Earth... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

CrowFlies

Reaction score
    OK, new here. trying to start an Earth thread.
    lets see if i did this correctly.

there is water in the reservoir again. it went dry last May when they opened the flow for down stream IRR.
    it was DRY. Nada. no aqua. empty. we walked across it, i found a shiny quarter on a dirt pile next
    to a small puddle left after the water drained to the west.

i have a doves nest 20ft from a window. i have binocs and watch them often. the young one is flapping his
    wings, building muscles to fly soon. he doesnt yet have much tail feather so he sits on the edge of the nest
    and watches and cleans, repeat. mom dad come back and he sucks the milk from moms throat...
    then she spits out the seeds she took in and baby moves around picking them all up.
    i think last year they lost the egg....i dont recall seeing all this activity or seeing them in the nest this long.

it looks like this time will be successful for them. :)

earth is having a tuff time but small things, in their short supply, are real nice to see.
    walking along the reservoir hearing birds ducks frogs..water lapping....is so refreshing and so
    pleasant.

not sure what the feelings will be when they open the dam for down stream and that "reservoir"
    becomes a big dirt flatland again. sigh.

lake powell is not opening the flow for downstream. they must keep enough water to provide HydroElec
    for CO NM. if the water goes any lower the hydro elec is gone.

in 120 years humans have changed the planets weather. not just an area like the Maya did, this time they
    altered the entire planets... weather.

does this board always jump around....up and down while trying to type or post....
    ive checked other sites and my pc seems fine but when i was trying to post here it was
    up down moving and leaping.
    am i doing something incorrectly??

thanks.

does this board always jump around....up and down while trying to type or post....
    ive checked other sites and my pc seems fine but when i was trying to post here it was
    up down moving and leaping.
    am i doing something incorrectly??

thanks.
    Dunno. I don’t recall having that problem but then I suffer from C.R.A.F.T. which is Can’t Remember A Freaking Thing.

well. the water level at the reservoir had leveled out. it may have dropped down about a foot.
    i stuck a large branch in a large green plant newly grown on the edge of the old road and the
    water to see, use as a marker.
    today...the dead branch was blown into the water, the green plant was mostly now out
    of the water.
    the snow is mostly...gone..from the mountains feeding this river and reservoir now.
    by june 1..there wont be any snow on those mountains.
    the flow has slowed down and the edge of the water is receding.

ohmy. its been so nice having, seeing, water in the newly DRY reservoir.
    the last two years have taken the life from this reservoir, leaving it dirt bottom land
    full of weeds.
    hmmm....maybe thats how weed seeds spread...they grow in the dry then the wet takes
    the seeds downstream if or when it has water again.

anyhow....the water will be missed when its gone downstream to IRR growing on the
    reservations and farms. the reservoir wont fill up again this year.

no one knows what next year will bring. not even gawd.

there are large boulders along the river which are cracking in the heat.

there are small ones cracking, there are large ones...cracking in the heat.
    theyve been there a long, long, time and now it seems the heat is cracking them.

the clouds of dust thrown up by every vehicle driving down the dirt river road
    is stunning. huge billows of dust from every wheel that rolls on it. wow.
    at least...there is still water in the res.

there are large boulders along the river which are cracking in the heat.

there are small ones cracking, there are large ones...cracking in the heat.
    theyve been there a long, long, time and now it seems the heat is cracking them.

the clouds of dust thrown up by every vehicle driving down the dirt river road
    is stunning. huge billows of dust from every wheel that rolls on it. wow.
    at least...there is still water in the res.
    A friend of ours here in Ohio says that the entire state has shifted from grow zone 5 to grow zone 6.

A friend of ours here in Ohio says that the entire state has shifted from grow zone 5 to grow zone 6.
    what does this mean to you? im reading a bit not understanding much. seems like its
    getting..hotter there? less cold...

i floated a lil inflatable boat in the reservoir yesterday. then, i gave it to the 2 boys who
    were trying to find a way to float some storage containers. lol.
    i didnt pay much for it and they could balance it out. alone in it...i sank, sat in a hollow
    on one end of the inflatable. it was silly. they had way more fun.

a friend is looking for some pontoon floaters of some kind that he has stashed away
    at step moms. or such. hope one of those works.
    coleman used to make a great inflatable kayak...not anymore.

since theyre not releasing water down stream here it may mean we can actually play
    for a while this summer. cool.

lots of big trees...cottonwoods and others...fell over in the winds which seem gone for now.
    there are big broken trees all over the place.

what does this mean to you? im reading a bit not understanding much. seems like its
    getting..hotter there? less cold...

i floated a lil inflatable boat in the reservoir yesterday. then, i gave it to the 2 boys who
    were trying to find a way to float some storage containers. lol.
    i didnt pay much for it and they could balance it out. alone in it...i sank, sat in a hollow
    on one end of the inflatable. it was silly. they had way more fun.

a friend is looking for some pontoon floaters of some kind that he has stashed away
    at step moms. or such. hope one of those works.
    coleman used to make a great inflatable kayak...not anymore.

since theyre not releasing water down stream here it may mean we can actually play
    for a while this summer. cool.

lots of big trees...cottonwoods and others...fell over in the winds which seem gone for now.
    there are big broken trees all over the place.
    I remember being on a boat on that reservoir two years after it was first filled. It was like boating through a forest. Trees were both still standing, and had fallen down, they were tangled and snarled all along the edges.

The last of the snow pack is melting here and so the lakes here are filling up some as well. But they say the snow is all but gone, and gone even up in the high elevations were some snow usually remains all year long.

The lake nearest to me had wild donkeys trapped on a tiny island that was growing smaller and smaller as the water level increased. They used some kind of a barge to rescue them.

sam i dont understand why Each state doesnt send out a ..like a CCC...civilian conservation corp
    group to clean theses fallen trees.

why doesnt the 'us' do this anymore? who is it doesnt want to pay these people to help?
    we've got SO MANY men and women living in their vehicles why is it we cant pay them
    to do some work while they drive around hunting an affordable place to park?

another article out in a local paper about the cost of housing in resort areas where
    THEY HAVE NO WORKERS since working folks cannot afford rents in these places.

this contry and wallst have now created an entire new category of homeless people
    who cannot afford to live where they CAN find work.
    capitalism is a disease that is killing people.

i dont fret drugs as much as i do capitalism as cause of death.

sam i dont understand why Each state doesnt send out a ..like a CCC...civilian conservation corp
    group to clean theses fallen trees.

why doesnt the 'us' do this anymore? who is it doesnt want to pay these people to help?
    we've got SO MANY men and women living in their vehicles why is it we cant pay them
    to do some work while they drive around hunting an affordable place to park?

another article out in a local paper about the cost of housing in resort areas where
    THEY HAVE NO WORKERS since working folks cannot afford rents in these places.

this contry and wallst have now created an entire new category of homeless people
    who cannot afford to live where they CAN find work.
    capitalism is a disease that is killing people.

i dont fret drugs as much as i do capitalism as cause of death.
    My state does send out a lot of people to work in the forests, and the power companies send out double the number that the state employs. The magnitude of the task is almost beyond conception.

Here where I am the woods are crawling with arborist crews. Most of them are hired by the power company. They've been here for three or four years now. I would say they number 300 people in our county working full time. There are thousands of them working across the whole state.

Even with the large numbers they have here working full time, they will never finish that task. Trees and brush grow too darned fast.

Most of them are from Mexico. They have immigration exemptions of some kind for those crews, they have green cards or some equivalent. Those arborist companies are actually from Mexico, so they work above board, not like so many US companies who hire Mexican nationals under the table.

Most of the homeless people I've ever known are from the disabled community. Tree work would not be something they could do. It would maim or kill way too many of them. They would have to climb trees. Most of them couldn't climb trees.

sam im sure theres a lot of able peoples male female out there who would love
    a minimal wage to live and work in the hills, like they do in Canada.
    unless...here our peeps are too special. i dont know. they do it elsewhere yet
    we wont do it here.
    we wont do it cuz it would cost the outfit money...the gov, cty city state fed
    and they just dont wanna pay for it.

during Roosevelts CCC programs--right name??---anyhow..large groups of men loaded
    on trains moved west into the hills where they built the camps housing etc and lived there
    while they worked the forests. they got to keep 10% of pay and Had to send the rest back
    home to wife and kids theyd left behind to go do this work.
    people in Canada do this now. we dont do squat. can i write sh-it here??
    these men lived away for years while families got their pay checks.
    they cleared the dead fall in the forests.

Last edited:
    hard to post anything beyond....it is hot.

and the UN warns of food shortages.
    im certain there have been long term ongoing shortages across many dry continents
    so this must surely pertain to...'us'.. here on the northern continents.

ive still got some water to play in. :)

hard to post anything beyond....it is hot.

and the UN warns of food shortages.
    im certain there have been long term ongoing shortages across many dry continents
    so this must surely pertain to...'us'.. here on the northern continents.

ive still got some water to play in. :)

Yes, but do you have an inner tube to float on?

Yes, but do you have an inner tube to float on?
    i have tried to find one!! i gave the two boys the floaty that needed TWO people in it
    as i sank to the bottom. lolol.
    then i had a silly tube kind of one...and it didnt work out, then i got a funny sit on one
    and dont know if it works out yet. the water is flowing so i have to tie on to something
    and it would be...the broken pieces of pavement along the waters edge if i go in there.

Coleman does not make the inflatable sit on top kayak any longer. BUMMER man.

i have tried to find one!! i gave the two boys the floaty that needed TWO people in it
    as i sank to the bottom. lolol.
    then i had a silly tube kind of one...and it didnt work out, then i got a funny sit on one
    and dont know if it works out yet. the water is flowing so i have to tie on to something
    and it would be...the broken pieces of pavement along the waters edge if i go in there.

Coleman does not make the inflatable sit on top kayak any longer. BUMMER man.
    I always got my inner tubes from tire stores and filing stations that fix flats. I would buy used ones for a dollar or so. They'd usually have patches on them. And I would usually buy two or three more patches for them that I could put on myself.

Lee is looking for his two pontoon floaties....cant wait to see what theyre like. lol.
    they make inflatable paddle boards now....they seem to have taken over the kayak life.
    theyre made well but a bit heavy for where id be filling them and then launching them.

today at a diff locaton i used a cheap silly inflatable tied to a big rock and it did fine. :lol:.

we have so much grey sky smoke and dust in here its silly. cant see but 1/2 a mile in any direction.
    but water felt fine. dogs had a good time at the water too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom