "battleground" states (and two one-vote congressional districts) that theoretically could go either way and gives a picture of a 226-125 Biden lead before assigning a winner in those states. In looking at Trump's best case scenario, I gave him every state in which he is marginally ahead and those he is behind by less less than five points, as well as the two congressional districts. That would provide Biden with a slim 278-260 win. To come out with a better scenario for Trump, you would need to assign one or more of Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin or New Hampshire to Trump and he is trailing in all of those states by more than five points.

However, I don't believe that Trump will achieve his best case numbers and Biden could win several more states, like Arizona, Ohio, Florida, Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia and Texas. I still think Trump will likely keep Texas, Iowa and Georgia, so my prediction as of today is 353-185 in favor of Biden.

If you choose to participate in this exercise, you are welcome to give different predictions over the course of the next month. I intend to post a final prediction on Nov. 2/3 and may even post a weekly prediction, depending on the level of participation.

Any prediction based on polling assumes the polled will vote and that their votes will count.
    Trump has as much as admitted these things aren't going to apply.
    Voters will be turned away, votes will be "lost", votes will be electronically changed. Every form of election rigging is being mobilized and will be used.
    The real question is if America will abide by the results of a clearly jiggered election.

Biden’s lead growing nationally and in the Battleground.

People aren’t swayed by his illness.

I get people thinking he is going to steal it, but he isn’t some mastermind. The map isn’t in his favor and Biden is over or at 50% in the critical States. There are less than 5% undecideds.

I just don’t see how he can steal it. Especially from a hospital bed.

Yeah, I think Biden’s lead has to really be overwhelming to win and I’m not seeing that, nor do I think that is possible with the current political climate in the country. He’s in the lead, but he basically has to lap him and he’s not even close to that.

Trump's victory in 16 came IMO as a result of pulling off narrow victories in a few rust belt states. I don't think he wins those this time around and may even lose FL, GA & NC.

I think Trump is the one who will need an overwhelming presence to win. And I don't think he has that this year.

Trump's victory in 16 came IMO as a result of pulling off narrow victories in a few rust belt states. I don't think he wins those this time around and may even lose FL, GA & NC.

I think Trump is the one who will need an overwhelming presence to win. And I don't think he has that this year.

I just wonder how many people will vote Trump when they get into the booth like they did in 2016. Did the pollsters change their approach because of what happened in 2016? Curious to see if that built in lead Biden has holds up.

I just wonder how many people will vote Trump when they get into the booth like they did in 2016. Did the pollsters change their approach because of what happened in 2016? Curious to see if that built in lead Biden has holds up.

The polls were right in 2016. There were some states that were barely polled because they were seen as firmly Democrat, but when you look at day-of polling everywhere that there was decent polling they were within the margin of error. The opinion media was the bigger issue because they had basically already had a coronation for Hillary because they, like many of us, just didn’t believe America would elect a carnival barker.

I think it’s just the pessimist in me. I’ve completely lost faith that the good guys win and the bad guys lose. It’s like Game of Thrones. Sure, it looks like the North has everything in the bag but those sneaky Lannisters always have a trick up their sleeve. I don’t think Trump is going to legitimately win, but I do think the wheels of power are so corrupt at this point that he will win.

I think it’s just the pessimist in me. I’ve completely lost faith that the good guys win and the bad guys lose. It’s like Game of Thrones. Sure, it looks like the North has everything in the bag but those sneaky Lannisters always have a trick up their sleeve. I don’t think Trump is going to legitimately win, but I do think the wheels of power are so corrupt at this point that he will win.

I'm somewhere in the middle between you and Heathen. Trump's supporters act like he won in a landslide yet he barely beat an extremely unpopular Hillary Clinton. But as you point out, things are different this time. Trump controls the Justice Department and the atmosphere is dystopian as far as faith in the process goes. Spoiled mail-in ballots will cost Biden at least 1-2% points, possibly more. Whether he can afford to lose those margins will be seen on election day.

I think Biden was helped by the debate, to the extent candidates "Win" debates. But I have to think there is serious consideration for not doing another debate.
    Assuming his internal polls are telling a similar story to the published polls we see, wouldn't it make sense to skip the debates: either by flat out refusing them due to virus concerns or making demands they know Trump would not accept?

I think Biden was helped by the debate, to the extent candidates "Win" debates. But I have to think there is serious consideration for not doing another debate.
    Assuming his internal polls are telling a similar story to the published polls we see, wouldn't it make sense to skip the debates: either by flat out refusing them due to virus concerns or making demands they know Trump would not accept?

There’s two ways to look at it. The first is that you take the two or three points Biden seems to have gained from the debate, bank it and count your blessings. Don’t put that at risk by getting on stage with Trump again.

The other is that you speculate Trump can’t change course and he will hurt himself even more the second and third time. I tend to think he won’t lose anymore, even if he performs equally bad. Debating him again can only help him, it can’t hurt him anymore.

I think Biden will debate him. He’s an institutionalist who probably sees Presidential Debates as part of the process. That doesn’t mean it’s the smart or winning decision though.

I can’t think this covid outbreak in the white house helps him at all with independents. People are floored with how bad the spread is with his staff while trying to spike the football with the ACB nomination.

Not debating would be a negative for Biden. I think he will be fine because the next debate is 'town hall' style so Trump should be kept in check or risk having one of the audience questioners say, "I wasn't asking you, Mr. President."

I'm somewhere in the middle between you and Heathen. Trump's supporters act like he won in a landslide yet he barely beat an extremely unpopular Hillary Clinton. But as you point out, things are different this time. Trump controls the Justice Department and the atmosphere is dystopian as far as faith in the process goes. Spoiled mail-in ballots will cost Biden at least 1-2% points, possibly more. Whether he can afford to lose those margins will be seen on election day.
    Polls have shown that a lot of the older Trump voters will be voting by mail. That's a large percentage of the people that will be voting for Trump. I think the mail-in ballot rejections will be fairly equal and not enough to swing the election either way.

I think Trump will have to pull out of the debates. I think he's sick enough that he can't hide it for the duration of a debate and I think that will be true all the way up to the election.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom