Democratic debate discussion... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

crosswatt

Reaction score
    Figure I'll start this for those watching. Obvious starting point is the impeachment hearings and how the senators will vote if it is brought to the Senate.

Pete's twitter account had the "judgement" slam on Gabbard, but it looks like they took it down.

So I'm not in favor of Medicare for All or anything, but I'm tired of hearing about people being happy with their insurance. I can't imagine anyone actually being "happy" with their policy. It's a talking point that needs to die.
    I am perfectly happy with mine.

Buttigieg seems phony and pandering to me. He's like a young Joe Biden in that regards.
    He's chasing those voters currently, so it's not beyond the pale to imagine he's utilizing some facets of Biden's persona to pull them in, albeit without the gaffs that somehow made Biden "uncle Joe".

I have Anthem/Blue shield (Pretty sure) I mean I've had worse. But I mean for what I pay and what it cost me oop I know others who have worse. But I would say esp the past 5 years that there isn't anything I can complain about. I also take less pay then some other places for a better insurance.
    Just to circle back here, this I think is a problem that we need to address as a country somehow. Not necessarily with Medicare for All either. But you shouldn't have to take less money just to get medical coverage you like. Not you specifically, but in general. Like I shouldn't be locked in my secure but highly dead ended GS job just because the insurance is better than anything I'd get on the outside. Like a higher paying job in terms of cash flow and the ability to buy in to Medicare? That's on the surface a highly attractive offer to me, and one that I think would really benefit my family and wallet.

I generally agree, however....

My wife works for the State of Florida. Her insurance is freaking amazing.

We pay like $180/month for a $250 per person deductible ($500 family), and like a $4000 or 5000 max family out of pocket (half for a single person).

My old work insurance's deductible was about as high as our out of pocket max

The federal plans had a breakdown for years where you essentially paid for however many folks were covered, like self, self and spouse, and then a sort of "add a kid" list. The adjusted that to three options now, self, self+spouse, and self+family, which means one kid costs as much as seven. It was a premium increase for me. And We've had good plans, but nothing I'd be upset about losing, especially not in favor of something more comprehensive. Too many coverage gaps and pitfalls inherent in "out of network" and "non-covered" procedures still in most plans I'm familiar with.

Buttigieg seems phony and pandering to me. He's like a young Joe Biden in that regards.
    I don't see him as phony. I do see him as a bit scripted and rehearsed for the debates. It only bugs me when he then uses the same catch phrases on interviews after the debate.

Listening to him in regular interviews, he will still fit in some phrases, but he is a lot more authentic.

I think it is kind of funny when folks try to say he can't understand discrimination, when talking about minorities. Like growing up gay was a blast for him.

I don't see him as phony. I do see him as a bit scripted and rehearsed for the debates. It only bugs me when he then uses the same catch phrases on interviews after the debate.

Listening to him in regular interviews, he will still fit in some phrases, but he is a lot more authentic.

I think it is kind of funny when folks try to say he can't understand discrimination, when talking about minorities. Like growing up gay was a blast for him.
    Just because someone understands discrimination because they were discriminated against, it doesn't mean that they aren't discriminatory themselves. There are things from Buttigieg's past actions that lead me to believe he's not concerned about the poor and people of color, so I think it's a valid concern with him.

He seems like just another plutocrat that's saying all the things his focus group people are telling him to say to have mass appeal.

Just because someone understands discrimination because they were discriminated against, it doesn't mean that they aren't discriminatory themselves. There are things from Buttigieg's past actions that lead me to believe he's not concerned about the poor and people of color, so I think it's a valid concern with him.

He seems like just another plutocrat that's saying all the things his focus group people are telling him to say to have mass appeal.
    He has a pretty tiny kitchen for being a plutocrat.

Just to circle back here, this I think is a problem that we need to address as a country somehow. Not necessarily with Medicare for All either. But you shouldn't have to take less money just to get medical coverage you like. Not you specifically, but in general. Like I shouldn't be locked in my secure but highly dead ended GS job just because the insurance is better than anything I'd get on the outside. Like a higher paying job in terms of cash flow and the ability to buy in to Medicare? That's on the surface a highly attractive offer to me, and one that I think would really benefit my family and wallet.

For some reason I feel like I should expand on this some. Yes I do take less then I could make else where for a better insurance but it is also part of an over all package. As example:

Competitor, 70k*a year. Bare basic insurance, no retirement, no off holiday pay (ill explain), 5 sick days, 5 vacation days to start maxing out at 10,5 day work week.

My employer: 60k* a year. 3 health plans, max contribution to 401k, double days for holiday AND paid if you'e off the holiday, if you're sick you're sick (they paid me the entire time on FMLA), I forget our vacation days though I'm at 20 days per year now, also 3 day work week (it's still 40 hours though).

So for me the overall package which includes health, dental and vision is enough for me to take overall less money while gaining all the benefits.

May be at his next event he can get 3 people to show up.

I've heard him speak on the radio. Just that is enough to tell me he has no chance. Dude sounds like the dentist elf from Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer.
    For all I know, he may look like Terry Tate but the guy I 'see' from his voice is Woody Allen.

For some reason I feel like I should expand on this some. Yes I do take less then I could make else where for a better insurance but it is also part of an over all package. As example:

Competitor, 70k*a year. Bare basic insurance, no retirement, no off holiday pay (ill explain), 5 sick days, 5 vacation days to start maxing out at 10,5 day work week.

My employer: 60k* a year. 3 health plans, max contribution to 401k, double days for holiday AND paid if you'e off the holiday, if you're sick you're sick (they paid me the entire time on FMLA), I forget our vacation days though I'm at 20 days per year now, also 3 day work week (it's still 40 hours though).

So for me the overall package which includes health, dental and vision is enough for me to take overall less money while gaining all the benefits.
    And now, what if you can have that exact same job and packages.. but the government health insurance is better and cheaper. Win win.

Then.. what if you convince your employer to just give you the 5-6k /year they were spending on your health care.. or like half of it. win win win.

And now, what if you can have that exact same job and packages.. but the government health insurance is better and cheaper. Win win.

Then.. what if you convince your employer to just give you the 5-6k /year they were spending on your health care.. or like half of it. win win win.

IF it's as good or better I'm down

IF it's as good or better I'm down
    I think that's why it's smart to do the Medicare for all who want it. American's think their plans rock.. then when they see options they may be like...

1574392718208.png

When I was growing up, my mom had really good insurance with the school board, and we were under her policy. We were happy with it.

When I began working, I had really good insurance. I was happy with it.

Then I moved here, and haven't been happier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom