Critical race theory (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveXA

Reaction score
    Frankly, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the Critical Race Theory curriculum. What is it, where does it come from, and is it legitimate? Has anyone here read it and maybe give a quick summary?

If this has been covered in another thread, then I missed it.

How do you not mention white supremacy, oppression or racism when teaching American history, let alone black history? You wouldn't be teaching history at that point, you'd be teaching the fabled American exceptionalism. Why is it so horrible to critically study racism and the role it's played in shaping this countries history, policies and people?

All the other crap you mentioned has nothing to do with CRT and are made up by the right wing.
    I remember learning about racism against black people in school, but I never heard the phrase White supremacy mentioned. Teaching about racism is fine, but Critical race theory is garbage.

I remember learning about racism against black people in school, but I never heard the phrase White supremacy mentioned. Teaching about racism is fine, but Critical race theory is garbage.

Then you received a poor education, and I think that's reflexed in some of the opinions you've expressed here. You should have been taught about it and probably many other things as well in regards to race. Not teaching children about things that are real and impact their lives, the lives of those around them and society as a whole, leads them become ignorant adults.

We see a lot of that today, unfortunately.

Did you know that Herman Melvill's classic book Moby Dick is a scathing critique of White Supremacy, and Empire?

Or that Jack London's book Sea Wolf is scathing critique of Slavery?

What an idiotic strawman, but it's not surprising because you always need pictures to convey your message.
    @SamAndreas judging from the response to your questions, SFL did not know that information (nor did I) but rather than being spurred to make a non-sequitur response, I'm spurred to re-reading Moby Dick and googling Sea Wolf to see what it says. Moby Dick was required reading but I have never head of Sea Wolf.

What an idiotic strawman, but it's not surprising because you always need pictures to convey your message.
    :unsure:

This is a picture of idiotic strawmen along a lane, in a field, in a nice farm like country side setting. The sky is blue, and there are mountains in the background:

cg9qzscr-1353902186.jpg

I don't know, maybe one of them is a strawwoman.

@SamAndreas judging from the response to your questions, SFL did not know that information (nor did I) but rather than being spurred to make a non-sequitur response, I'm spurred to re-reading Moby Dick and googling Sea Wolf to see what it says. Moby Dick was required reading but I have never head of Sea Wolf.
    I like your thoughtful response better than his non-sequitur.

However I'm quite adept at non-sequitur responses as well.

:)

Teaching black history is totally different that CRT and you guys know that, but I understand why yall try to conflate the two.

I don't think black history includes teaching about white supremacy, making white kids feel guilty, making black kids feel oppressed, for black kids to be careful around white people, or that America's history is primarily one of oppression and racism.
    How do you teach about black history without mentioning white supremacy? Do you think history students shouldn’t be taught about white supremacy?

Oh, and you’ll be relieved to find out that CRT isn’t about making white kids feel guilty or making black kids feel oppressed. Those are lies that Rufo told, on purpose, to discredit CRT.

Black kids are taught to be careful around white people by their parents, not by schools.

Oppression and racism make up a sizable portion of America‘s history. Native Americans, slaves, Chinese laborers, etc. History should be taught accurately. Why do you think it shouldn’t be taught accurately?

Teaching black history is totally different that CRT and you guys know that, but I understand why yall try to conflate the two.

I don't think black history includes teaching about white supremacy, making white kids feel guilty, making black kids feel oppressed, for black kids to be careful around white people, or that America's history is primarily one of oppression and racism.
    So, in other words, whitewash history?

MTG's own version of CRT:

An alleged “Nazi homeschooling group” based in Ohio has been widely condemned, amid reports that it distributed lesson plans which included writing exercises based on quotes by Adolf Hitler.

A couple calling themselves “Mr and Mrs Saxon” established the “Dissident Homeschool” channel on Telegram in 2021, according to reporting by Anonymous Comrades Collective, an anti-fascist research group, verified by Huffpost and Vice.

The channel, which has almost 2,500 subscribers, distributes “ready-made lesson plans”, Huffpost reported, including history lessons which praise the Confederate general Robert E Lee as a “grand role model for young, white men” and denigrate Martin Luther King Jr as “the antithesis of our civilization and our people”.

The Saxons were identified by Huffpost and Vice as Logan and Katja Lawrence, from Upper Sandusky, a town of about 7,000 in northern Ohio.

In a statement, Stephanie Siddens, interim Ohio state school board president, said she was “outraged and saddened” by the emergence of the group.

“There is absolutely no place for hate-filled, divisive and hurtful instruction in Ohio’s schools, including our state’s home-schooling community,” Siddens said.

“I emphatically and categorically denounce the racist, antisemitic and fascist ideology and materials being circulated as reported in recent media stories.”

The emergence of the group has led to calls for a revision of the way Ohio oversees homeschooling. Huffpost reported that parents planning to homeschool must submit “a brief outline of the intended curriculum” and a “list of teaching materials” to the local public school superintendent.

“Then, if the ‘home education plan’ meets the basic requirements of state law, the superintendent must excuse the child from public school attendance,” Huffpost wrote.

“But even in states with these types of requirements, there’s little to no enforcement mechanism to ensure that parents are actually teaching the curriculum they submitted to the superintendent.”

So, in other words, whitewash history?
    Did you hear the phrase White supremacy while you were in elementary, Jr high or high school? I never did, but I did hear about racism and slavery.

Your reply sounds an awful lot like:

I don't think leaving out intersectionality, queer studies and Black Lives Matter is whitewashing history.

If the revised framework for the Advanced Placement course in African American Studies had been the pilot program all along, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis wouldn’t have objected and the proposal wouldn’t have become national news. But the College Board, which designs and administers AP classes and exams, felt the need to wave a red flag by including such “topics” as intersectionality, queer studies and Black Lives Matter in what should have ostensibly been a high-concept history class.

Now, just three weeks after Florida education commissioner Manny Diaz said no to the proposed AP course, the College Board has pulled back on polarizing subjects and divisive authors like critical race theorist Kimberlé Crenshaw— which will now be available as areas for “independent research” alongside topics such as “black conservatism.”

...Indeed, DeSantis’s infamous “Stop WOKE Act,” which prohibits teaching critical race theory concepts in K-12 requires classroom instruction on “the history of African Americans, including the history of African peoples before the political conflicts that led to the development of slavery, the passage to America, the enslavement experience, abolition, and the history and contributions of African Americans of the African diaspora to society.”

So when Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-NY), on the day that Florida’s rejection hit the news, tweeted that “DeSantis wants to ban our history,” he was either misinformed or disingenuous.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/04/revised-ap-african-american-studies-is-the-course-students-deserve/

Did you hear the phrase White supremacy while you were in elementary, Jr high or high school? I never did, but I did hear about racism and slavery.

Your reply sounds an awful lot like:

I don't think leaving out intersectionality, queer studies and Black Lives Matter is whitewashing history.

If the revised framework for the Advanced Placement course in African American Studies had been the pilot program all along, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis wouldn’t have objected and the proposal wouldn’t have become national news. But the College Board, which designs and administers AP classes and exams, felt the need to wave a red flag by including such “topics” as intersectionality, queer studies and Black Lives Matter in what should have ostensibly been a high-concept history class.

Now, just three weeks after Florida education commissioner Manny Diaz said no to the proposed AP course, the College Board has pulled back on polarizing subjects and divisive authors like critical race theorist Kimberlé Crenshaw— which will now be available as areas for “independent research” alongside topics such as “black conservatism.”

...Indeed, DeSantis’s infamous “Stop WOKE Act,” which prohibits teaching critical race theory concepts in K-12 requires classroom instruction on “the history of African Americans, including the history of African peoples before the political conflicts that led to the development of slavery, the passage to America, the enslavement experience, abolition, and the history and contributions of African Americans of the African diaspora to society.”

So when Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-NY), on the day that Florida’s rejection hit the news, tweeted that “DeSantis wants to ban our history,” he was either misinformed or disingenuous.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/04/revised-ap-african-american-studies-is-the-course-students-deserve/

I absolutely did hear about white supremacy when I was a kid in the 80s in, yes, public school. We talked about it in American history when I was in high school and a bit about it in a history class in college. Didn't spend a lot of time on it, but enough to cover the basics.

I stand by what I said tho. A lot of what passes for history is a whitewashed version of it.

When I was in Jr. High, David Duke almost got elected governor of Louisiana.

David Duke held a rally at the football stadium of the school. I attended the with my parents and many other people, including school employees.

So yea, i heard quite a bit about White Supremacy while i was in school.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom